Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Smile tooter's next manifold adventure...

Ok, tooter's back at it again with another adventure...

This time it's a bolt on intake manifold spacer that will make the manifold runners longer to lower the torque curve.

I installed a stock intake manifold so that I can check out all of the clearances, and it looks great with a generous 3.5 inches of empty space between the front of the manifold and the radiator reservoir.

A 2 inch thick spacer should be perfect with plenty of room to slip the manifold over the longer threaded studs. Plus we already have the tooling to do two inch deep machining. So far it looks like all green lights!

I'll have a prototype spacer made (it'll look similar to this one I produced for Tacoma trucks.)...

It'll be dyno tested just like the manifolds. Then we'll see what the before and after torque curves look like, and go from there.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Mongoose7

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Nice work !!!!!!!!!!!! Waiting for the dyno results.
Mongoose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose7 View Post
Nice work !!!!!!!!!!!! Waiting for the dyno results.
So am I.

They'll be engraved similar to this except it'll be I.V instead of II.VII.

Last edited by tooter; 11-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Very cool!

After towing another Yaris 8 hours from Ohio to CT, I think my 6 cylinder Tacoma could use one as well to shift the torque curve down.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
After towing another Yaris 8 hours from Ohio to CT...
Have you considered talking to a professional about this Yaris "hobby" of yours? =)

Tooter: this seems like it could be a solid mod for the non-boosted SMF AutoX crowd, since low-end torque is lacking so badly from our NA motor.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Very cool!

After towing another Yaris 8 hours from Ohio to CT, I think my 6 cylinder Tacoma could use one as well to shift the torque curve down.
Hey Scott,

Someone else makes one to fit your 1GR FE 4.0 engine...

http://extremetruckperformance.com/?page_id=300

It's one half inch thick because of intake to hood clearance issues. The little 4 banger has an advantage of plenty of room on the side, so I made my spacer four times thicker. This is the prototype I'm currently running on my truck...

Greg

Last edited by tooter; 11-30-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Have you considered talking to a professional about this Yaris "hobby" of yours? =)
Hey Cranky,

Talk about what? I already know an extremely competent professional engineer who produces my concepts, and I already do all of my own testing, marketing, sales, and shipping. I really enjoy the personal autonomy of undiluted control over the complete process from concept to finished product sales and customer service. And I'm dealing with very small easily manageable product quantities because the market is paper thin.

Quote:
Tooter: this seems like it could be a solid mod for the non-boosted SMF AutoX crowd, since low-end torque is lacking so badly from our NA motor.
Well, I don't know that yet. A dyno tested prototype will render the final verdict as to how solid a mod it might turn out to be.

By the way, what's SMF AutoX?

Regards,

Greg
Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
tooter
play every day

Here's a video of the dyno run with the spacer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ofUy8_-6Q
Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think he more meant a professional to help market your products and get your name out there. i feel like there are a lot of guys out there like me. i love power but price point is an issue. i'd love to have the manifold garm sells but have better places for $700 to go. if i could get the results (or close) without the looks (his mani is nice), i would be willing to go that route.

I am eagarly watching this project.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I think he more meant ...
Nope, that was to CTScott. I think he has an addiction to Yarii. =) Tooter has been doing an excellent job of bringing these products to the market, however thin it may be.

SMF = Street Modified FWD in Autocross. I'm not sure how someone would get to SMF with a Yaris without going forced induction (suspension/wheel width/cams?) or dropping in another Toyota engine, but any modifications between the TB and the engine puts you in SMF. At the local level I can almost keep up with the other SMF cars, but any time someone from the National level shows up (in a Civic, normally) it's game over.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I think he more meant a professional to help market your products and get your name out there.
Yikes, beef!
That's the LAST thing I want to do! That would set into motion a set of circumstances I shudder to contemplate, and I don't ever want to go there.

I'm totally satisfied with the present scale of operations just as it is because I'm completely free to express my own vision and to implement my own ideas. I can go from a virtual concept to a finished saleable product in just a couple of months instead of giving up my autonomy and control by diddling away years of haggling around with third parties.

The engineer who does my design and machining does small manageable batches in his spare time, which are in total sync with market demand.

So far, with both the tooter intake manifold, tooter kits, and tooter II.VII spacer I've been able to meet my goal of recovering all of my R&D production and sales costs, and ending up with free products for my own personal use. And I'm totally happy with that. It's an elegantly simple setup that works like a charm. I get all the fun and adventure of creative innovation... but with none of the business and financial headaches.

1. Autonomy The freedom to act independently.
2. Mastery Refining ways to do things better.
3. Purpose The ability to implement my vision.

I'm just not willing to give up any of those.

Greg
Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
if i could get the results (or close) without the looks (his mani is nice), i would be willing to go that route.
Unfortunately, quality doesn't work that way, or I'd be offering a different product. The looks are a result of good workmanship.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Cali, i wasn't knockin your stuff. almost everything on my car came from MI.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Ive seen the TB spacer and those usually produce gains so id be excited to see how this does too. Have you thought of doing a tb as well tooter?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
Ive seen the TB spacer and those usually produce gains so id be excited to see how this does too. Have you thought of doing a tb as well tooter?
No.
Throttle body spacers don't actually do anything except slightly enlarge the air volume of the plenum. The CNC engineer at the design shop told me that once the intake runners are reading infinite (open space) at the entrances where they connect to the plenum, enlarging the plenum makes no difference.

In contrast, lengthening the intake runners themselves does alter the operating properties of the intake manifold by shifting the torque curve lower in the rpm range.

I'm pretty sure that a 2 inch thick Yaris spacer will yield results similar to the 2 inch thick Tacoma spacer as the two intake manifolds are of a similar design. I wanted to do a spacer for the tooter, but it already takes up almost all of the space in front of the engine.

Greg

Last edited by tooter; 11-30-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
No.
Throttle body spacers don't actually do anything except slightly enlarge the air volume of the plenum. The CNC engineer at the design shop told me that once the intake runners are reading infinite (open space) at the entrances where they connect to the plenum, enlarging the plenum makes no difference.

In contrast, lengthening the intake runners themselves does alter the operating properties of the intake manifold by shifting the torque curve lower in the rpm range.
Aah yes, the old Helmholtz resonator. I've always wondered what the plenum side of that equation is, since the only readily available information is about the neck/runner length and volume of the resonating body.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
tooter
play every day

Ok... enough goofing around over the holidays. I'm back in the saddle again.

A couple of nylon blocks for two prototype tooter I.V spacers have been ordered along with the blocks to make more tooter II.VII spacers. They should be in next week.

Greg
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #18
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I think he was talking about CTScott and his (un?)healthy amounts of geekiness surrounding the Yaris.