Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Cathy

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Coolant Light

I've had my liftback automatic for a week now, and when I went out in it today I noticed my coolant light stayed on for what seemed like a long time after all the other warning lights went off. The light did go off, but I am a tad bit worried. Of course it's a long weekend and the dealers service department was closed, do you think it's safe to drive until I can have it checked out on Tuesday?

Thanks,
Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
jsurles

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
It's a light that lets you know the engine (or coolant) is still cool.. I can't remember if the manual said to let it go off before you started driving or not. I hope it's okay, After I start up my car it stays on until I get to almost the first stop sign leaving my neighborhood. :)

Look in your manual for the dash indicator lights.. it will describe what it is for sure. Don't trust me, I'm crazy! haha!
jsurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
yaris-intuit
Aunty Yaris is In!

Drives: Blazing Blue, 2 Dr Hatchback
Mine, does the same thing, and I was worried too. I just means that the engine is still cool, even if your sitting in an heated underground parkade like I am. It eventually goes aways like jsurles said by the time you get driving after a few minutes. The only time I don't see it come on is when my car is outside baking in the hot sun all day. According to the owners manual this is normal behaviour unless it stays on constantly. I've had my car for 2 weeks now.
yaris-intuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Cathy

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them. The car was last driven friday night and about noon I went out and noticed the light, and it was probably close to 100 degrees.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
The cool light will stay on until the engine has reached normal operating temps. you can dive it with the cool light on but drive it easy. the light should go off within a couple miles/minutes
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:29 AM   #6
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
It's normal.At my Yaris, the light remained green for 2 minutes and it was 43C οutside!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
There has been a thread on this topic... It is normal

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579

If this dont work the thread is called "reluctant upshift to 3rd while cold".
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Pompeii66

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan
Wait until the dead of winter when the thing stays on forever.
Never plan on taking off in a hurry in the winter after the car has been sitting all night.
Seems like you'll never hit 4th gear and you'll be afraid your going to blow up your engine.

Had an Echo a few years back and hated that. Didn't realize the Yaris was going to be that way too.

Hmm. . . . .
Wonder if there is a way to disable that????

Last edited by Pompeii66; 09-03-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Pompeii66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeii66
Never plan on taking off in a hurry in the winter after the car has been sitting all night.
Seems like you'll never hit 4th gear and you'll be afraid your going to blow up your engine.

Had an Echo a few years back and hated that. Didn't realize the Yaris was going to be that way too.

Hmm. . . . .
Wonder if there is a way to diable that????
It's called letting it warm up a little longer
Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Pompeii66

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
It's called letting it warm up a little longer
Letting it warm up a little longer is not disabling it, GENIUS.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #11
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeii66

Hmm. . . . .
Wonder if there is a way to disable that????
Uh... why the heck do you want to disable a that? It's an indicator telling you your engine is not warmed up yet..

If your winters are that cold get a block heater.. -.-

And flaming 07WYarisRS was probably the 2nd dumbest thing to do since he's actually trying to help explain to you WHY that light is there.
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Same thing here on the Echo... the light remain ON until the engine get warm. :)
Old 09-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I remember not long after I got my ECHO I saw the blue light and I thought something was wrong. So I called the dealers service dept and told him about it and he's like its just the temp light letting you know the car is still cold. Boy did I feel like and idiot! But it was or is my first car with idiot lights (no pun intended), my previous car had a guage which I perfer but oh well! The reason it doesn't upshift to the overdrive gears (4th) is to bring up the engine to "normal" operating temps faster also its emission reasons (from what I read).
Old 09-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

It was a smart ass remark because it's a silly question

Why would you want to disable somthing that saves your emissions control system, saves fuel and helps protect the engine and transmission from damage?

If you can't stand the car holding the shift a slightly longer warm up is a solution to the problem.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #15
Pompeii66

07WYarisRS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-Holes.jpg (35.1 KB, 201 views)
Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #16
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Maybe you could try to act a little more mature.
It's not very often we get to see someone get their panties all in a bunch and carry on like you do... that the type of response I would expect from my 11 year old niece not a mature car owner.

If you knew ANYTHING about an automatic transmission you would know how to disable it but then you would know that after doing so it won't shift properly when warm either and will shorten the life of the gears and clutches.
GENIUS
If you want to get around it you have to warm it up longer…

Maybe it's just good common sense on the part of the other owner/operators here not to rev the living shit out of a cold engine/trans to the point they fear they are going to blow the engine because it's not yet up to normal operating temps and holding the shift.
Most cars will hold top gear, overdrive or TCL until they reach operating temps.
Both engines and trans are temp sensor controlled and disabling the sensors will send false signals to the ECU's and the car can't adjust timing, fuel trims or shift points accordingly because it had no way of knowing if they are up to safe operating temps or not and will run in fail safe/open loop modes. Bang goes your reliability, warranty and longitivity of these components.

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 09-03-2006 at 11:37 PM.