Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Question Does Alignment need to be checked due to car accident

and having 50,000 plus miles? There's some uneven wear on the outer edges of the tires. Especially the front passenger side . Thanks

Last edited by Hershey; 09-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Absolutely I'd get it checked. Even if nothing is wrong with it, a good reputable shop will do the alignment check for free.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Absolutely I'd get it checked. Even if nothing is wrong with it, a good reputable shop will do the alignment check for free.
I don't know where you live .. but in my experience very very very few shops do anything for free. Cannot keep the doors open giving things away for free.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Hershey

No freebies here . It'll cost about $80 ( pre tax ) for checking and possible correction . Others charge $99 .
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Wow really? There's a ton of places here that do free alignment checks
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Alignment checks are often free, but it's very rare that toe (or more) is in spec so it's always needed. In other words, once it's checked most people do it. Maybe 1/100 cars that I check do not need it.

And yes, get an alignment done. $100 well spent after a crash or curb bump. Tires are expensive.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
On my Subaru the only thing that could be adjusted was the toe in.

Can all three adjustments (toe in camber and caster) be adjusted on the Yaris?

"Alignment" is possibly a scam. You might be paying for nothing.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Sears I know does a check for free. They won't give you the print outs usually, but will tell you if you are out of spec. Otherwise make the right friends

That being said to answer OP, definitely.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Tires are expensive.
As well as other wearable steering/suspension components.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Sears I know does a check for free. They won't give you the print outs usually, but will tell you if you are out of spec. Otherwise make the right friends

That being said to answer OP, definitely.
Sears is just about the worst place to bring your car IME. They said the shocks were bad on my wifes Camry when it was 6 months old and had like 4000 miles on it. The mechanic squirted oil on the shocks (struts) and said they were leaking!

I mean, I can understand cheating someone but trying it on a new car? That gives you an idea of their mindset!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

^ I NEVER bring my car anywhere that it is not in my full visibility, but that is just me. As for your experience I can attest to having similar results at several places. Apparently you were able to see or otherwise deduce what was going on which is something you must be cognizant of at all times.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Can all three adjustments (toe in camber and caster) be adjusted on the Yaris?
Many modern cars only have front toe adjust. Toe is what will shred tires the fastest. It is also the most likely to get knocked out of spec. To give an idea of allowable toe angles, you are typically looking at less than +/-0.20° total toe. As in, if your tires are not straight by 0.50° you will eat tires. Typically inside edge wear.
Most cars with independent rear suspension have toe adjust and sometimes camber adjust.

The Yaris is just front toe adjust unless camber bolts are installed.

Cheers.

Last edited by CoryM; 09-07-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Hershey

Took it to a Honda dealer and here are the results . They use a Hunter alignment rack . They said the tie rod on the front passenger side needed adjustment . This tire looked to have the most outer wear . How do you read the adjustments and does the work done seem to be within specs ? Could the alignment being out of wack cause a drop in gas mileage and should there be any improvement with adjustments ? The alignment was $70 , but would have been free if all was good . Thanks .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1193.JPG (226.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
CoryM

I'm pretty tired so hopefully this makes sense:

First off, look here:
http://www.platinumautoservice.com/s...0&%20align.jpg

Caster, camber and toe are the only angles to worry about. Your camber and caster are in good shape, and do not need any adjustment.

In terms of tire wear and fuel economy (yes, it does reduce MPG if toe is out), the only part of toe that really matters is "Total Toe". In your case, the Total Toe was 0.20°, which was actually in specification. Total Toe is the left and right toe angles combined. So if left wheel is toed IN .5°, and right is toed OUT .5°, you actually have 0° Total Toe (if you turn the steering wheel to even it out). While driving it would be at 0° Total toe, and the steering wheel would be off center in this case.

From the measurements, I can see that your steering wheel would have been off-center while driving straight (or it is now, after the alignment). Your Left Toe was w/i spec, and the Right was out. The Technician adjusted the Right Toe (and ONLY the Right Toe) until it was close to the Left Toe, making the Steering wheel centered. This worked in bringing all the angles w/i spec and gave you a centered steering wheel.

Sigh, and now I have to point out this is yet another example of flat-rate mechanics rushing jobs. They get paid a certain amount for each job they do, no matter how many they do in a day. For example he probably got paid 0.5-0.8 of a hour's wage for the alignment. More he does in a day, the more money he makes. Primarily found at dealerships, and my reason for recommending to NOT go to dealers except for warranty. I've worked flat-rate at dealers in the past..... good for mechanics/dealers, bad for customers. Ok, so remember Total Toe? The IDEAL spec for it is 0.15°. When you went in you were at 0.20°, and when you left you were at -0.01°. So you were 0.05° away from IDEAL before, and 0.16° after. What he should have done is adjusted the Right Toe to 0.07°, then the left to 0.07° also. This give you the IDEAL Total Toe, and a centered steering wheel. But of course it takes longer to adjust both sides, and he wants to get onto the next job faster, so he cuts corners. Had I done that alignment today, your Total toe would have been 0.14-0.16° (as close as you can really adjust with our machine).

End of the day, the ONLY thing he did was center the steering wheel. He did nothing to improve your tire wear or MPG and it is actually slightly further from perfect than it was when you went in. That being said, it is w/i spec and is acceptable from a wear pov. I just wish he would have done a better job. It's not hard (usually), just takes time.

Again, I am very tired so I hope this helps.
Cory
Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #15
Hershey

Thanks . A bit disappointed . Should it be taken back ? Or will they dance around it and then tempers be flaring ? I would point out the settings of the right and left toe to 0.07 and they would likely say something like are you a technician and / or where did you get this information ?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
^ I NEVER bring my car anywhere that it is not in my full visibility, but that is just me. As for your experience I can attest to having similar results at several places. Apparently you were able to see or otherwise deduce what was going on which is something you must be cognizant of at all times.
I brought the car in to have the tires balanced. Sears had a life time balance plan. Balance the tires once for a price and they do it free for the life of the car. I have my tires balalnced once a year.

With a very grave face the mechanic called me into the shop to look at the struts. He had squirted oil on the struts, all four of them. He pointed this out and said I neded all four replaced. I said "Well the car is under warranty so I will bring it to the dealer for repairs! Thanks for the heads up!"

His face fell a mile as he realized the mechanics at the dealer would tell me what he had done!

Sears did the same thing with my 79 240d. The man gravely showed me that the caliper on one of the brakes was 1/32 of an inch from the rotor. "You almosT RUINED your rotors because you need new brake pads all around!"

"Thankyou for pointing that out. I will have my mechanic look at it!"

What I didnt say was that he was point to a part of the caliper that does not move. Yes its that close to the rotor. It ALWAYS is.

Again their face fell as they realized my "mechanic" (myself!) would point out that he was a fraud!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I brought the car in to have the tires balanced. Sears had a life time balance plan. Balance the tires once for a price and they do it free for the life of the car. I have my tires balalnced once a year.

With a very grave face the mechanic called me into the shop to look at the struts. He had squirted oil on the struts, all four of them. He pointed this out and said I neded all four replaced. I said "Well the car is under warranty so I will bring it to the dealer for repairs! Thanks for the heads up!"

His face fell a mile as he realized the mechanics at the dealer would tell me what he had done!

Sears did the same thing with my 79 240d. The man gravely showed me that the caliper on one of the brakes was 1/32 of an inch from the rotor. "You almosT RUINED your rotors because you need new brake pads all around!"

"Thankyou for pointing that out. I will have my mechanic look at it!"

What I didnt say was that he was point to a part of the caliper that does not move. Yes its that close to the rotor. It ALWAYS is.

Again their face fell as they realized my "mechanic" (myself!) would point out that he was a fraud!
I don't want to poach Hershey's thread and will just say that I applaud you for not being duped, but will also say that you can be duped anywhere regardless of if it is Sears, pepboys, Midas, Bill's Repair, etc. Always do your homework before taking anything anywhere is the key. You could still get duped, it happens, but the ability for it to happen is lessened. I ONLY take my car to a shop when it is dealing with tools that I don't have like for tires/wheels, alignments (rarely), something that truly requires a lift, etc.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I'm pretty tired so hopefully this makes sense:

First off, look here:
http://www.platinumautoservice.com/s...0&%20align.jpg

Caster, camber and toe are the only angles to worry about. Your camber and caster are in good shape, and do not need any adjustment.

In terms of tire wear and fuel economy (yes, it does reduce MPG if toe is out), the only part of toe that really matters is "Total Toe". In your case, the Total Toe was 0.20°, which was actually in specification. Total Toe is the left and right toe angles combined. So if left wheel is toed IN .5°, and right is toed OUT .5°, you actually have 0° Total Toe (if you turn the steering wheel to even it out). While driving it would be at 0° Total toe, and the steering wheel would be off center in this case.

From the measurements, I can see that your steering wheel would have been off-center while driving straight (or it is now, after the alignment). Your Left Toe was w/i spec, and the Right was out. The Technician adjusted the Right Toe (and ONLY the Right Toe) until it was close to the Left Toe, making the Steering wheel centered. This worked in bringing all the angles w/i spec and gave you a centered steering wheel.

Sigh, and now I have to point out this is yet another example of flat-rate mechanics rushing jobs. They get paid a certain amount for each job they do, no matter how many they do in a day. For example he probably got paid 0.5-0.8 of a hour's wage for the alignment. More he does in a day, the more money he makes. Primarily found at dealerships, and my reason for recommending to NOT go to dealers except for warranty. I've worked flat-rate at dealers in the past..... good for mechanics/dealers, bad for customers. Ok, so remember Total Toe? The IDEAL spec for it is 0.15°. When you went in you were at 0.20°, and when you left you were at -0.01°. So you were 0.05° away from IDEAL before, and 0.16° after. What he should have done is adjusted the Right Toe to 0.07°, then the left to 0.07° also. This give you the IDEAL Total Toe, and a centered steering wheel. But of course it takes longer to adjust both sides, and he wants to get onto the next job faster, so he cuts corners. Had I done that alignment today, your Total toe would have been 0.14-0.16° (as close as you can really adjust with our machine).

End of the day, the ONLY thing he did was center the steering wheel. He did nothing to improve your tire wear or MPG and it is actually slightly further from perfect than it was when you went in. That being said, it is w/i spec and is acceptable from a wear pov. I just wish he would have done a better job. It's not hard (usually), just takes time.

Again, I am very tired so I hope this helps.
Cory

So you're saying that even though he is at 0* toe, his MPG is going to be WORSE that what it was (some toe in)?
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote