Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

Drives: 2007 Vitz HB
Fail: Cabin FAN

has anyone had has any issues with their internal dashboard cabin fan? Overall I love my little vitz. I feel that I get every penny worth's when I drive it. This is my only issue so far.

Thanks for any input
Fidelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

just to say what is happening is the fan werks intermittently..... I know for sure it isnt the fuse or other factors. I am thinking I need to find the part number and just replace it. I run my AC 24/7.

culprit:

found it on ebay NEW http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230835769559
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have heard of one other person having the fan motor fail.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

yeah i figured it is mechanical and it's bound to fail eventually from a lot of usage. Luckily this fan is easily accessible underneath the glove box.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
My dads Tacoma fan did the same thing . I think the fan was about $60, TYC brand from eBay ...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Ramblin yari

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Mine failed 9/2012. I'm pretty sure it was from a clogged condensate drain. Why? Because the clog just happened again this week. Left turns would cause a squeal, grinding noise in the fan. As I was dropping it off to make sure that it got checked out before the fan failed again, I found wetness on the passenger floor. They drained the condensate out of the housing and unclogged the drain.

Funny the dealer didn't mention the cause of the failure last time. I paid $57 for diagnostic fee and cleaning out the condensate drain today. Fan sounds fine now. I now know how to clean it out myself now thanks to forum members that did the leg work and did photo documentation.

My question now. Those who have added the cabin air filter that the Toyota failed to install, did it fix the condensate drain clogging?

Also when I asked a year or so ago about replacing the cabin air filter, the service manager insisted they don't have cabin air filters. I took his word for it.
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin yari View Post
Mine failed 9/2012. I'm pretty sure it was from a clogged condensate drain. Why? Because the clog just happened again this week. Left turns would cause a squeal, grinding noise in the fan. As I was dropping it off to make sure that it got checked out before the fan failed again, I found wetness on the passenger floor. They drained the condensate out of the housing and unclogged the drain.

Funny the dealer didn't mention the cause of the failure last time. I paid $57 for diagnostic fee and cleaning out the condensate drain today. Fan sounds fine now. I now know how to clean it out myself now thanks to forum members that did the leg work and did photo documentation.

My question now. Those who have added the cabin air filter that the Toyota failed to install, did it fix the condensate drain clogging?

Also when I asked a year or so ago about replacing the cabin air filter, the service manager insisted they don't have cabin air filters. I took his word for it.
I have never had the drain clog on either of my streetable Yaris (of which I installed the filter from day one). I have had them clog on previous vehicles which lacked a filter.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Ramblin yari

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
I do have oak trees that massively pollinate my car and then shed the flowers. I'm pretty sure the flowers don't make it through the screen under the wiper. I'm hoping adding the cabin air filter and replacing it regularly will fix the situation.

It seems the service departments and techs don't get paid to think. Or maybe they get paid more when they don't think and communicate with the car owner.
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Fan failure

3 screws to remove the fan and then unplug it. I took wd40 to clean and lube it and it works. It may be a build up of junk. DO NOT DO THIS WHILE POWERED AND / OR ON AS WD40 HAS A FLAMMABLE CARRIER.

I did this about a month ago and still working great.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My fan has started to intermittently work as well
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote