Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
WingIt

Drives: 2005 NCP91 Vitz
Stalling/charging issue

Hi all,

So story goes that I just got a 2005 Toyta VItz (Japan model) with 1NZ engine and CVT transmission.

I have driven it all of 1km (take it for inspection and back before it can be road legal) but it has developed a problem where the engine revs very low then stalls.
So I whipped out the multimeter and with the engine running it only has 11.8V across the battery (12.6V with engine off). This lead me to assume that either the alternator is toast or a fuse is blown. So I pulled off the fuse box lid and have worked out that there seem to be two fuses missing, I think.

So can anyone tell me if the following two fuses are needed:
-7.5a "Alt-S" (this seems to be a likely culprit)
-40a "Main2" (this also seems like it should be required?)

I found this pic:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0601.jpg
The fuses I am talking about are the right hand brown 7.5a fuse on the bottom row and the missing large fuse on the same row 3 fuses to the right

Edit it is also missing the 10A fuse bottom right next to the two big plugs, "EFI2" I think it is
WingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #2
WingIt

Ok here is a pic of my fuse box, from google it seems most dont have the large 40a "MAIN2" fuse but do have my missing 7.5a and 10a fuse?
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3775b71f.jpg

Sorry I cant refer to my owner manual or anything as they are in Japanese and you can only gather so much info from the pictures, so if someone could please check their fuse box for these fuses then that would be great!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Your alternator giving only 11.8v is likely the culprit.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have the paper wiring diagrams for the Vitz.

The ALT-S fuse should be there and is the feedback to the voltage regulator in the alternator. If that is not present the alternator will not output.

The 40A MAIN2 or 30A MAIN2 are only used in certain configurations of the Vitz. It looks like the 40A one is used to feed and auxiliary heater and the 30A is used with some headlight configuration (probably the HIDs).

The EFI-2 fuse does not appear to be used (nor have I seen it used in US or European Yaris).
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
WingIt

Thanks so much! I have no idea why it has been removed but I will buy a new fuse afterwork and give it a go.

I had a thought last night in bed that the 40A main might be for driving lights or HID and it must be the ALT-S one causing me issues as if a EFI fuse wasnt there then surely a fuel related thing wouldnt work.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
WingIt

Well I replaced the fuse, was charging intermittantly.
Also replaced the battery as that was pretty stuffed but still having a problem with the car idling to low meaning it doesnt seem to be charging until you get the revs up. Then it sometimes stalls etc

So I will research if I can get it to idle higher (currently 450rpm) and then look into the alternator as I suspect there is also something amiss there.

Luckily I got it back down for the rest of its inspection so its now registered and road legal so thats part of the stress gone, just need to get it running as good as it should
Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Try cleaning the throttle body to see if that helps with the idle issue.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
WingIt

Yes that was going to be my first port of call, left it in the shed to think about what it had done last night will give it some more attention today.

My other thought was that for shipping they drain most of the fuel and perhaps being run with a near empty tank has meant it has sucked up some crud and blocked the fuel filter so will check that out too.

Will also check sparkplugs and replace if required
Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
WingIt

To update this for anyone who in the future faces a similar issue all is well now.

Cleaned the throttle body and MAF started it up and let it idle for a while, due to having replaced the battery the ECU must have needed to "re-learn" its idle and other things so it struggled along for a little while at 450rpm before eventually settling at just over 500rpm.

I took it for a short drive and all was well, so filled it up with fresh fuel and took it for a longer drive where it performed faultlessly
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingIt View Post
To update this for anyone who in the future faces a similar issue all is well now.

Cleaned the throttle body and MAF started it up and let it idle for a while, due to having replaced the battery the ECU must have needed to "re-learn" its idle and other things so it struggled along for a little while at 450rpm before eventually settling at just over 500rpm.

I took it for a short drive and all was well, so filled it up with fresh fuel and took it for a longer drive where it performed faultlessly
Nice!