Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Stock Airbox Modification

I did a search for this and nothing came up
hello. I have recently purchased a yaris and have been doing some light work to it this weekend. wile I was doing a shifter kit I removed the upper air box/filter cover. I noticed there was a large filter like obstruction that takes up the entire box. the air box has a filter, so there is no need for this restriction.

-I used a flat head screwdriver to break the plastic rivets and removed the "filter."
-After driving the car, I deduced this is a muffler/air baffle as the engine is much more auditable and sounds good. I also noticed the engine enjoyed the added flow and has a little added pep. I plan to buy an AFE soon, I just thought this is a great "free" mod for a new stock car that i'd let people know about.

this filter is not serviceable. I don't know what the plan is at 100,000 miles when it's all plugged up. I guess if the filter is maintained properly, it should get too dirty, eh? idk, but it doesn't need to be there imo, so I ripped it out.

thanks. I can post pictures, but it's pretty self-explanatory.
Digby
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That is a charcoal filter and is there for purposes of emission control laws. It is not meant to be removed hence the reason it is hard rivoted in place. There are lots of discussion on here centered around this particular filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
SirDigby

funny. I examined it and there is not any charcoal in it. it seems to be weaved fiberglass/nylon product. i'd say it's a baffle/muffler. it seems to idle more smoothly and run better with it removed. i'm getting my emissions test in a week or two. i'll let you know if anything is out of the norm....
Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
SirDigby

I was just looking at it. you're right, there is some little carbon beads or something in there. oh well, we'll see what happens...
Old 09-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Stock Airbox Modification

Without it you will only fail emission test if there is a visual inspection done as part of the test. Tailpipe or OBD emission tests will not fail because it is absent.

Its purpose in life is to prevent fuel vapor from escaping from the engine back out into the environment via the air box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WeeYari; 09-28-2015 at 02:12 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
I took that out on my Tacoma and went to a k&n filter.although it sounded better I gained not 1 bit of mileage or anything.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
SirDigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Without it you will only fail emission test if there is a visual inspection done as part of the test. Tailpipe or OBD emission tests will not fail because it is absent.

Its purpose in life is to prevent fuel vapor from escaping from the engine back out into the environment via the air box.
ok. sounds good. is fuel vapor out the intake an issue? I've never heard of that. sounds like a fire issue.

I've never done an emissions test before, but i'm sure it will "fast pass" or whatever. usually I register my vehicle in a county that has too low of population, but this one is in boulder county which is full of hippies....

Tags
airbox, diy intake, free mod, stock filter, stock intake