Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Front Exhaust Gasket Replacement

I figured I should post something brief about this to save some of you a larger headache.

The front exhaust gasket located just down from the manifold and held together by 2 spring bolts is something I'd recommend replacing every 120,000km, especially if you live in the salt belt.

I just replaced mine of my Yaris at 137,000km and the gasket was pretty much toast. The bolts were in terrible shape but luckily came off without too many problems with a breaker bar.

I Changed the gasket on my Echo as well and this is where the headache started. The gasket was in terrible shape and only one bolt finally came loose after letting some PB Blaster soak on it for about 20mins. The other bolt stripped but luckily came out with a bolt off socket.

If you install the new bolts with anti seize on the threads and coat the bolt in an anti rust than you will save yourself a big headache down the road. The bolts are already a huge PITA the access due to how far in you have to reach (thanks to the sub frame) and it becomes that much harder when they aren't cooperating.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
salvad0r

Drives: Yaris Core Sedan
What problems were you having before replacing that gasket?

EDIT: I'm curious because I just got a Yaris and it has 120,800 km.
salvad0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
tmontague

I wasn't having any problems per sey, my engine was a little louder and the engine would shudder a little at a stop light and then the rpm would slightly go up and the shudder would stop and then repeat..

The engine is now back to normal sound (still noisy injectors as usual) and the rough idle has seems less intense as before.

My fiancees Echo was noisy and the fuel consumption climbed (could be due to other factors though). Her engine is now quieter but too soon to test fuel efficiency.

The main reason to do this every 120-130,000km is because the gasket tends to go around that time, but mainly because if you live in the salt belt your bolts will make the job 10x more complicated past those km's. I'd recommend using anti seize on the threads and coating the outside of the bolt in an antirust spray. Both gaskets I replaced were in rough shape.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Any pics of the gasket?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
tmontague

I'll try and post them up, I always seem to have issues posting images on here. Any efficient ways to do it?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I think you have to set your camera on the smalestl megapixel setting or downsize them or they wont post. You need a pic size of like 45k. NOT 4 megapixels.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
salvad0r

Drives: Yaris Core Sedan
Thank you for the advices. Im going to start thinking on changing it soon then.
salvad0r is offline   Reply With Quote