Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Brand

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Vehicle Speed Sensor

Hi all,

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster.

Woke up this morning to find my 09 Yaris' speedometer isn't functioning. Tach and odo work, but won't shift out of first now (damnit! Knew I should have kept standard transmission) I can't complain too much. It's been 160,000km without any repairs other than oil and tires.

I have a scangauge, so I know it's P0500 for the code. And a quick online search shows it's a fairly easy repair.

But I can't find anywhere that shows where the vehicle speed sensor is so I can replace it. I also wanted to ask if OEM is important for parts like this, or if there are other options available.

I tried searching the DIY forum, but couldn't find anything either. Thanks in advance for the help!
Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm not sure what year, but after a certain model year they started using the ABS sensors as the speed sensor as far as I know. Check to make sure you don't have a wheel speed sensor that's frozen or disconnected.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If the ABS light is not on, then it is likely the sensor on the tranny that is bad. The sensor is on top of the tranny and has a grey connector.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If the ABS light is not on, then it is likely the sensor on the tranny that is bad. The sensor is on top of the tranny and has a grey connector.
Wasn't sure if the transmission still had the VSS in it or if the speed was solely reliant on the ABS sensors.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Brand

No ABS light on, so sounds like the one on the transmission makes sense.

I've done oil changes, spark plugs, tire rotations before. How difficult of a DIY would this be?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Just want to confirm something first.

You said the odometer is still counting up but the speed indicator isn't moving?

Scott, does the speedo get its signal from the VSS or ABS?

Sent from my iPod Touch
Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Brand

I checked again last night - I was wrong. Odometer doesn't work, either. Tach does work, it (eventually) shifted gears but doesn't seem like it's going into overdrive.

So Speedo/Odo not moving. Tach good.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Ok then it's just as easy as unplugging the sensor on the back of the transmission. It should be on the top over the differential area (where the axles come out).

Make sure the connection is clean and tight first.

If you've tried reconnecting it and it still doesn't work the just clean the area around the sensor and unbolt it. It should then just pull straight out.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Brand

Sounds simple enough - I replace the MAF sensor a while back on my old Echo, so sounds like it would be a similar kind of job.

Problem is I'm fairly unfamiliar with what I unfamiliar with what I'm looking for (and to be honest, when you're talking about differential area where the axels come out, I don't know what that is.)

Any advice on where I could find a diagram to show where to look? I've tried finding youtube videos for a yaris and no luck. Found a number for other vehicles, but the sensor could be in completely different places from what I've read.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I have an Echo too and it's a manual so I can't say for sure its in the same spot but it should be on the top and rear most part of the transmission near the firewall. You'll probably need to remove the air box to get to it.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand View Post
Sounds simple enough - I replace the MAF sensor a while back on my old Echo, so sounds like it would be a similar kind of job.

Problem is I'm fairly unfamiliar with what I unfamiliar with what I'm looking for (and to be honest, when you're talking about differential area where the axels come out, I don't know what that is.)

Any advice on where I could find a diagram to show where to look? I've tried finding youtube videos for a yaris and no luck. Found a number for other vehicles, but the sensor could be in completely different places from what I've read.
It is right on top of the tranny, directly under the battery. It is mounted with a single 10mm head bolt and it looks like this:

Old 01-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Brand

So I think I've found it. Was fun figuring out how to get the air box off, but got it off without breaking anything. (Thanks for not laughing )

But I'm not sure I'm at the right place. Would it be the one attached to these grey connectors?

Or am I too far to the front of the car?
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
Brand

Pretty sure those aren't the right ones from the description.

Trying to get under the battery - have the bolts out from the battery platform, but I can't get it out because the cables are stuck to the vertical metal piece that helps hold the battery in place.

So close, but so far! Any advice on how to get the battery housing out?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Brand

Found it! (not in the same place as the 07... sigh.)

Got the bolt off and the bastard is stuck...
Old 01-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
There's a rubber o-ring that seals it in place. You may have to gently wiggle it while pulling to get it out.

Here's what it looks like on the inside:
Attached Images

CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
Brand

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and advice. After not being able to get the damn sensor out to test, I was forced to bring it into a shop. But the story isn't all bad.

Sensor itself was working. Looks like it was one of the wires in the connector to the sensor that needed to be fixed. $250 cost, which is still FAR less than just the cost of a new sensor ($300 min through a parts shop. From Toyota? $475. LOL)

While there, they mentioned the serp belt was really cracked. It's been whining at me and the car has 165,000 km, so was due to replace anyway.

May be interested in trying some preventive maintenance myself once winter goes away. I've done oil changes, tire swaps, spark plugs, air filter changes. And now found a PITA VSS. Anyone have suggestions on other jobs to try out?

I haven't yet replaced my transmission fluid. I hear conflicting reports on whether it's "lifetime" or should be replaced. After 165,000km any advice on this one?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #17
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand View Post
I haven't yet replaced my transmission fluid. I hear conflicting reports on whether it's "lifetime" or should be replaced. After 165,000km any advice on this one?
Go with what's in the owner's manual.

And HOLY SMOKES that's a pricy sensor!