Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
2008 Hatchback Rear toe in/out question...

Aloha everyone! I have a 2008 hatchback which I’ve lowered with Tein’s lowering springs. Lowering obviously caused the wheels to camber, more significant in the rear than the front. I see that the rear tires have some significant wear on the inside, and it’s been almost 3000 miles since I lowered her. I was thinking though that the rear are only slave tires, doesn’t do much work compare to the front ones, and shouldn’t wear as much. So I was wondering if lowering also caused the rear to toe in or out which is contributing to the wear. What do you guys think?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I wouldn't think lowering springs would affect toe or camber too much on our cars. There is no adjustment for camber or toe other than shims behind the wheel bearing. I was under the assumption the rear tires should sit pretty close to 0 camber and 0 toe.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Neinris

Thanks for the reply. I’m just trying to get another opinion. I thought maybe the rear toe changed since the car sits lower now, and the rear axle frame mounts inward to prevent side to side movement. I’m gonna put washes as shims for the top two bolts of the bearing mounts, just have to make sure they’re the exact same thickness, or it’d really mess up the toe alignment.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
yeah, you have 4 bolts accessible from the outside, behind backing plate if the same as mine. I have a small shim from Napa in two of my four bolts on one side or the other, forget which side by now. Last time I needed to adjust my alignment was 2013, still in spec, gonna check it again this year, changed tire size. 195/55/16. The shims are available as a box of shims from Napa, I went thin, so I can add multiple if needed, but only had two. Easy to change., I would suggest thread locker on the bolts, and torque to spec or a tick past it. Shims placement will change measures appropriately.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
yeah, you have 4 bolts accessible from the outside, behind backing plate if the same as mine. I have a small shim from Napa in two of my four bolts on one side or the other, forget which side by now. Last time I needed to adjust my alignment was 2013, still in spec, gonna check it again this year, changed tire size. 195/55/16. The shims are available as a box of shims from Napa, I went thin, so I can add multiple if needed, but only had two. Easy to change., I would suggest thread locker on the bolts, and torque to spec or a tick past it. Shims placement will change measures appropriately.
Thanks for the info! Any pics? Shims placement can also affect toe, so I'd have to be careful.
I'm currently sporting 15" wheels wrapped with 185/60s, speedo currently indicates slower than actual speed (actually going 2+ mph than indicated). I believe my speedo/transmission is matched with the base model with 175/65 R14s. I want to switch to 16X8 +25 (yes it will poke a little bit), but I want to fix the tire wear issue first. I think 195/55 R16s are too big, so I'll go with 195/50s, which will at least match the current speed I'm putting out. Verified through link below:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
When I finally swap the engine and tranny with an xD, the speedo will indicate correctly.

BTW, I met Jim Kelly when I was still in High School, I used to play football, for a field trip once, we went to his local tv show.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
Neinris

Rear Toe

I still think my rear wheels have toe issue now that my car is lowered. I stumbled upon a very old thread, I wonder if doing this would fix it a little?

https://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23911

tmontague mentioned something about toe in his post below:

https://yarisworld.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=255