Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
So I may have made a stupid mistake

Hi, I'm new (you can probably tell), I bought my Yaris 2nd hand the other day, and this is my first car. Today I went and got some coolant as the reservoir was running low.. I coulln't quite make out where the coolant was in the res so I kept filling. Problem is is that the coolant level in the res is now maybe 3-4 inches higher than the "full" line, but maybe 2-3 inches below the fillport.

Is there anything I should do to fix this or is this going to be okay the way it is? Thanks a bunch!
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Just go on a highway trip, it'll boil off the excess once it gets up to temperature. Park the car, open the hood after a couple hours, use a garden hose to lightly rinse out the engine bay of any splashed coolant (just rinse it off like you were dusting the engine off, no nozzle, no spray, just dribble like rain) and yer' done.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Will it escape on it's own or should i leave the cap open? Thanks a lot for the response, it is very much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Nah, close the cap. Just go drive, the resevoir will fill, then drain through the overflow tube down onto the road below. Some will splash around the wheel well on that side, thus why I recommended 'rinsing' the engine bay off around the coolant resevoir *AFTER* the engine bay cools down.

If you spray cold water on hot plastic/engine, you can do bad things!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Awesome, thank you very much!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I doubt it'll even overflow. It'll be OK.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Well, since this is your first car, you really need the owners manual. It may be in the glove box still, if not consider purchasing one, either from a dealer or online, possibly amazon.com . This has all sorts of tips and info, such as the coolant fill line, tire pressures, windshield spray, etc.

You at least bought a very durable car, and I'm sure got it for a great deal by purchasing 2nd hand. Over the next few months you'll continue to learn stuff about the car. This is usual with any vehicle, so you should be O.K. Just keep the oil changed and fix any leaks and it won't let you down.

Ask question BEFORE you attempt to perform something you don't know, or haven't done. That's how you learn, and then you can be more confident when you actual commit to it. The manual is a good place to look first, as it points to something and you can look at it, and the car while trying.

Good luck.
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by anexrx7 View Post
Well, since this is your first car, you really need the owners manual. It may be in the glove box still, if not consider purchasing one, either from a dealer or online, possibly amazon.com . This has all sorts of tips and info, such as the coolant fill line, tire pressures, windshield spray, etc.

You at least bought a very durable car, and I'm sure got it for a great deal by purchasing 2nd hand. Over the next few months you'll continue to learn stuff about the car. This is usual with any vehicle, so you should be O.K. Just keep the oil changed and fix any leaks and it won't let you down.

Ask question BEFORE you attempt to perform something you don't know, or haven't done. That's how you learn, and then you can be more confident when you actual commit to it. The manual is a good place to look first, as it points to something and you can look at it, and the car while trying.

Good luck.
Funny thign about the manual, is that it's in French. It was originally bought in Quebec, so, yeah. I'll have to drop by the Toyota Dealership at soem point I suppose.