Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
hirme

Drives: Yaris HB '07
Voltage regulator TSA

Hi guys,

Last week, my battery light started flickering for a couple of minutes and stayed off until yesterday. I searched a lot and found some info about the voltage regulator TSA. My '07 is out of warranty and don't really want to drop a few 100$ for this stupid fix unless it may cause serious damage.

So my question is, assuming the problem is really the voltage regulator corrosion thingy (I rided more than 100km with it without any problems, dimming lights, etc) , do I need to go to Toyota to fix it? Can it damage something if I keep on riding with it?

hirme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There have been a few threads lately about this issue, enough so to make me decide to pull Crashy's alternator apart. She had 26K miles before her demise and sat outside with her engine compartment exposed to the elements (of Upstate New York) for over a year before I bought her. So, every untreated metal surface on her is either rusty or oxidized.

Here's her alternator prior to removal:

Removed:

Regulator cover removed:

Regulator and Rectifier removed (The mounting screws were so rusted that I had a bear of a time removing most of them):

Regulator top and bottom:

Rectifier top and bottom:

So, the bottom line is that although Crashy's alternator was still functioning properly, there is significant rusting of fasteners and some terminals. I'd like to see a failing one to see the difference, but looking at the regulator and brush terminals, which are the most corroded parts, I would think that they are the failure mode. The regulator circuit board is fully potted, so it should be safe, provided that the terminals don't corrode enough at their entry points to allow moisture to enter.

Before I reassemble it, I am going to clean and protect all contacts with DeoxIT contact cleaner/protector and replace all of the rusted hardware with stainless steel.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...5S-6N-/200-230

If I had a failing one, I would disassemble it and try the same. If that didn't resolve the issue I would either pick up a replacement regulator (27700-21050) from Toyota (for about $175) for 06-09, or pick up an aftermarket NipponDenso one (126600-0540) for ~$50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/alter...Q5fAccessories
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
hirme

Thx for the info CTScott.

I'll def. check this out next week-end. I'll post pics if I dissassemble it.

175$ for this, jeez! I'll def. pick up an aftermarket if I need to buy one.

I also noticed the airbag light flickering a few time this morning. What's wrong with my yaris these days :'(
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirme View Post
Thx for the info CTScott.

I'll def. check this out next week-end. I'll post pics if I dissassemble it.

175$ for this, jeez! I'll def. pick up an aftermarket if I need to buy one.

I also noticed the airbag light flickering a few time this morning. What's wrong with my yaris these days :'(
Actually, I think you are answering your original question. The airbag light flickering may be related, and may be a sign of what is coming if you don't get the voltage regulator running correctly.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
hirme

UPDATE:

I went to the dealer for a checkup. It's def. the voltage regulator. Cost is over 400CDN for installation.

F'em!

I called Toyota back from the dealer. My case was "under investigation" 'til today. They called back and offered a three-way split: 160$ from Toyota Canada, 160$ from my Toyota dealer and 160$ from my own damn pocket. Funny how the part's price is around, what? 155$?

Oh well. Better than paying over 400 I guess. (but still pissed.)
Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Trevorwel
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2007

The post below saved me about $270.

I purchased a new voltage regulator on e-bay (followed the link below), it cost me $50 plus $40 to get it installed and hay-presto all is good in Yaris land again.

The dealer had quoted $340 plus tax

Thanks CTScott!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There have been a few threads lately about this issue, enough so to make me decide to pull Crashy's alternator apart. She had 26K miles before her demise and sat outside with her engine compartment exposed to the elements (of Upstate New York) for over a year before I bought her. So, every untreated metal surface on her is either rusty or oxidized.

Here's her alternator prior to removal:

Removed:

Regulator cover removed:

Regulator and Rectifier removed (The mounting screws were so rusted that I had a bear of a time removing most of them):

Regulator top and bottom:

Rectifier top and bottom:

So, the bottom line is that although Crashy's alternator was still functioning properly, there is significant rusting of fasteners and some terminals. I'd like to see a failing one to see the difference, but looking at the regulator and brush terminals, which are the most corroded parts, I would think that they are the failure mode. The regulator circuit board is fully potted, so it should be safe, provided that the terminals don't corrode enough at their entry points to allow moisture to enter.

Before I reassemble it, I am going to clean and protect all contacts with DeoxIT contact cleaner/protector and replace all of the rusted hardware with stainless steel.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...5S-6N-/200-230

If I had a failing one, I would disassemble it and try the same. If that didn't resolve the issue I would either pick up a replacement regulator (27700-21050) from Toyota (for about $175) for 06-09, or pick up an aftermarket NipponDenso one (126600-0540) for ~$50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/alter...Q5fAccessories
Trevorwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
antone

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I can't seem to find the Denso aftermarket regulator. Does anyone have any leads or another reputable brand?
antone is offline   Reply With Quote