Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
Doix

Drives: '07 Yaris P9 Linea Sol 1.0
Question To start or not to start?

Forum members,

Most of the time I only read topics trying to search information to keep my Toyota in good condition but yesterday my Toyota did not start but in a way I can not find any information about. So I hope you people can help me? My English is not that good but I will try to describe as clearly as possible.

Yesterday after a 30 miles trip in my 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.0 VVT-i Sol manual transmission (44.000 miles and no problems so far) I visited a petrolstation to get some fuel. The given range was 35 miles yet for this tank. During refilling I let the key (conventional type) in the ignition lock but of course with everything off. After refilling I turned the key to start the car, clutch down, the normal warning lights on the dash wenton and I turned the key further ...
nothing, no click, no sound, no buzzing, nothing. I turned the key off and tried again with the same result. I took the key out of the ignition lock, pushed some buttons, locking and unlocking the doors and tried again but the car stayed dead silent. After trying this again but now with manual transmission free (it was placed in first gear I discovered) the car still gave
no sign of life.
Because I was with my wife and child (3 years old) I decided to call the AAA (road service kind like that). The needed information to call them was in my coat in the boot (trunk?). After I took my coat opening and closing the trunk and trying to call, my wife did one further attempt to start the car and it started like there was nothing wrong (!). I was totally flabbergasted, the whole story did last for less than 3 minutes and why my car did not want to start and stayed completely 'dead' is completely unclear to me. We drove home without any problems and this morning it started as if nothing happened before.

Does someone know or experienced the same? The battery is only 4 months old, all warning lights on the dash did burn properly, no engine check light did burn after starting and I think there are no issues with fuses due to the fact that the car did start properly after a few minutes. I am not that familiar with Toyota in specific, but does this car have a immobiliser or some sort of safety measures to avoid starting when for what reason? I read something in the manual that it is possible that when restarting the car you have to wait for 30 secondes?

I am a bit lost so hoping for advice.

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Doix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If the battery is fine, it could be the START relay (which is one of the relays built into the integration relay assembly that plugs into the under-hood fuse panel).

It could also possibly be an issue with the ECM not properly reading the transponder within the key. On our USDM Yaris when you turn the key and the transponder is not read the starter will still crank, but the car will not start. I am not sure of the French made ones do that as well or if there is no cranking at all with a misread key.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Doix

CTScott,

Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, my Yaris is Japanese, concluded from the productionnumber somewhere at the door starting with JTD?
You mentioned the transponder but said that the starter will crank .... the problem yesterday was that nothing was going on under the bonnet, no starter, no buzzing, nothing, the car stayed dead silent and after a 3 minutes it started immidiately.
I will check this mentioned START relay this evening and hopefully this should explain it.

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Think it could be the switch that tell the car that the clutch is/isn't pushed in?

If that switch is bad, the car won't know the clutch pedal is down and therefore, won't start (or even attempt to).
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
Think it could be the switch that tell the car that the clutch is/isn't pushed in?

If that switch is bad, the car won't know the clutch pedal is down and therefore, won't start (or even attempt to).
Yes. Could definitely be that as well. That's an easy one to bypass to test (pull the connector off the switch and insert a jumper between the two pins).
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Doix

All,

Thanks for the replies. What exactly is meant by 'pull the connector off the switch and insert a jumper between the two pins'? I am from the Netherlands, so I try to understand which connector, which switch, what is a jumper? and which two pins?

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doix View Post
All,

Thanks for the replies. What exactly is meant by 'pull the connector off the switch and insert a jumper between the two pins'? I am from the Netherlands, so I try to understand which connector, which switch, what is a jumper? and which two pins?

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
If you look a the top of the clutch pedal you will see a connector which plugs into a switch. The switch gets pressed when the clutch pedal is all the way pressed. If you disconnect the connector from the switch you can take a small piece of wire and insert it into the two holes where the pins from the switch would go into. That will bypass the clutch switch.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Doix

I think you guys are right, this switch could have caused this issue yesterday. I will try tomorrow to repeat the situation and then try to influence on that switch.

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
New battery??? Make sure the terminal clamps are tight. Loose battery connections can cause problems.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:51 AM   #10
Doix

Andulong,

Thanks for the tip, checked the battery, both connections were tightly attached (or how do I say that in English) ...

Kind regards,

Aad ~ Doix
Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
Something similar happened in my Nissan.
* Had a poor contact in the starter.
Cold start was normal, after warming up the engine evaporated moisture from the cable and contact was lost ..
Look at the wires are connected to the starter.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:30 PM   #12
wjbeaty
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 hatchback
This is a well-known classic starter-motor failure. An old starter motor will fill with carbon debris, and the worn brushes extend their springs, reducing the pressure. Either it shorts out from carbon-caking, or the brushes won't push hard enough to make good electrical contact with the rotor.

But if you lightly tap the motor, then it magically starts working! Slamming the hood, slamming the door or trunk, that can "repair" it too.

(But if tapping the little motor does not temporarily fix this, then suspect other things. Since your trunk-slam fixed the problem, probably it's your aging starter-motor finally biting the dust.)

Once you've seen this happen, it will happen again. If you can find the location of the starter motor (between engine and radiator,) you can give it a tap with a metal object. A tire-iron from your jack/spare storage works OK.

When this happened to me, at first, the slightest tap would "fix" the starter. But then over the next week, I was having to tap it more and more times. Then hit it harder and harder. Then finally, when it usually wouldn't work at all, I park on hills, or the loading-ramp at work, so I could start it by popping the clutch while rolling (w/manual transmissions only.) All this in a 2007 vehicle, starter motor 16yrs old.

Yaris starters are like yaris headlights. They can be replaced at home, but it's a medium-large deal. You just need a metric socket set. Find tutorials for the full instructions. Very briefly: from inside the hood, un-bolt the electrical connections on the top of the starter. Then put on the parking brake, add wheel-chocks, jack up the passenger front, put it on a jack-stand and , then crawl underneath, so you can take out the two mounting bolts on the starter, one visible and one behind. (First dress properly for filthy work!)

Perhaps the starter can be removed from above, without jacking up the car? I'd first do it from below, so you can see where everything actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doix View Post
turned the key further ...
nothing, no click, no sound, no buzzing, nothing. I turned the key off and tried again with the same result. I took the key out of the ignition lock, pushed some buttons, locking and unlocking the doors and tried again but the car stayed dead silent. After trying this again but now with manual transmission free (it was placed in first gear I discovered) the car still gave
no sign of life.

Last edited by wjbeaty; 12-10-2023 at 08:37 PM. Reason: mention chocks and parking brake
wjbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote