Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Time to replace rotors. Which brake upgrades?

My rotors on my 2009 Yaris sedan have finally worn out. They have that "rotor shimmy" that tells you its time to either replace the rotors, or have them shaved. I'm kind of on the fence about having them shaved. They're going to lose thickness, which technically makes them out of spec with what toyota intended. So I'm not sure I'm really for "turning" rotors, as some people call it. Others call it shaving them. My local orielly's or autozone will turn them, but I'm thinking a brake upgrade is in order. So here's my questions:

1. So what is a good brake rotor upgrade, that won't break the bank? Perhaps those EBC slotted rotors that come in black? I don't think I really want drilled rotors, as they do have a tendency to crack. But which rotors would last a long time, and definitely be an upgrade to stock rotors?

2. I'd also like to do some braided stainless steel brake lines. If I'm right about this (and I could be wrong) my Yaris should have rubber brake lines that actually connect to the caliper itself. Same thing that is on my old 1987 Silverado. Well, as I'm sure you all know, if you replace those with braided stainless steel upgrades, those lines can no longer "bulge" or flex, from the inside out. Which is why they make the braided steel ones. And thus, your braking is slightly improved. Does anyone make such a thing for the yaris? And if so, which ones would you recommend? I'm probably going to go ahead and change the brake fluid, since it just hit 150k miles on the odometer. Might as well switch over to stainless steel lines if I'm going to have to change the brake fluid.

3. Pads? Is there a pad upgrade, to the stock toyota pads that my car has? When I got the car, it only had 40k miles on it. So I'm sure it still had the stock pads and rotors still on there. But now since I'll be replacing the rotors, I'm going to replace the pads too. Is there an upgraded pad, that will actually perform any better, perhaps last just as long, and maybe not produce much brake dust? I have my doubts that there is actually a better pad, than the stock toyota pads, for the yaris. But I just thought I'd ask.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe something like this for the pads and rotors. Any reason I shouldn't go this route? Not sure about the pads...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Brakes-S...dXKfV5&vxp=mtr
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
First of all, most rotors have specs for how much material can be removed to refurbish them. So turning them doesn't necessarily put them "out of spec".
Old 05-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
BennyLava

Necessarily? So do you know whether or not it would?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
bronsin

I ll be 60 this year and have fixed my own cars since I was 17 for myself, family and friends.

The only car I ever came across the manufacturer said DO NOT resurface rotor is MB.

IVE NEVER HAD A problem doing it.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
My rotors on my 2009 Yaris sedan have finally worn out. They have that "rotor shimmy" that tells you its time to either replace the rotors, or have them shaved. I'm kind of on the fence about having them shaved. They're going to lose thickness, which technically makes them out of spec with what toyota intended. So I'm not sure I'm really for "turning" rotors, as some people call it. Others call it shaving them. My local orielly's or autozone will turn them, but I'm thinking a brake upgrade is in order. So here's my questions:

1. So what is a good brake rotor upgrade, that won't break the bank? Perhaps those EBC slotted rotors that come in black? I don't think I really want drilled rotors, as they do have a tendency to crack. But which rotors would last a long time, and definitely be an upgrade to stock rotors?

2. I'd also like to do some braided stainless steel brake lines. If I'm right about this (and I could be wrong) my Yaris should have rubber brake lines that actually connect to the caliper itself. Same thing that is on my old 1987 Silverado. Well, as I'm sure you all know, if you replace those with braided stainless steel upgrades, those lines can no longer "bulge" or flex, from the inside out. Which is why they make the braided steel ones. And thus, your braking is slightly improved. Does anyone make such a thing for the yaris? And if so, which ones would you recommend? I'm probably going to go ahead and change the brake fluid, since it just hit 150k miles on the odometer. Might as well switch over to stainless steel lines if I'm going to have to change the brake fluid.

3. Pads? Is there a pad upgrade, to the stock toyota pads that my car has? When I got the car, it only had 40k miles on it. So I'm sure it still had the stock pads and rotors still on there. But now since I'll be replacing the rotors, I'm going to replace the pads too. Is there an upgraded pad, that will actually perform any better, perhaps last just as long, and maybe not produce much brake dust? I have my doubts that there is actually a better pad, than the stock toyota pads, for the yaris. But I just thought I'd ask.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe something like this for the pads and rotors. Any reason I shouldn't go this route? Not sure about the pads...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Brakes-S...dXKfV5&vxp=mtr
#1. I would personally stay away from drilled rotors, and I would say "maybe" towards the slotted. They look cool, but i don't believe they perform as well as regular rotors because there is a lower contact area between the pad and rotor. The slots are believed to extend pad life, however I personally would trade longer life for better stopping power. That's really all your call though.

#2. Definitely one of the best times to upgrade! Plenty of manufacturers to choose from. You can't go wrong with either of them.

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts...-line-kit.html

http://www.frsport.com/GOODRIDGE-210...S_p_12298.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Yaris...MAAOSw~gRVlGjJ (personally have and use this set, one of the best braking upgrades I've made!)

#3. In terms of pads, I would suggest looking for some that offer good brake fade and low dust characteristics. Carbotech have some of the best fade resistance pads with a low dust formula. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbotech-CT...EAAOSwll1Wu7hA)

Many people on this forum also run Hawk Performance pads on their cars for the same reason. (http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-377-hp...rake-pads.aspx)

Hope all this info helps!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I ll be 60 this year and have fixed my own cars since I was 17 for myself, family and friends.

The only car I ever came across the manufacturer said DO NOT resurface rotor is MB.

IVE NEVER HAD A problem doing it.
I've seen em crack, twice. One was a friend in high school on his old chevy, the other on my grandfather's lincoln. BOTH after having them turned. Thats what makes me question it

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
#1. I would personally stay away from drilled rotors, and I would say "maybe" towards the slotted. They look cool, but i don't believe they perform as well as regular rotors because there is a lower contact area between the pad and rotor. The slots are believed to extend pad life, however I personally would trade longer life for better stopping power. That's really all your call though.

#2. Definitely one of the best times to upgrade! Plenty of manufacturers to choose from. You can't go wrong with either of them.

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts...-line-kit.html

http://www.frsport.com/GOODRIDGE-210...S_p_12298.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Yaris...MAAOSw~gRVlGjJ (personally have and use this set, one of the best braking upgrades I've made!)

#3. In terms of pads, I would suggest looking for some that offer good brake fade and low dust characteristics. Carbotech have some of the best fade resistance pads with a low dust formula. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbotech-CT...EAAOSwll1Wu7hA)

Many people on this forum also run Hawk Performance pads on their cars for the same reason. (http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-377-hp...rake-pads.aspx)

Hope all this info helps!
Thanks for the help! But I wonder why the first set of braided lines is half the price of the other two. Half the quality? lol
Old 05-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
bronsin

I guess if I saw one crack I'd feel the same.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I guess if I saw one crack I'd feel the same.
I can't say for sure that both those rotors weren't chinese junk, that got put on the vehicles at some point along the way. But it gave me pause. I would like to know the rest of the details. Like how thin a rotor can really be before it cracks, what effect a thinner rotor has on braking (if any) etc
Old 05-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
bronsin

Its very rare that i wear out a set of brakes because i drive so I seldom make much use of them. Ive ridden motorcycles for decades and never had issues with the discs and discs on a mc are MUCH thinner than auto discs. O fcourse mc s are 1/4 the weight of cars...
Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Drilled rotors = NO
Slotted = NO
On the track no one uses them!!!! Plenty of information on rotors if you google.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd have the rotor turned, the oem ones are made from better materials then the cheap rotors all the parts houses sell.
I heard that the braided hoses should be replaced often too.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #12
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
I'd have the rotor turned, the oem ones are made from better materials then the cheap rotors all the parts houses sell.
I heard that the braided hoses should be replaced often too.
This is also a concern for me. However those EBC ones I linked, probably exceed the OEM quality. That's just a guess though, but EBC is known for high quality on their expensive rotors. They do have less expensive offerings though. I'm going to call the toyota dealer and get a price on OEM ones.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #13
BennyLava

Does anyone happen to know the brand (if its not just "Toyota brand") that toyota uses for rotors on the 09 yaris? Or perhaps a part number? Its the sedan, if that matters.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
I used Wagner Brake BD126409 ThermoQuiet Disc Brake Rotors a couple of years ago when I serviced my brakes. They are OE qaulity

http://www.opticatonline.com/part/wa...sc-brake-rotor

For pads I used Wagner Brake ZD1184 Quick Stop Disc Brake Pads

http://www.opticatonline.com/part/wa...disc-brake-pad
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimelio View Post
I used Wagner Brake BD126409 ThermoQuiet Disc Brake Rotors a couple of years ago when I serviced my brakes. They are OE qaulity

http://www.opticatonline.com/part/wa...sc-brake-rotor

For pads I used Wagner Brake ZD1184 Quick Stop Disc Brake Pads

http://www.opticatonline.com/part/wa...disc-brake-pad
Thanks for the links. I'd just like to ask how you know they are OE quality. Just curious
Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
bail_w

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
Centric Premium Rotors with Centric POSIQUIET pads is a good combination. Many people reported that they had good experience with Centric rotors and pads.
bail_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Does anyone happen to know the brand (if its not just "Toyota brand") that toyota uses for rotors on the 09 yaris? Or perhaps a part number? Its the sedan, if that matters.
Probably Aisin manufactures those for Toyota, Advics Co. Ltd. is a big supplier of braking components part of the group. Is better to check online with your VIN for the exact part # if you want the Toyota brand ones.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
Its better to check online with your VIN for the exact part # if you want the Toyota brand ones.
This is something I never really figured out how to do. Is there a reliable website where you can enter the Vin, and see all par numbers?