Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
Bridge the connections on a Headunit?

hey just a quick question. ive ordered a 3dr hatch (Liftback as u guys call it) now i was wondering... if i say disconnected the rear speakers of the car, replaced the front ones with something decent... is there a way of using the 4 connections and bridging them to make 2 to run the front 2 with some decent power?

thanks

ps. cant wait for my car!!

edit: this is the factory HU btw :)
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
SiliconRane
Dr. Trunk Monkey

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris
Head Unit Pushes like 4 Watts . . . I would not recommend doing this because the head units internal Amp is not designed to be bridged and you will more than likely hurt your HU badly, But if you want to . . . let me know how fast it starts to smoke
SiliconRane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
4w! how useless...

so now im thinking bugger the rear speakers and getting a 2 channel amp and 2 good front speakers..

so I'll have my HP Ipaq Rx5965 for GPS and music (1.5gig onboard and 2 on storage card (enough for me :D)) thatll run to the HU thru aux and then hu to amp to speakers...

that sound reasonable or am i missing something
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
you will smoke the radio! Dont do that.....
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
SiliconRane
Dr. Trunk Monkey

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteraal View Post
4w! how useless...

so now im thinking bugger the rear speakers and getting a 2 channel amp and 2 good front speakers..

so I'll have my HP Ipaq Rx5965 for GPS and music (1.5gig onboard and 2 on storage card (enough for me :D)) thatll run to the HU thru aux and then hu to amp to speakers...

that sound reasonable or am i missing something
If you pull the speakers out of the car you will notice that the magnets on them are about the size of a Half Dollar Coin, they are super efficient and don't require a lot of current to push. Hence the Low Wattage of the HU's internal AMP. If you are planning on amplifying the HU with some after market speakers and amp, i would suggest using a Line Out Converter with a 2 or 4 channel amp and some decent speakers. The car doesn't sound good with only the front speakers running . . . Good Luck and lemme know if you need anything else . .

PS - Suggestion for speakers \ amp combo:
Good Speakers
Cheap yet good Sounding Speakers
Both Sets of speakers come with adapter rings that allow seamless installation for front and rear.
Amp i Recommend - Good Quality Digital Amp. Does NOT require a CAP for this car due to high effececyness . . .

Good Luck
SiliconRane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteraal View Post
Good idea. Rear speakers aren't desirable except for surround, or rear-seat passengers anyway.

You could also keep running the stock rear speakers off the deck, but faded more to the front.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Bridging requires one of the channel pairs to be phase inverted, so the short and definitive answer for the OEM source unit is no.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote