Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
Question Dealer oil change

I just got my second oil change at the dealer. I was going to do it myself and just buy the filter but the dealer told me if Im going to do it myself I must keep all receipts and documents for warranty purposes. Also one of the mechanic that was there and talked to said that its better to do the oil change at the dealer since their oil is better quality.... So does anyone know if this is true??
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
receipts for oil , oil filter , air filter , etc. and documentation ( date and miles of oil change , air filter change , etc. ) in MAINTENANCE manual that comes with the car . As for quality of their oil is BULL . Just want you to keep coming back for business . Always look for possible oil leak after their work . Have seen where they don't tighten oil filter enough and it will start to leak . Sometimes takes awhile before it starts or begins right away . Last , check oil level . They usually overfill oil by about 1/2 a quart or sometimes more . Seen that for ouselves . That's why I do oil changes for both YARII .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
There "oil" is more than likely no better than anyone elses...there not going to use cheepo oil,but you could put just as good oil in yourself....I'd stay with toyota filters though...just me.By law they can NOT persuade/tell you what oil to use..........if you do the oil /stuff yourself IT DOES NOT VOID ANY WARRANTIES!!!.But, if you do not feel like foolin with it,then, have them do it.If anything fouls up...it's on THEM!!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
Thanks for the advise! I cant believe that guy at first thats why I posted here in regards to this. Do you know at what KM you should be changing your airfilter? because I turnd that down today. My car has 14 800km and its a year old. I just want to keep the car all maintained just in case i have a warranty issue.
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Hershey

I change air filter and cabin air filter once a year or 10,000 > 14,000 miles . We have plenty of dusty roads and road salt dust that can cause havoc with air filter .
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I've been getting my oil changed (on my Celica) at the local Toyota dealer since 2002 and never had a problem. I get it changed there because it is extremely convienent for me.

Actually, oil changes are probably about the cheapest thing a dealer does.
My dealer charges about $27.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I've been getting my oil changed (on my Celica) at the local Toyota dealer since 2002 and never had a problem. I get it changed there because it is extremely convienent for me.

Actually, oil changes are probably about the cheapest thing a dealer does.
My dealer charges about $27.
Wow the dealer around me charges 35 for a regular and 50 for "synthetic", I can do it myself for 20-25. I never take mine to the dealer, cause they always screw up something on my car. Last time, was for the recall, and the mechanic put holes in the rear right air bag cover, in what he thought was a bolt cover(where it says "srs airbag", and stuck the seatbelt behind the seat, and broke the bottom bolt cover on the front passenger side.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDon7 View Post
Wow the dealer around me charges 35 for a regular and 50 for "synthetic", I can do it myself for 20-25. I never take mine to the dealer, cause they always screw up something on my car. Last time, was for the recall, and the mechanic put holes in the rear right air bag cover, in what he thought was a bolt cover(where it says "srs airbag", and stuck the seatbelt behind the seat, and broke the bottom bolt cover on the front passenger side.
Yeah, of course it can be done cheaper if you DIY.
However, I presently live in an apt and the dealer is less than a mile away.
Also, I usually never have to wait more than 30 minutes.

There are horror storries about almost any dealer or repair shop and the work done is no better than the person performing it.
With this in mind I always check their work before starting my car and leaving the lot.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
I had my oil change done 2 weeks ago at the dealer and they only hand tightened the drain plug and it dripped for a few days before I noticed. I pay 20+ tax for my oil changes at the dealer, so I dont even worry about DIY for that price. I will learn to take the car home and check the drain plug, filter and oil level after they change it.
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
am dreading my 1st 8000KM oil change at the dealership - I wish there was an online webcam at the dealership I could access! hahaha
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Chilli...........don't get too wrapped up in the gloom and doom stories...if THEY foul-up..mak'em fix-it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggydee View Post
Also one of the mechanic that was there and talked to said that its better to do the oil change at the dealer since their oil is better quality.... So does anyone know if this is true??
No its a lie. So factor that into your thinking about dealers.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
RedRide

Yeah, any given shop is bound to screw up eventually.
Fortunately, most of the time they hopfully get it right.

Check the oill level before leaving the shop and check it again for the next couple of days to insure there are no leaks and you will be fine. That's what I always do. :)_
Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Yeah, of course it can be done cheaper if you DIY.
However, I presently live in an apt and the dealer is less than a mile away.
Also, I usually never have to wait more than 30 minutes.

There are horror storries about almost any dealer or repair shop and the work done is no better than the person performing it.
With this in mind I always check their work before starting my car and leaving the lot.
Definatly convenient, at least for this dealer near me the users on this site are more intelligent about how to take this car apart then toyotas own mechanics.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
The 1NZ engine is produced in Japan and does run smoother on true JDM oil....something only Toyota dealers have.

Just something to think about.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Hershey

yeh , glad we didn't listen to the mechanic at the TOYOTA service that our YARII have oil leaking from the head gasket . Bought a black light at an auto parts store and found the leak(s) coming from the back of timing chain cover . You can see my posts on this issue in the this section .
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The 1NZ engine is produced in Japan and does run smoother on true JDM oil....something only Toyota dealers have.

Just something to think about.
You're kidding, I hope!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote