Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
attickt

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris S/JDM Vitz
p0705 code

ok there isnt much on here or any other forum, or seemingly anywhere on any database....and there is ONE thread referring to this code.

my car started acting up sunday night 01/20/13 after i had done an oil change on Saturday, put a full tank of gas in, and got a car wash on saturday. sunday night around 8pm i was leaving my dad's it was about 25 degrees out, i started my car....and it stalled out ( i drive an automatic....that a long story) confused i thought maybe i had forgotten to turn her on.... but recalled turning her on..... i then heard a high pitch humming like an electric motor and she started to rise and drop in rpms and bog out....my dash losed light.... so u put her in drive thinking maybe it was a battery issue.... everything worked fine....i made it 45 miles home....

this morning she started fluctuating in rpms but settled down... i made it to work... after work i headed to my friends house to use his obd2 scanner.... i made it 40 mins down the road went from 60mph to 15 mph my car could not locate drive, reverse, neutral 3rd or 2nd gear....just low... i had to pull over and my friend brought the scanner to me... it read P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)

which could be a number of electrical issue with the trans.... i was told it was a Farley easy fix but cant find any pictures information, tips diy's i cant even find the part!! and im really not looking forward to being shafted by toyota for something i may be able to fix my self....im not even 100% sure where to locate the part on my car...any help would be appreciated.... ive been reading nothing but repeat information just telling me what the code means....i know what the code means.... i dont know what needs to be done to fix it or any information and or parts....

yaris+induction= baby supra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i can just hear the rednecks behind me grumbling "g-damn fag car" before they pass me.
attickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
If i recall correctly this issue would require 2 driving cycles to actually throw a CEL.

What happened when you cleared the code?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The switch in question is on the transmission (see the grey connector circled below). Does the cluster show the correct position of the shifter (RPND2L) as you move the shifter around?

AT Conn C27.jpg
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
attickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The switch in question is on the transmission (see the grey connector circled below). Does the cluster show the correct position of the shifter (RPND2L) as you move the shifter around?

Attachment 49608
yes it does show the correct gear

Quote:
i can just hear the rednecks behind me grumbling "g-damn fag car" before they pass me.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by attickt View Post
yes it does show the correct gear
So, in that case you need to get at either the grey connector on the transmission, or the larger connector on the ECM to see if multiple switches are on when the gear selector is in each position.

For the heck of it, also check the 10A GAUGE fuse in the under dash fuse panel, as it feeds the switch to provide the indication to the ECM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
attickt

we checked the grey connector highlighted, wiggled the cord at both connection points threw the gears and nothing happened it didnt even flicker on the gear indication screen on the HUD......so i dont suspect it to be that cord....when you wiggle the gear selector it seems to locate the gears, maybe a little off of where they should be but locates them and operates normally.....i am suspecting a bad contact within the gear selector inside the car itself.... could that be plausible ?

Quote:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by attickt View Post
we checked the grey connector highlighted, wiggled the cord at both connection points threw the gears and nothing happened it didnt even flicker on the gear indication screen on the HUD......so i dont suspect it to be that cord....when you wiggle the gear selector it seems to locate the gears, maybe a little off of where they should be but locates them and operates normally.....i am suspecting a bad contact within the gear selector inside the car itself.... could that be plausible ?
The code indicates that either one of the switches is not closing when changing shifter position (which would be visible by the cluster not changing) or that a switch is sticking, where two switches would be closed at the same time (I am not sure if you would see a sign of this on the cluster, or if it would just assume that the first one closed is the correct position).

The service manual indicates checking continuity on each of the switches (via the grey connector) with the shifter in each position.

The gear selector inside only moves the cable - It does not feed the selector position electrically, the tranny switch does that.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
attickt

Hmm we'll after wiggling the grey and black connectors then pushing both firmly in place we test drove my car and everything was normal we followed a few tests we found in the mechanics repair manual for the yaris. I drove her 25 miles home everything a.o.k so I think we fixed the issue at least for now we cleared the data on the scanner and re tested the car befor I left everything came up normal with no codes perhaps that high pressure car wash knocked a connector loose or somthing when it did the under carrage spray idk

Quote: