Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Emergency brake light is on constantly

Hey guys I ran a search but didnt find anything similar to my situation.

The other day I was removing my PG rear hub spacers and accidentally pulled the wires out of ebrake sensor on the axle. Now the emergency brake light stays on whether or not my ebrake is up or down

does anyone know if i can just reset the ecu to solve this? I reconnected the wires very well so i cant imagine that it wouldnt be as simple as that.

to clarify, its the light that says BRAKE, not the tire pressure light (!).

my abs light is also on, probably due to trd suspension. Any solutions for that?

thanks in advance!
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Sounds like you damaged a abs sensor which in turn turned on the abs and brake light. Only other thing really that would trigger the brake light on is low brake fluid but i see yours is a 09 so thats probally not the case. With the abs light on that means your abs will not work in a panic stop situation. It will just function like normal brakes without abs and lockup into a skid situation.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
+1^

The ebrake has a switch under the console. The sensor you ripped the wires out of is one of the speed sensors for the ABS. Your ABS will be disabled until you replace it.

The part number is: 89544-52040 and they're over $100.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
+1^

The ebrake has a switch under the console. The sensor you ripped the wires out of is one of the speed sensors for the ABS. Your ABS will be disabled until you replace it.

The part number is: 89544-52040 and they're over $100.
well the abs light came on before the ebrake light issue arose.

i believe that is caused by the suspension, the owners manual actually mentions that lowering the suspension may cause the abs light to come on

as for the ebrake sensor, is there any reason why i would really have to get a new one? it seems like i could just reset the ecu
Old 10-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

You can read the trouble code with just a jumper wire on the OBD connector. Check out page 26 of the brake control section of the service manual (posted on a sticky in the DIY section). That will at least tell you why it's not happy. You can clear it with the jumper as well.

As for replacing the sensor; I thought you that you actually yanked the wire our of the sensor, as opposed to yanking the connector.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can read the trouble code with just a jumper wire on the OBD connector. Check out page 26 of the brake control section of the service manual (posted on a sticky in the DIY section). That will at least tell you why it's not happy. You can clear it with the jumper as well.

As for replacing the sensor; I thought you that you actually yanked the wire our of the sensor, as opposed to yanking the connector.
as i was disconnecting the connector that attaches to the rear drum, the wires got pulled. i proceeded to strip of some wire, and twist the copper to reinsert it. im pretty sure i did a great job at reattaching so i hope i dont need to replace it

im looking at the manual and it seems that i disconnected the wire on the skid control sensor
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

it seems that the brake light issue will not be fixed until the abs light is addressed. im going to look further into seeing if i can troubleshoot this myself, if not ill just read up on it and possibly run over to the dealer

edit, just got to page 26. going to perform dtc check
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

k just did the check with the sst wire (paperclip)

abs was throwing a 32 and 33 referring to the front left and rear right wheels

i cleared the system by depressing the pedal. the ebrake light has cleared and is now functional again. the abs light now only throws a 32. the front left wheel was the hardest one to do when i did the suspension install so i may have tweaked something. i will have the dealer inspect that.

but it cleared the light! thanks ctscott!

while the topic is open i was wondering, my airbag light is still on on the gauge cluster even though i have the seat ecu and your airbag switch installed. do i need to get the yellow connector off the seat to get that to turn off? what do you recommend?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeJong 03 View Post
k just did the check with the sst wire (paperclip)

abs was throwing a 32 and 33 referring to the front left and rear right wheels

i cleared the system by depressing the pedal. the ebrake light has cleared and is now functional again. the abs light now only throws a 32. the front left wheel was the hardest one to do when i did the suspension install so i may have tweaked something. i will have the dealer inspect that.

but it cleared the light! thanks ctscott!

while the topic is open i was wondering, my airbag light is still on on the gauge cluster even though i have the seat ecu and your airbag switch installed. do i need to get the yellow connector off the seat to get that to turn off? what do you recommend?
Since your sedan's an 09, you had the side airbags in the seats correct?

If so, you need to plug a 3 ohm resistor into the yellow connector that used to connect to the seat airbag cable.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

ill have to double check. im pretty sure i have side curtain airbags as opposed to in the seats.

although that yellow connector in the seat would make sense, airbag harnesses tend to be yellow.

ill look into it