Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Roof Racks and FE

I am a recent adopter of FE/hypermiling techniques.

I need to expand the storage capacity of my vehicle and am considering a few options. If any of you FE experts out there have experience with the following options I'd appreciate some feedback:

1. I am consindering purchasing a roof bag that doesn't require roof bars versus a rack/box (Roofbag.com). Wonder if it will fit the sedan roof, and whether this might be a better option than a permanently mounted rack as I will only use it as needed. I am sure fuel economy will be awful while it is mounted, but that will be infrequently.

2. May buy a rack: am looking at the Prorack Whispbar from a NZ company..check it out at RackAttack.com...wind tunnel info looks good

3. Might get a tow bar instead, and add a storage platform/box

4. Carrying skis: better in a box, or on the rack accessory ski clamp-carrier things??

5. What is the most areodynamic roof box in your experience/opinion?

6. I read that roof boxes are actually the wrong shape for optimal aerodynamic performace: they should be more bulbous at the front, and slope down from the front to the rear. Would mounting a box backwards, and positioining it further back on a roof rack so that the windshiel deflects some air over the front of the thing, improve aerodynamic performance?

All opinions welcome! Thanks!
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Hello noraebong,

Unfortunately, anything you add to the roof will hurt your FE, and any extra weight you lug around each day (such as a storage platform) will suck down 1 MPG per 100 pounds.

It's too bad that you have the sedan as skis and snowboards fit in the LB perfectly.

The best thing to do is what I've done: a hitch with a bicycle rack and snow sports adapter. When I put those things on I can carry 3-4 passengers and have everyone's skis and snowboards sticking up in the back like an antenna farm. When I don't need them I take off the adapter and bicycle rack and store them.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Great. Thanks for the reply...info helpful. Just wondering what brand of towbar you used, and how much you paid for it and to have it installed. I have been looking around: my dealer quoted a price of 599.00 (CAN) for the towbar accessory. Not sure if that included labour or not, but even if it did that seems a bit steep from the bit of research I have done into purchasing after-market tow bars.

Maye I should have gone with the LB after all!!

Thanks again.
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

You're welcome, noraebong. I use a Hidden Hitch which I paid USD $110 for and installed myself in about 10 minutes, and the Yakima Double Down 2-bicycle rack which costs around $180.

The snow sports adapter I use with it is the Thule 987XT model. I got it used via CraigsList on an excellent deal and have adapted it to fit on my Yakima rack.

Share the Road

Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
[QUOTE=BailOut;451054]Hello noraebong,
It's too bad that you have the sedan as skis and snowboards fit in the LB perfectly.
[QUOTE]

Newsflash to Bailout: the sedans split rear seats fold down to create even more floor space than the LB could ever imagine. In fact, my daughters small skis easily load crossways in the cavournous trunk without having to sacrifice seating. Adult skis and snowboards would require one rear seat back be dropped.
That said, I like your choice of Hidden Hitch and cargo accesories. I'd considered that route should I ever plan a long trip with the whole family aboard. My only concern would be how much the tail sank with that payload hanging out back. My sedan is low already (TRD suspension).

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Ahh, I didn't know that, MUSKOKA800. How difficult is it to put down one side of the rear seat in the sedan? Are there any rear dash speakers or wires to catch equipment on?

Share the Road

Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If you have a package with the 60/40 rear seats, you just unlatch the seat on one or both sides and fold it down. The space available is then longer than in the liftback, though less height is available in the trunk area.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Hello noraebong,

Unfortunately, anything you add to the roof will hurt your FE, and any extra weight you lug around each day (such as a storage platform) will suck down 1 MPG per 100 pounds.

The best thing to do is what I've done: a hitch with a bicycle rack and snow sports adapter. When I put those things on I can carry 3-4 passengers and have everyone's skis and snowboards sticking up in the back like an antenna farm. When I don't need them I take off the adapter and bicycle rack and store them.
Bailout, you're an amazing resource.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote