Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
swifty
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Battery drain issue

Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 yaris and have an ongoing problem with battery drain when the car isn't running. I can let the car sit for weeks without running it and there doesn't seem to be an issue so I don't think there's a short or major drain while the car is idle.
The issue is, however, that if I run the radio for 30 min or turn on the headlights for as little as 5 min without the car running, the battery dies and I have to jump the car to start it and recharge the battery. I have replaced the battery so I did rule that out as a culprit.
Is this normal for a yaris? Do those batteries drain that quickly when in use and without the car idling?
I've been left stranded at stores numerous times by shutting off car, walking up to the building, realizing the lights are still on, and immediately going back and turning them off (no more than 4-5 min time expired).
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Alternator may be on it's way out? Get it tested. Your battery may be charging lightly but not enough.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Is This The Original Battery?

Battery may be on the way out - Is this the original battery?
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Battery may be on the way out - Is this the original battery?
They said they already replaced the battery.

It could be the alternator, although since it starts after sitting for a while that doesn't seem right as it wouldn't be recharging the battery at all.

I hate electrical problems, they can be a bear to track down; so unless CTScott can suggestion something, I recommend taking it to a good, trustworthy mechanic!

Cheers! M2
Old 01-07-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Turn everything off and measure the quiescent current.
If it is far more than 50mA, pull fuse by fuse until it significantly drops and tell us which one it was :)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Turn everything off and measure the quiescent current.

If it is far more than 50mA, pull fuse by fuse until it significantly drops and tell us which one it was :)

I believe the yaris runs around 100ma of static drain...
Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
my07ty

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
So basically what you're saying is it needs to be started, and ran for a small period of time every single day?

I bought a new battery, back in November. No issues up until about 3 weeks ago when it was -15° for a few days, and it was dead after sitting for 2 days. Charged it, and was fine for 2 weeks. Let it sit over a weekend same result. Pulled the battery and had it tested last Monday. It was determined to be bad. Got a new battery on Tuesday. Was fine all week. Parked car on Friday night after work, went to start this morning, completely dead.
I don't see how a brand new week old battery goes completely flat over 2 days with nothing turned on.
Getting more, and more frustrated with this car.
my07ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by my07ty View Post
So basically what you're saying is it needs to be started, and ran for a small period of time every single day?

I bought a new battery, back in November. No issues up until about 3 weeks ago when it was -15° for a few days, and it was dead after sitting for 2 days. Charged it, and was fine for 2 weeks. Let it sit over a weekend same result. Pulled the battery and had it tested last Monday. It was determined to be bad. Got a new battery on Tuesday. Was fine all week. Parked car on Friday night after work, went to start this morning, completely dead.
I don't see how a brand new week old battery goes completely flat over 2 days with nothing turned on.
Getting more, and more frustrated with this car.
That is not normal. The battery should last over 3 weeks of not being started. If yours is draining within a day or two you likely have either something that is drawing current when the car is off (bad stereo system install, etc.) or a bad alternator, which does not fully charge the battery when the car is running.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #9
my07ty

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
That was going to be the next thing I test was the stereo. What I don't understand is, how does an amp draw power with the ignition off? Especially when I get the "pop" of the sub when I turn the key to acc...

I've done a fair share of installs in my day, but have never had this issue. Not saying I'm not at fault, just curious why this one is different???
my07ty is offline   Reply With Quote