Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #37
DV-002

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
exactly the point. all that BS on that webpage is intended to hide the fact that they are a group III oil. check this page out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

specifically, this portion:

"Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Mobil, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil in North America."

you wanted evidence, you got it. i really doubt mobil would spend tons of money to develop this process and NOT use it. here's what amsoil has on their webpage:

"Currently, each AMSOIL lubricant is formulated with the synthetic base oil or combination of base oils best suited to that lubricant’s application demands. They are optimized using the most advanced premium synthetic base oils. Although AMSOIL has publicly stated that its XL motor oils are Group III based and its other motor oils are PAO based, specific formulary information beyond that is exclusive and proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives. Each has its unique set of properties, and AMSOIL, based on its extensive experience, combines them differently for superior performance in any given application or operating condition (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperature, etc.). "

so their XL line is group III hydrocracked, but every other oil line is PAO based, which means group IV. the proof is in the pudding, now someone close this thread, PLEASE!!

--B
I can't find a single sentence in any of your links that says Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil is indeed a Group III synthetic.
Castrol is Group III. Castrol Blend is a mixture of Group III and conventional oils.
But as far as I know Mobil 1 is a true Group IV synthetic motor oil.
Mobil 1 is recommended by everybody I know for road car use.

Motul is the best brand of synthetic motor oil for race use . . . if you can get your hands on some.
Better yet our Yari might run best with zero viscosity Neo Synthetic oil.
DV-002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #38
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV-002 View Post
Castrol is Group III.
Most of the Castrol Syntec lineup is Grp III, but Castrol Syntec 0W30, aka "German Castrol" ("Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle) is a mixture of PAO/Ester so Grp IV/V. It's no longer green but it's still good stuff
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #39
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
DON'T use Mobil1...it contains Camel Urine!
I highly doubt that.......
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #40
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Cool, thanks for the info, Mobil-1 user here

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #41
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
Most of the Castrol Syntec lineup is Grp III, but Castrol Syntec 0W30, aka "German Castrol" ("Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle) is a mixture of PAO/Ester so Grp IV/V. It's no longer green but it's still good stuff
tons of people swear by castrol syntec 0w-30. i hear nothing but positive stuff about that oil. i'd only consider using mobil 1 (extended performance), amsoil (non-XL), and castrol syntec 0w-30, whichever is more readily available.

--B
Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #42
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
If it's good enough for the space shuttle,it should work ok in my yaris.
floydisrock is offline   Reply With Quote