Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Stiffer suspension - same ride height?

I would love to have a stiffer more responsive suspension but I am not real thrilled with dropping the ride height. Are there spring spacers???

For example if and Eibach pro kit drops the front and rear by one inch, is there a one inch spacer to regain the original ride height???
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
DuckinOut
QUACK~!!!!!

Drives: Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to DuckinOut
i remember the pre-hack, someone on here did a whole post on the spring spacer that you have mention but i remember it was for only the rears, not sure about the fronts

DuckinOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Call up Eibach. They'll do custom stuff like that.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
2006fronty

Drives: 2010 Mazda3 iTouring
Maybe you can use the TRD shocks with the stock springs, I don't see why you couldn't.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
I put TRD springs on mine, but with the 205/40/17s I had previously installed, I had major rubbing issues. The solution I found was spring rubbers. They brought the car back up some (I used 3/4" rubbers) and solved the rubbing problem. More cool is they stiffened the car up significantly. These are what NASCAR uses to adjust suspension on the fly during a race. If the car is too 'tight' they remove a spring rubber. If it's too 'loose' they add one. They are cheap too. The set (2) I got for the front cost $20 on Ebay. You can get them at a racing supply store too.

The rear I did differently. I go to cycling events and have a Hidden Hitch with a hitch rack on my car and I also take alot of gear with me also. The car was really dropping in the rear under the load, so I got some Monroe Adjustable Air Shocks. These run with @ 30lbs level the car to match the front, and also stiffen it too. When I go to a race, I add air to take the extra weight. I take it out once I'm back home.

Just my redneck way of getting a better suspension cheaply. I run the twisty mountain roads where I live and I needed to be able to keep it on the road better.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i have some eibach prokits 1" drop if you wanna buy 'em...

otherwise TRD or tokico blue shocks w/ stock springs would firm stuff up w/o a change in height...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
OR coilovers set to minimum drop, although I don't know what that is for each brand.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
fuji

Hmmm, thebarber's Eibachs sound good. Calling Eibach for a custom set of psrings. I wonder how much that would cost? Do you guys know anyone who has done this? Any other ideas? Custom machined spacers?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
fuji

I was looking at JC whitney it looks like they have 1" rubber spacers

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Coil-Spring...3419_10101.jcw

With spacers people could fine tune their ride height cheaply. I am just not sure if these can be used on the rear.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006fronty View Post
Maybe you can use the TRD shocks with the stock springs, I don't see why you couldn't.
I agree.
Adding TRD shocks / struts to the otherwise standard suspension would definitely stiffen things up and improve handling preformance. Throw in a TRD rear swaybar as well and you'll be good to go at OEM altitude.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
I was looking at JC whitney it looks like they have 1" rubber spacers

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Coil-Spring...3419_10101.jcw

With spacers people could fine tune their ride height cheaply. I am just not sure if these can be used on the rear.

It was Loren (Our local suspension guru) who brought up the subject of the rubber spacers from JC Whitney.

If I remember correctly he ran some of those in the back of his car with the stock springs for some autoX events. They managed to increase the ride height and stiffnes.

And you can use them on the front as well.

You could go for Some Tanabe NF springs (1" drop) + rubber spacers and probably end up pretty close to the stock height.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
fuji

Hmmmm, there appears to be quite a difference in the diameter between the front and rears. I will go to the JCWhitney website to see what size are avaliable. Can anyone help me out with this??

Combining spacers of different widths seems to be a good way of tuning ride height.

Anyone else try this???
Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Why not go with a eibach pro kit its a very light drop and much stiffer than stock. The ride height is already very high. You would have any issues with scraping still. If you are really adamant about keeping stock hight but awnt to have a stiffer ride then go with tokiko blue shocks they have higher valving. Or maybe you could just order some extra bump stops and stack them. I supose that would work too. You could do that for the front and then just order tokiko shocks for the rear only.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote