Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Now, the question is... what spring rate did you end up with?

We can do some math and get close. Give me the diameter of the wire, the number of active coils "before" and the number of active coils "after" and I'll crunch it for you.

This is awesome stuff. After today's autocross, I think a tad more rear rate (even more than the 400# I already have) would be good. Will make it kinda clunky on the street, which it already is. But, I'm still having to jack the rear shock adjustment to almost full stiff to get the front to hook up like I want it to. Need more rear rate!
what rates are you running up front again?
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
4kg up front. About 225#.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
Penguin Garage

Drives: Yaris
Tamago loves typing....

he's not wrong though.
Penguin Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
Penguin Garage

Drives: Yaris
kngsrll, get pics with the spacers when you get a chance.
Penguin Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #23
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Garage View Post
kngsrll, get pics with the spacers when you get a chance.
will do!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Well, the set up works! My friend Wade and I placed 1st and 2nd in ST (street tire) class today out of 12 cars. Wade got 6th in PAX out of 190 cars. He used to race an SE-R so he is much better with FWD than i am. Anyways, it was a great day... Alot of people commented on how fast the little yaris was! It was 2nd fastest raw street tire time of the day as well!

so this set up works :)
Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
Loren
What?

A well setup Yaris is truly capable as long as the course isn't too horsepower-friendly. I finished 6th overall out of 37 drivers yesterday. (results) Only one of the cars ahead of me was on street tires... and that was an S2000! I also had a co-driver, we finished 1-2 in our class. He'd never driven a Yaris before and was quite impressed with it.

How many runs do you get at a 190-car autocross? That's a lot of cars! Our club limits entries to 60.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #26
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
A well setup Yaris is truly capable as long as the course isn't too horsepower-friendly. I finished 6th overall out of 37 drivers yesterday. (results) Only one of the cars ahead of me was on street tires... and that was an S2000! I also had a co-driver, we finished 1-2 in our class. He'd never driven a Yaris before and was quite impressed with it.

How many runs do you get at a 190-car autocross? That's a lot of cars! Our club limits entries to 60.
3 runs, it sucked.

They need to start capping events here.

btw, the car 3 wheels like CRAZY now!! and the metal ties work really well!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #27
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Congrats to You and Wade . Looks like HTM ( High Tach ) still rules

Yeah 190 cars is way too much . Thats part of the reason I don't like Autox that much anymore . Well that and working 20hrs a day 7 days a week . To me 8-10 hrs of baking for 3-4 mins of driving just not worth it to me .

Hope to see ya'll at Roebling
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #28
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Congrats to You and Wade . Looks like HTM ( High Tach ) still rules

Yeah 190 cars is way too much . Thats part of the reason I don't like Autox that much anymore . Well that and working 20hrs a day 7 days a week . To me 8-10 hrs of baking for 3-4 mins of driving just not worth it to me .

Hope to see ya'll at Roebling
Definately will see you there!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #29
Loren
What?

Autocross is what you make of it. A well-run club can make it worthwhile. It's still a lot of standing around for not a lot of seat time, but the seat time is intense, and sometimes the competition is fun. We usually do 6-8 runs. We also include coolers full of iced water and sodas along with lunch in our entry fee, which adds to the value. Veterans like me usually ride along with others throughout the day... really, that's almost as much fun as driving. It's fun to be able to give someone that one little driving tip they needed to hear and see them drop a second or two on their next run!

Heh, you're right, Ken... I don't notice it so much, I drive pretty smoothly and don't usually feel when the lifted wheel comes down, but my co-driver commented on it. Last weekend, they were calling me "tripod". I need to get some video of the new suspension setup in action and see what that's all about.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #30
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Zip ties, cutting springs? Holy sh**. If you do that over here you`ll get a lot of trouble with the police, insurance and the german TÜV.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #31
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
Zip ties, cutting springs? Holy sh**. If you do that over here you`ll get a lot of trouble with the police, insurance and the german TÜV.
god bless america? ?

I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #32
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Autocross is what you make of it. A well-run club can make it worthwhile. It's still a lot of standing around for not a lot of seat time, but the seat time is intense, and sometimes the competition is fun. We usually do 6-8 runs. We also include coolers full of iced water and sodas along with lunch in our entry fee, which adds to the value. Veterans like me usually ride along with others throughout the day... really, that's almost as much fun as driving. It's fun to be able to give someone that one little driving tip they needed to hear and see them drop a second or two on their next run!

Heh, you're right, Ken... I don't notice it so much, I drive pretty smoothly and don't usually feel when the lifted wheel comes down, but my co-driver commented on it. Last weekend, they were calling me "tripod". I need to get some video of the new suspension setup in action and see what that's all about.
agreed, our local club has been able to turn out 4 runs with over 200 cars before. granted, the day had no fubars (like yesterday's event) but from what i've seen it's the noobs who usually screw things up, standing around BSing instead of paying attention to cones down etc. then there's always the one guy in a 'vette who thinks going thru the finishline lights sideways is a good way to end his last run (effectively taking out the lights, costing us half an hour to fix them). the events themselves can be run smoothly as long as every participant goes to the event with the idea in mind that they are not there to just race, but participate in the entire event. i actually worked during all 3 of the run groups i wasn't in.. why the hell not? standing in the sun is standing in the sun, might as well do it with a great view of the action!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:

LOL, id love some video! I wish i could have got some from the action yesterday!!

Now as for my driving, i struggle. I have always used a 240sx to race with. I loved that car bc i could really throw it around and drive hard. Well, the Yaris was fast when you were more gentle!! So, I have some learning to do. At the track, its a different store, where smooth is king anyways, i did well there, but autox, yeah, gotta smooth out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
agreed, our local club has been able to turn out 4 runs with over 200 cars before. granted, the day had no fubars (like yesterday's event) but from what i've seen it's the noobs who usually screw things up, standing around BSing instead of paying attention to cones down etc. then there's always the one guy in a 'vette who thinks going thru the finishline lights sideways is a good way to end his last run (effectively taking out the lights, costing us half an hour to fix them). the events themselves can be run smoothly as long as every participant goes to the event with the idea in mind that they are not there to just race, but participate in the entire event. i actually worked during all 3 of the run groups i wasn't in.. why the hell not? standing in the sun is standing in the sun, might as well do it with a great view of the action!
Sweet, let us know how you did!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #34
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Yeah I guess I just need to get remotivated . You guys are contributing greatly to that effect Not to mention my GF and her daughter LOVED the last Autox we went to in Myrtle Beach . My GF just purchased a Mini ( she had a 4x4 blazer ) and she is always asking stuff like "Why do you steer like that" , " Why do you accel here b/c this is where I brake " . She is actually shuffle steering now , and pretty darn good at it .
I informed my GF that I wanted to go to Roebling Road for 3 days . What does she do ? Books a hotel room Maybe I should put all these hints together and get a clue

I do remember how extremely gratifying it is to help someone shave a second or two of their time . Not to mention the smile it produced on their face I remember how good it felt to coach my son's ex GF to win the ladies division in her first season in a car that she never drove ( my son's MR2 ) . She actually beat him a couple of times . Needless to say he got a little mad . But like I pointed out to him " She listens very well , and she executes very well " . Ya'll know how a father/son relationship is " Dad is old and doesn't know crap " . Another thing that I pointed out to my son " Age and treachery ALWAYS , ALWAYS , beat out youth and speed "