Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
MCM's 2ZR swap

I wonder if the guys are trolling here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwJ0Xo3Xls&t=0s

They make it look so easy!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It would be silly if they're not. The overall attitude of the build being "we don't know if it will work" or "there are rumors on the internet that it can be done" is a bit offputting thought it was almost certainly done on purpose to keep people watching.

We've busted our asses over here to prove that it can be done many times. It would be nice to get acknowledgement for the work we've done, even if only a nod. "A certain Yaris-based online community has well documented evidence that it can be done" or something. /rant
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
It would be silly if they're not. The overall attitude of the build being "we don't know if it will work" or "there are rumors on the internet that it can be done" is a bit offputting thought it was almost certainly done on purpose to keep people watching.

We've busted our asses over here to prove that it can be done many times. It would be nice to get acknowledgement for the work we've done, even if only a nod. "A certain Yaris-based online community has well documented evidence that it can be done" or something. /rant
+1000000

Not that I had anything to do with that swap's R&D, but the point is valid.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:

I think we should comment on their video. I'd just love to mention that if they want even more HP, drop a turbo on the 2ZR. I think I might post, and mention YW.

EDIT: I posted giving credit where credit is due. Also a little plug for my car.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-30-2019 at 08:44 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I think we should comment on their video. I'd just love to mention that if they want even more HP, drop a turbo on the 2ZR. I think I might post, and mention YW.

EDIT: I posted giving credit where credit is due. Also a little plug for my car.
Atta boy!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
You're welcome!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Not an easy mod here in Australia. The xD was never sold here so the required engine mount needs to be sourced from overseas, or fabricated like MCM did.

The local authorities don't look kindly on engine swaps or modifications. If the vehicle's power is increased by more than 20%, the vehicle needs to be certified by an approved engineer that it is safe and meets pollution control limits.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
Not an easy mod here in Australia. The xD was never sold here so the required engine mount needs to be sourced from overseas, or fabricated like MCM did.

The local authorities don't look kindly on engine swaps or modifications. If the vehicle's power is increased by more than 20%, the vehicle needs to be certified by an approved engineer that it is safe and meets pollution control limits.
But if the goal is an offroad/track toy, there shouldn't be anything stopping you. =)
Old 01-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Quote:
But if the goal is an offroad/track toy, there shouldn't be anything stopping you. =)
It's my daily driver and tow car for my sailing boat. We get the real Yaris here in Australia, currently only available as a 4 door hatchback. The local tow hitch manufacturers state their hitches do not fit the current model due to the different rear bumper to earlier models, so I will wait and see if a tow hitch is available for the GR Yaris due to arrive late this year...
Old 12-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
It's not too hard to source the parts. They can all be obtained through North Shore Toyota in NZ and shipped over :). Though it's a 4 - 6 week wait.

The MCM guys would have clearly read through the main 2ZR threads on this forum to glean what they needed to do. I could have even supplied them my 2ZR engine mount and cooling system hoses etc at replacement cost if the opportunity had arisen.

Given the immobiliser computer was plug and play, I bet they could have even got away with registering the corolla ECU to the Yaris immobiliser computer in the same way Adam did. No dodgy key jiggery then.

They didn't really cover what they did with the exhaust, but I'm assuming they used the cat and down pipe from the Corolla and then welded on the 2" pipe from there.

Would be interesting to see how they wired in the radiator fan and whether they used the corolla fan controller.

All in all, good on em. I hope they read this thread as well, and if they do, please hook a haltech elite 1500 up to it and turbo it!
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Awesome episode
Old 12-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I enjoyed it. Adds to thinking about sticking this motor in my 4dr tercel

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #13
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
It has renewed my interest in doing the swap. I have to get my Z31 put back together first, though so I can have something else to drive while the yaris is down.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
They make another video installing a turbo from ebay to Yaris Hiltom
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredovvti View Post
They make another video installing a turbo from ebay to Yaris Hiltom
Pretty good video, does show how much "easier" a pre-made kit can be!

I had a good laugh in the beginning when Marty said something like "Yaris guys will be sure to let us know", a possible dig at this thread?

Anyway, will be really interesting to see how they work out the engine management, really looking forward to the next part!

Bye bye 1NZ...

Last edited by eTiMaGo; 01-22-2020 at 09:49 AM.
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #16
CrankyOldMan

I was pretty excited to see it as well. I'm also interested in their engine management choice since I might want to go standalone on my track toy some day.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #17
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
I'm very curious to see what numbers its gonna put down on the dyno.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
I'm very curious to see what numbers its gonna put down on the dyno.
Me too! To soon to guess without knowing management and tune/boost etc. I wonder if they'll push it up to around 10 - 12 psi. Definitely subscribed.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote