Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Wow! You are ambitious. One thing i would like to comment on. I had to have my muffler replaced and the shop put one on that looks just like the one you put on. It is is not the same shape or dimensions as the OEM. As a result, the edge of the muffler kept bumping the inside wall of the body causing an annoying noise. I took it back and they put in a different one one with a shape resembling a coffee can. It fit better but was not quiet like it should be. It was noisy and sounded cheap. I'm sure there are those on here that would like that, but I didn't. So here is my point. I ended up purchasing a genuine Toyota muffler that looks and sounds like the one that came with the car. My car sounds like new. When it comes to mufflers, I will now always recommend OEM.

Keep up the nice mods!
Thanks! Sticking with OEM is always safe, I noticed there were two styles of mufflers when I ordered mine too. I wanted it a little louder than stock so I ordered the aftermarket style. It fit well but I went with a brand I know, I'm sure there are other ones out there that would have worse fitment.
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:48 AM   #20
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Great work mate. I've got to do something about the rust on my car. I'd be interested to see how the paint you used holds up. I have heard some horror stories of people using paint where the rust either comes through the paint or its still rusting away underneath the paint.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #21
Brighton
Knower of little

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
Great work mate. I've got to do something about the rust on my car. I'd be interested to see how the paint you used holds up. I have heard some horror stories of people using paint where the rust either comes through the paint or its still rusting away underneath the paint.
Thanks! Only time will tell. I've worked on a bunch of Toyotas and Subarus so I've seen a fair share of rust. It's to the point I refuse to use heavy coatings like POR-15 and rubberized undercoating because I've seen it become cancerous underneath the coating.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #22
Brighton
Knower of little

Small Update

Nothing too terribly exciting since the cars been drama free. I did some maintenance this weekend as well as stopped by the local junkyard and got a 1.8L throttle body and a neat shift knob from a scion TC.

photo5039614750413138034.jpg

The throttle body came off an 04 Matrix and isn't even remotely close to working. I can adapt the cooling lines to work but not much else so that idea is out the window (unless I find a newer 1.8 to steal a TB from)

But the shift knob is on and looks good, better than the ebay special one I had on previously.

photo5042335603605219456.jpg
Old 01-04-2020, 12:34 AM   #23
Brighton
Knower of little

Updates

I'm slowly chipping away at my to-do list over the past couple weekends. Firstly let me explain my reasoning behind most these mods. I hate cars that feel cheap, and although yaris' are cheap global platform cars, they don't need to feel cheap.

Boring Maintenance Done:
New serpentine belt, new rear lift supports, bilstein rear shocks (matching fronts will come later), weathertech floor mats, fixed the roof wrap, and cleaned all the ground wires I could find.

The center armrest is just hollow plastic, so I put some junk hardware in it and then filled it with expanding foam, to give it some weight and an overall better feel.
photo4936099454394673328.jpg
photo4936099454394673327.jpg

I swapped all the speakers in the car and replaced them with JBLs. Took me a while to figure out how to mount them and to get them all in phase with each other but they bump now, so really happy about that. Also added more sound deadening while I'm at it. (mostly to help remove the cheapness sound when you close the doors and road noise.)

Before
Jan3 (5).JPG

After
Jan3 (7).JPG

Another cheapness thing I dislike is the horn, it sounds like a bumper car. I robbed a set of horns and bracket off a subaru (from 2009+ models) at the junkard and installed them. (they also happened to be the same brand and one was even the same model number as the yaris one.) They bolted right in and I only had to trim a little of the air dam and solder in two plugs (they SHOULD have a relay and a power source but I can't be bothered.) Also I will probably modify the front bumper before reinstalling but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Before
Jan3 (10).JPG

After
Jan3 (12).JPG
Old 01-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #24
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
You gotta go air if you want a real horn

If you get the chance, try 2003-2008 dodge ram horns they're pretty loud and have a good angry tone

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #25
Brighton
Knower of little

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
You gotta go air if you want a real horn

If you get the chance, try 2003-2008 dodge ram horns they're pretty loud and have a good angry tone
Hahaha that's so excessive, I love it! So far they sound fine, we'll see how they are in use. I have caddy horns on my other car and they're nice, but those definitely need another power source.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #26
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
The thing I like about the air horns is that the big rigs can hear you just before they kill you lol

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #27
Brighton
Knower of little

Quarantine Updates

This was all done over the past few weeks during this lock in period.

Maintenance:
Trans flush with new pan gasket and filter
Engine oil flush and new oil pan gasket
First wash, wax, and seal in like 10 months

photo4945510213071513641.jpg

Mods:
Started restoring the junkyard Konig 15x7 rims I got a while back, no tires yet so won't be installed right away.
35% tint all the way around

photo4942902910224803983.jpg
photo4942902910224803984.jpg
photo4942902910224803985.jpg
Old 04-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #28
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Looking really nice. What do you use for a paint sealer?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #29
Brighton
Knower of little

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Looking really nice. What do you use for a paint sealer?
I use Meguiars paint protect, they brand it as a lazy person wax though.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #30
Brighton
Knower of little

More Quarantine Updates

Not particularly exciting but I got the front strut assemblies swapped as well as the sway bar links. Ended up cutting the old sway bar links off because the hold it with an Allen key while loosening with a ratchet process was too tedious.

Also, got to love working on sub-compacts where you have to remove the entire cowl unit just to access 2 bolts.
photo5033271083716946069.jpg
Old 06-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #31
Brighton
Knower of little

Update

Might as well try to make the best of this quarantine by getting caught up on maintenance. To start off, the first issue/reason for doing work is the trans drain plug gasket was seeping a bit of fluid, so I bought 2 magnetic drain plugs to replace the awful OEM hex head bolt. I already replaced the engine oil one with a magnetic Mishimoto plug, but the one I got for the trans (MMODP-1815B) didn't really fit, I wasn't happy with the slight resistance to threading in, so I opted to use the Dorman (090-114CD) one instead.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006 (3).JPG

I also took the opportunity to replace all the coolant hoses, thermostat, and rad cap with the ones shown below. The 22556 was a cut-to-fit and didn't fit worth a crap so don't buy it. The coolant also didn't look terrible for having 109k on it but still worth doing it since I'm past the service interval.
ALSO: Do yourself a favor and DO NOT try to re-use the OEM clamps, just buy new ones. I fought with them for over an hour trying to get them to lock in the open position but ended up cutting off the little ears that was stopping them from opening all the way.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004 (2).JPG
Old 07-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #32
Brighton
Knower of little

End of the World Update

Unfortunately I've been unmotivated to do more with the car during this whole end of the world thing but I finally got around to trying to get rid of the stale food smell that came with the car from the previous owner. I already shampooed the interior but the next step was to remove the seats and do a more thorough job.
photo4915942331060955304.jpg

It might have been a mistake to use a 700+ ft lb impact gun to remove small E10 seat bolts. Ended up snapping off two of the rear seat bolts so I had to unbolt the seat from the rail to get the seats out.
photo4915942331060955303.jpg
Old 07-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #33
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
End of the World Update

Unfortunately I've been unmotivated to do more with the car during this whole end of the world thing but I finally got around to trying to get rid of the stale food smell that came with the car from the previous owner. I already shampooed the interior but the next step was to remove the seats and do a more thorough job.
Attachment 61138

It might have been a mistake to use a 700+ ft lb impact gun to remove small E10 seat bolts. Ended up snapping off two of the rear seat bolts so I had to unbolt the seat from the rail to get the seats out.
Attachment 61139
The interior looks absolutely great! Too bad about the bolts. My best friend in the shop is a penetrant spray product called ReleasAll. Normally, a couple of days before I remove any bolt that's on the outside of the cabin, or prodrudes through the cabin to the atmosphere, I soak many times a day. I have been very lucky and have yet to break a fastener. Actually, I did break one, the retaining bolt for the transmission speed sensor.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #34
Brighton
Knower of little

Gotta Pass Inspection Update

Good New; The stale food smell is pretty much gone and I may have found Subaru seats that will fit the car (more info on this as I find it)

Being that my inspection is due this month, I worked up the motivation to fix the exhaust leak. Which is located in a really common place for exhausts to blow out, right where the hanger weld is in front of the muffler.
photo4936170179621136484.jpg

I bought the aftermarket "exhaust repair pipe" which was clearly copied from a blurry fax of the original design because it doesn't really fit
Aftermarket PITA #1
The bolt holes in the flange don't allow the spring bolt to go through it, so I had to drill them out to work.
photo4936170179621136483.jpg

Aftermarket PITA#2
The section of the stock exhaust that the repair pipe is supposed to attach to is oval, so now I have to squish the original part of the exhaust into a circle so I can weld it nicely (we'll see how that goes later today)
photo4936170179621136482.jpg
Old 07-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #35
Brighton
Knower of little

I'm not going to show the weld because it was hideous. However, I got it sealed and I was able to bend the existing pipe into a circular shape by tightening down a standard exhaust clamp on the "peaks" of the pipe every 1/2in or so, which allowed the old pipe to slip in into the new pipe. Not a pretty fix but functional so good enough.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #36
Brighton
Knower of little

Update

To start off, my car decided it didn't want to have trans fluid in it anymore and in the time it was sitting, most of the fluid drained out so I went to run errands and it wouldn't even drop into gear. Thanks in part to me using a trans pan gasket instead of RTV. The gasket broke around most of the bolt holes and blew out entirely in the rear of the pan. So I installed a new pan (old one had a big dent) and also put in the factory drain plug back in, the longer magnetic plug was interfering with some part in the trans which also made it so I couldn't accurately torque the pan bolts down last time.

So in summary, don't replace the trans drain plug and don't use a gasket for the trans pan, just rtv it with something rated for trans fluid.

[ATTACH]photo5048638867544057980.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo5048638867544057979.jpg (151.7 KB, 27 views)