Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #37
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
They say, with stiff enough spring rates, technically kinda sorta don't need any sort of sway bar.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #38
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
That's true, Ddongbap, I experimented with "no bars" on my Miata. It can be done, and I liked it except for the spring rates being on the verge of "harsh". But, as was mentioned very early in this thread, it's a love it or hate it thing. Some people prefer a softer-sprung setup with stiff swaybars. And there are merits to that setup for street driving.

"why?", (dumbest forum handle ever, btw), yes the harshness in my setup is very noticeable. Big bumps are awful, and bumps in turns (when the outside rear wheel is in the air) make all kinds of racket due to the spring having no tension on it at all. All could be addressed with some fine-tuning, maybe progressive springs, maybe some rubber spring perch seats, etc. But, as it is, my setup is a little annoying on the street. The handling is outstanding, though!

Best thing you can do is read more, get a better understanding of how things work, and experiment carefully.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #39
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post

"why?", (dumbest forum handle ever, btw
It does get the point across though. And when I ask the question, which is often, people understand.

So something tells me the reason that even most aftermarket kits have stiffer front springs then rear is the same reason auto manufacturers build in all that yucky understeer.

I do have lots to learn, and lots of setups to study.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #40
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Before I tell you how well it worked... raise your hand if you think autocrossing without a front swaybar sounds goofy.
it sounds goofy, unless you've upgraded your front spring rates beyond the stock Ksport availability.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Without even reading the rest of the thread, I know it works, if you're the right person. A fellow called Richard Shine has a tuning shop up in New England, and he has been removing the front bars from VWs for years. Some love it, some hate it, but either way it works. More power available to the driven wheel.
Shine is responsible for a lot of flipped MKIV's..

selling super-soft spring rates and telling kids to remove their front bar (and run R comps) = quite a few nasty accidents.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
So something tells me the reason that even most aftermarket kits have stiffer front springs then rear is the same reason auto manufacturers build in all that yucky understeer.
That (built-in understeer for safety) is part of it, but ride quality is also a major factor. And, on the Yaris in particular, it's difficult to design a stiff rear spring setup that fits the stock spring perches, is as low as most people want it, works properly, and stays put without making clunky noises. I think that's the biggest reason you'll see most Yaris kits use a softer rear spring.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #43
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I've heard of stock height cars with Rcomps flip on turns.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #44
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I've heard of stock height cars with Rcomps flip on turns.
It's been known to happen.

All it takes is a softly sprung top-heavy car and an overly aggressive driver. Slam the car into a turn (or get goofy in a slalom) and the car will almost instantly rock over onto the bump stop. With street tires, hitting the bump stop that hard is usually enough of a jolt to make the tire slide. With race tires, it won't be. Yank the car hard enough and the outside tires will stick, allowing the momentum of the weight of the car to toss the car onto its roof.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #45
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Nice video Loren,
It akes me back to the bleachers at Mosport in the 80's when the showroom stock Honda series ran before many big league series (F1, Cart, etc). The fast guys would have the inside rear tire 12-18" in the air rounding the high-speed corners. Quite amusing to those of us not familiar with FWD racing.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote