Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
A few questions about 2017 Yaris L (5MT).

Hello. I have a 2012 Yaris L (5MT) that I enjoy. Probably the best car I've had and the most enjoyable car I've ever owned (from a driving standpoint).

Now that we're getting to the end of the year, I started to dig into what a new 2017 L 5MT would cost. One dealer is willing to sell a new one to me for $14,099 (plus TTL and $100 dealer doc fee). This seems like a pretty good deal. Some questions:

1. This vehicle has the automatic high-beam/low-beam system. Anyone have this on their car? Do you like it? Can you still manually change between high and low beam, or does the computer do it for you all the time?

2. Can cruise be put in the 2017 Yaris L?

3. What do you think of the price?

Thank you.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
matti

Oh, I forgot another question. As I recall, the Yaris is still all Toyota parts (made in France), correct? And the Yaris iA is really a Mazda?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Cruise control can be added easily. You need a cruise switch and a clutch switch. Wiring is all there (did this on my 2016 Yaris L 5 speed).

Can't comment on the auto high beam stuff but you can switch it off and use the lights manually as before.

I found out that the invoice price of my 2016 was more than they're charging you for that 2017. With that, I say it's pretty darn decent.

Yaris Hatch is made in France by Toyota. The iA is a Mazduh.

What are you going to do with the 2012? If you're getting rid of it, let me know lol.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
matti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
Cruise control can be added easily. You need a cruise switch and a clutch switch. Wiring is all there (did this on my 2016 Yaris L 5 speed).

Can't comment on the auto high beam stuff but you can switch it off and use the lights manually as before.

I found out that the invoice price of my 2016 was more than they're charging you for that 2017. With that, I say it's pretty darn decent.

What are you going to do with the 2012? If you're getting rid of it, let me know lol.
Thanks for the great feedback.

I did get one dealer down to $14,075, but they won't go lower.

I was going to trade in my current car, but am thinking of selling private. Selling private makes me nervous, though. Make me an offer!lol
Old 11-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
matti

Update: found a nearby dealer that will go to $13,585 plus TTL. I think this is a very good deal. I think they just want to get the Yaris off the lot.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

That is a good deal! I bought my 2016 in February of 2017 and got the car for $12,300 and they also paid more than anyone else for my pos koreamobile.

Let me know what the trade in value is and I'll see if it's something I can afford hahaha. I'm currently broke guy but if the deal is good enough...
Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
matti

Quote:
That is a good deal! I bought my 2016 in February of 2017 and got the car for $12,300 and they also paid more than anyone else for my pos koreamobile.

Let me know what the trade in value is and I'll see if it's something I can afford hahaha. I'm currently broke guy but if the deal is good enough...
I will keep you up to date! My plan is to go to Carmax to see what they'll offer. I'll then take that offer to see if the dealership will match or beat.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
matti

Quote:

Thanks again. I brought the new 2017 home today. Could you tell me exactly what parts you got for the cruise control add-on (part numbers, where you ordered them, etc.) as well as specific instruction for how to install the cruise?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Well, I grabbed a cruise control switch for the steering wheel from a wrecked Prius. Got the side cover for the steering wheel from a wrecked Yaris. Clutch switch was done for free by the dealer I bought it from so I don't have a part number for that. It replaces the clutch stop bolt that controls how high the pedal goes, your local dealer should be able to get it.

There should be a post on here by ctscott about adding cruise control that might help you as well.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Congrats on the new 2017. Post some pics, when you have a minute.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
matti

Thanks. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Another question: I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure this car has sat at the dealer's lot for a long time (>9 months). Probably a good idea to change the oil at 1k miles or so, considering the oil sat in the car for so long?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
MeepMeep

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE
AHB Feature

I love my super rare 2017 SE (5MT). I like the auto high beam but I live in a fairly rural area and use the high beams to spot roadside deer. My car actually started a recall as the AHB was not working when I bought the car. It turned out that Toyota was using the incorrect wiring harness. It works great now! Not sure if the recall applies to the "L" but you may want to verify. Enjoy your new Yaris.
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
matti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
I love my super rare 2017 SE (5MT). I like the auto high beam but I live in a fairly rural area and use the high beams to spot roadside deer. My car actually started a recall as the AHB was not working when I bought the car. It turned out that Toyota was using the incorrect wiring harness. It works great now! Not sure if the recall applies to the "L" but you may want to verify. Enjoy your new Yaris.
Thanks. I did have the wiring harness replaced about two weeks ago.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Mind of Toyota wrong wiring harness

Is this the same wrong-wiring-harness issue, reported here on another thread, that had a pair of monolingual Japanese Toyota employees traveling various places world-wide to examine individual vehicles to find out why some manual transmission Toyotas w/ Safety Sense worked, and some didn't?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Is this the same wrong-wiring-harness issue, reported here on another thread, that had a pair of monolingual Japanese Toyota employees traveling various places world-wide to examine individual vehicles to find out why some manual transmission Toyotas w/ Safety Sense worked, and some didn't?
Yep. Talk about a major lapse in quality control. Makes you wonder.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
matti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Yep. Talk about a major lapse in quality control. Makes you wonder.
Wow, I didn't know about that! That's crazy. My Safety Sense seemed to work fine, but my car was part of the recall. I was told that only a few hundred manual transmissions in the U.S. were part of the recall.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
MeepMeep

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE
My local dealership said only 40-50 cars in US were part of recall. I imagine almost all were "L" and not "SE" optioned cars. But yes, it was my car in the earlier thread discussing the Japanese guys camping out in our local dealership. They worked until 2am in the morning several nights. Too funny.
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
Feras
I've made a post!

Drives: 2017 yaris l
Quote:

can you please tell me how to install the cruise control
I have 2017 Yaris l
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote