Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Remote starter recommendation and questions

I am just ordered a remote starter for a 2009 pontiac vibe. I know this is the wrong forum but my questions aren't really specific to the vibe. The vibe is a 5 speed base model with manual locks. The starter I bought is a viper 4606V and the manual is found here:

https://www.directeddealers.com/manu...-06%20web2.pdf

My question is what happens if I connect to the remote start function to the car and nothing else? Will the remote starter work and not care that the vibe doesn't have power locks?

Also does anyone have experience using a viper with a manual transmission? Reading the manual it appears that the driver can just shut the car off normally when they do not want to use the starter the next drive. I'm hoping that the driver won't have to go through the procedure every time to shut the car off. I think this is how the viper works, but I can't be sure.
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
you only need to initiate the procedure if you want to use the remote starter. Else, it won't work. the reason for that on a manual car is to make sure you leave the car on neutral, so you won't kill a little kid when you hit the remote starter.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
you only need to initiate the procedure if you want to use the remote starter. Else, it won't work. the reason for that on a manual car is to make sure you leave the car on neutral, so you won't kill a little kid when you hit the remote starter.
I remember being in a 5 speed Saturn once and it would only shut off when the driver's door was opened and closed. I'm glad to hear it will turn off normally otherwise.

Any clue about not connecting the other functionality of the module?
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
If you want to use the starter function, you normally need to initiate the sequence and open/close the door before the engine shuts off. I believe you break the sequence if you open the door again.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to plug in any other functionality if you don't want/need them, even if the system provides them.