Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
09 Hatchback Sound Deadening Using Cheap Stuff

Hey all,
Day one of my project is in the books. Took longer than I thought. Hopefully I will be able to stick everything down and get everything back in Sunday so I can go to work on Monday heh.

Observations:
1) Back seat bolts were almost impossible to break free. I broke them free with a cheater bar and my son took them all the way out.
2) There are many more things holding down the carpet than I though. Seat belts, gas cap lever, plastic sides, etc.
3) Had to remove the entire plastic sides and back around the hatch to free up the sides of the hear hatch area.
4) Rear seats have lots o bolts hehe.
5) Dont think I really needed to remove the shift knob as the shifting mechanism stayed behind when I took out the console, heh.
6) The metal under the carpet was surprisingly dirty. Not sure if thats normal or if my car was flooded at one time. I spent a good amount of time with a roll of paper towels and a bottle of windex.

My son taking seats out:

Center Console Out

Carpet Out:

Total gut and cleaned:

Here is the stuff I am using:
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Day two done. All the stuff stuck down and everything back in the car. I must say that it was worth the effort. Its still not as quiet as my wife's outback which I think is very quiet but its very much improved. I wouldn't say "OMG SOOOO QUIET NOW!!!!!!" but it is improved. I think doing the doors and the rear sides helped a lot. Not sure how much covering the floor helped but I'm sure it did a little. Here are some pics after sticking the stuff down:

First did the doors. I didnt notice when I took the picture how much you CAN'T see through the little observation holes. The doors are almost totally coverd on the inside with both peel and seal, and the insulation:

Heres the front floor pans:

Heres the back (you can also see that I did the entire side inside as well through the hole in the side):

Total for the whole project was:
2 Rolls of peel and seal: $32
2 Rolls of adhesive duct insulation: $37
Total: $69+tax
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Thanks

Enjoyed your post. Thank you !
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Thanks, I'd say the outcome of the project is more along the lines of "I'm glad I didn't spend more than $60 or I would have been disappointed". It helped with noise levels, but all I have are my subjective, "old man" ears, and they are telling me it helped a little. heh My doors feel extra heavy now, and they shut with a satisfying "thud" rather than the flimsy sheet metal sound they used to make when shut.