Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
ElViShGiBbErIsH

Drives: Ducati Monster 750Dark
Help, the wife thinks the Yaris is a Dork mobile..

Ok.. So I am infatuated with the new Yaris, Particularly with the TRD 18" wheels and lowering kit but my wife thinks the Yaris is basically a Dorky little ride. I am trying my best to persuade her but 40mpg only goes so far.. Some smart 1 liners about why the Yaris is great would be appreciated

Now that my wife is sharing her TRUE feelings on the Yaris I am also wondering if anyone else felt a tad bit GEEKY for liking the Yaris? I mean even a little ? ?
ElViShGiBbErIsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElViShGiBbErIsH
Ok.. So I am infatuated with the new Yaris, Particularly with the TRD 18" wheels and lowering kit but my wife thinks the Yaris is basically a Dorky little ride. I am trying my best to persuade her but 40mpg only goes so far.. Some smart 1 liners about why the Yaris is great would be appreciated

Now that my wife is sharing her TRUE feelings on the Yaris I am also wondering if anyone else felt a tad bit GEEKY for liking the Yaris? I mean even a little ? ?
Bitch, NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!!!!

I LOVED the uniqueness of it, the beauty of its interior, ESPECIALLY the dash area! Love all the space and compartments! Loved the blue "dots" in the thread (which so well accented my bayou blue exterior), LOVE the shape of the body adn loved the rear end (and you know how much I love yalls Muranos rear end, so you know how important the appearance of the car's tail is to me ;)) ...

Cuz you gotta get this (if you really want it and get past these doubts of your own)!

You'd have SO much fun in it! Wait till you test drive the liftback! You'll fall in love, i promise! I know you bitch! Trust me.

The way it hugs the road, its surprising peppiness (something which i never found to be true in the Echo), the "uniqueness" of it which will still get you looks (the good kind, if just not as many as you get in ur FJ Cruiser) and ull grow to love it!

seriously mcnabb, test it first before missy convinces you that you wont like it and ull think ur dorky in it!

YARIS FTW!
Serious.

EDIT:

And since yall have two vehicles, Missy has her FJ Cruiser and shes uber happy, so know you need your new vehicle which you will love. I dont think you should NOT get it because she doesnt like it... unless you come to realise and see things as she does... just make sure YOU love your new vehicle whatever it is. if you love it and you're driving it, it shouldnt matter if she doesnt, since ull be the one driving it :)

Go with the gut i say!
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
punch her
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
All the women that have seen my yaris have about swooned over it. Saying its "Soooo cute".

I'm guessing your wife doesn't want you to get a yaris cause she's afraid women will be all over you.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
All the women that have seen my yaris have about swooned over it. Saying its "Soooo cute".

I'm guessing your wife doesn't want you to get a yaris cause she's afraid women will be all over you.
LOL I could see that
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:

Take her for a test drive...Most doubters who get inside the car and feel the way it feels/handles like a much bigger car have been converted...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
dork mobile? why, because it is small?

the guys who only drive big rides are just compensating for a lack of something anyway
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
You're not going to get 40mpg with 18" wheels on it, that's for sure.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Speak for yourself. I get 42 US mpg on a 80% hwy commute on 205/40/17 Kumho Ecsta MXs.

BTW that's with A/C on 100% of the time at +38C/+99F weather.
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Damn you guys are harsh.. LOL. Makes me glad I am single. I don't gotta worry about a GF (or BF if you swing that way), wife, kids & all that. Just gotta make sure my bills are paid and that I can put a little away at the end of the month.

Anyway, I agree with one of the first responders. Take her for a ride in it. She will see that the Yaris has a heart of gold. SO far, every single person who has balked at how tiny it is, sits in it (front or back seat, doesn't matter) and comments on how much room they have. It pulls well, even with 4 people in it, and has a lot of cargo space when the back seats are put down. I can only speak for the LB on this one.

- K
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:12 AM   #11
ubetiam
"oh what a feeling"

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS (B) - 3dr
Send a message via MSN to ubetiam
D-I-V-O-R-C-E *teasing*

most of my friends thought i was crazy at first... until they booted around town in it... theres a whole new level of appreciation when you actually experience. Its peppy, looks cool, its surprisingly roomy, gets great mileage, gets a lot of stares, easy to park, fun to drive and its evironmentally responsible. It just makes sense!!!
ubetiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
ElViShGiBbErIsH

Drives: Ducati Monster 750Dark
Quote:
I LOVED the uniqueness of it, the beauty of its interior, ESPECIALLY the dash area! Love all the space and compartments! Loved the blue "dots" in the thread (which so well accented my bayou blue exterior), LOVE the shape of the body and loved the rear end (and you know how much I love yalls Muranos rear end, so you know how important the appearance of the car's tail is to me ;)) ...
I agree, it is definitely simplicity at its B E S T

I am taking the wife to the big city for a test ride this Monday (None of the local dealers has any in stock). This to me will be the make it or break it. I think she will come around to it in the end but all the negative comments from friends down here has me second guessing myself. People aren't being right out mean or anything but when I show them the car they are like.. "It kinda looks like an egg" or they will flip the hand out in a girly manner... if you know what I mean.. (NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT )

Quote:
I will have to present your assumptions to her.. I never thought of it that way.. could be a definite possibility

Quote:
dork mobile? why, because it is small?

the guys who only drive big rides are just compensating for a lack of something anyway
That is something a dork would say !
(I kidd, I keeddd)

Quote:
Good point, I will have to check into how much the wheel size affects the mpg

Quote:
It just makes sense!!!
E X A C T L Y

Well I will update about my situation after the test ride this Monday and if ll else fails I might have to resort to action and take birdy's advice
ElViShGiBbErIsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
I agree, it is definitely simplicity at its B E S

Well I will update about my situation after the test ride this Monday
Im crossing the fingers for ya man! You need this ride!

Make Missy love that shit!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Tell her your Girlfriend loves it...
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
Tell her your Girlfriend loves it...

LMFAO!!!!

Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #16
YarisBlazer

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Have you seen the dumb Hummer ad?

Has anyone seen that stupid Hummer ad on TV? A guy is buying healthy food at supermarket, like broccoli, tofu,etc.....guy behind him in line is buying tons of meat; he goes to local dealer and buys a Hummer "to get his manhood back" (I guess ?); Is this shit for real? What the ad doesnt say is that the guy behind him in line at supermarket (who is supposed to be envied) will die of heart disease at 50 and our protagonist Hummer-driver will spend the next 10 years driving from gas station to gas station (or, worse, if Middle east stays on present course we will all be in hybrids or Yarii in 5--10 years); are Americans really this dumb and unconcerned about environment, their resepective health and the oncoming geopoitical war over oil (WWIII ???); Come ON!!! I belive Yaris owners are a new wave of consumers who will eventually become the norm; I truly believe we will look back in shame on Hummers and SUV's as terrorist-funding death machines and Yarii and their ilk as saviors; what do you think ?
YarisBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureyarisowner
Has anyone seen that stupid Hummer ad on TV? A guy is buying healthy food at supermarket, like broccoli, tofu,etc.....guy behind him in line is buying tons of meat; he goes to local dealer and buys a Hummer "to get his manhood back" (I guess ?); Is this shit for real? What the ad doesnt say is that the guy behind him in line at supermarket (who is supposed to be envied) will die of heart disease at 50 and our protagonist Hummer-driver will spend the next 10 years driving from gas station to gas station (or, worse, if Middle east stays on present course we will all be in hybrids or Yarii in 5--10 years); are Americans really this dumb and unconcerned about environment, their resepective health and the oncoming geopoitical war over oil (WWIII ???); Come ON!!! I belive Yaris owners are a new wave of consumers who will eventually become the norm; I truly believe we will look back in shame on Hummers and SUV's as terrorist-funding death machines and Yarii and their ilk as saviors; what do you think ?
i think it will take consistent $4-5 a gallon gas if not more for our mindset to become the norm. what do you think the oil companies are saying right now? executive: "look at these suckers, they're still sucking it down and we're charging 50% more than we did 18 months ago, the sky is the F'in limit!"

We're trading in our honda element for the yaris - i'm going to miss it very much it was extremely versatile and great for camping, moving, you name it. but to me, even 22mpg is not good enough, i'm glad my first car was a honda civic CX manual tranny! you start missing 40mpg pretty fast when gas is $3 a gallon.

in a few years maybe i'll pick up an old element for $6-8K, and use it solely for trips and if we have a short commute...the yaris will be for absolutely everything else!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #18
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
As always looks can be deceiving. To me, my friend's Chevy Avalanche looks "dorky", but I guess it gets the job done (at an incredible cost) for her. If someone has made up their mind that the Yaris is a dorky car, you can only hope that a test drive will bring them around. Unfortunately some people have closed minds about what a car should be or look like, and nothing will change their opinion.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote