Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #19
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Will also keep track of the mileage of the car at the time level is marked . The belt would be good bonus .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Remarked coolant level when cold ( 37 degrees ) at 41,696 miles on 3/2/12 . Pics :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC1708.jpg (65.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1720.jpg (47.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1719.jpg (53.6 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 03-05-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I got my Yaris with 20K miles and and I think origional pump. I noticed some spray under hood probably 2 years ago but never gave it any thought. I now have 140K miles on same water pump. The plastic resevor tank is empty but radiator is topped off. Would adding fluid in tank create more pressure possibly causing the old pump to leak
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
I got my Yaris with 20K miles and and I think origional pump. I noticed some spray under hood probably 2 years ago but never gave it any thought. I now have 140K miles on same water pump. The plastic resevor tank is empty but radiator is topped off. Would adding fluid in tank create more pressure possibly causing the old pump to leak

One of the jobs of the radiator cap is to open up if the pressure in the cooling system gets too high. If you add too much coolant the worst that will happen is that it will overflow the reservoir and make a mess.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
What about using the coolant at WalMart that says it works in all newer vehicles?
Prestone brand?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #24
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
What about using the coolant at WalMart that says it works in all newer vehicles?
Prestone brand?
Don't do it. Really, coolants are not designed to be mixed like motor oils. Cross contamination could result in a plugged up cooling system. If you wanted to change off toyota pink stuff you'd need to do a complete flush of the system and them refill with whatever you choose.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I read this thread a few days ago and was a bit concerned re my car. The exterior of of my overflow reservoir is even cloudier (much cloudier) than on gabriel2012's car AND after popping off the cap of the reservoir I couldn't see ANY of the pink 50-50 coolant/water mixture. I asked a service writer at my local Toyota dealer about this earlier today and he came out to my car and we both poked our heads around and he couldn't really tell the current level of coolant either (although our guess -- which turned out to be wrong -- was the same). I bought a container of the 50-50 mixture from the parts department and bit by bit added it to the overflow reservoir. The angle I was pouring from to minimize spilling meant that I had to pour a bit and then move to a different location to check the level. I ended up overfilling past the full line. A service writer borrowed what could best be described as 'a car version of a huge eye dropper' from a mechanic and got some of the excess out for me. He said to leave the cap off the top of the overflow reservoir, keep checking it, and when the level returned back to the fill line to put the cap back on. Later in the day (between my 2 previous posts) I pulled into a very well lit Valero station to check the coolant level. I noticed something that may have been mentioned on another thread re this subject, but not in any of the posts I read on other threads and the service writer at the Toyota dealership wasn't clued in on this either -- namely, that the overflow reservoir has it's own built in overflow mechanism/channel. Every previous overflow reservoir in a car that I remember seeing that has an overflow 'mechanism' to accommodate it has/had a HOSE as the overflow mechanism. The 2007 Yaris has a hollow CHANNEL that is part of the formed 'plastic' of the reservoir itself. The top of this channel is under the cap of the overflow reservoir and the bottom of the channel is open, allowing any overflow out to the street/ground. So, slightly overfilling the overflow reservoir past the fill line won't be an issue as any excess that pressure pushes up to the cap will be released through this overflow channel and I therefore could confidently put the cap back on the overflow reservoir.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
So I'm having the similar symptom, just getting up to 100,000 miles on the 2007 HB. Also a slight creaky sound when driving, only audible if I'm driving alone on the road.

The reservoir has always held the same level, usually near the high mark. Until two weeks ago: it was on the low mark all of a sudden, so I did a flush, put in $36 of brand new Toyota long life. The very next day it was down to low again. I figured air pockets in the hoses after the re-fill, so I filled it up to the high line again. Next day it was half way down, and the day after it was down to the low line again, driving about 15 miles each day.

I haven't found any source of leak, and did perform a 19psi pressure test on the coolant system, and it is holding pressure. No visible pink anywhere, except dirty under the hood (could be salt spray from winter).

Bought the Advance Auto Part pump, BMG, with the paper gasket. Went to three different stores trying to buy a different gasket. None available. So I'll be using the flimsy paper gasket when doing the water pump replacement myself tomorrow.

Problem? Should/could I use the old gasket, or use both the new and old together (double gasket)?

Also, I'll be using Prestone 50/50 long life coolant instead of the Toyota brand. Ill advised, but problem?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
I would forget the gasket,and use BLACK RTV.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I can't get the one pulley bolt out. Head is almost stripped, wd40 didn't work. Got the other two out just fine, but this bolt is impossible.

Ideas for getting it out in a space that doesn't allow for much tools?

Edit: Didn't found any evidence of leak by looking at the outside of the pump though. No signs of coolant anywhere. I can't seem to locate any leak.

Last edited by swidd; 03-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
dfhnpdx

Drives: 2009 yaris
2009 Hatch.. 140,000 mi. Water pump just went..Napa brand Pump new $56.. Lifetime Warranty.. Easy change..4hrs..
dfhnpdx is offline   Reply With Quote