Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #37
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
SWAY BAR

dammit people. you just do not comprehend, do you ?

it is CHEAP and it will WORK for 80% of the skittishness.

only then, if you do not like the results, (and you will), try to tweak other stuff.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #38
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
I vote sway bar too, but second only to 3 fat chicks.

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #39
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Maybe thats why they call em, SWAY BARS. *RIM SHOT* Thank you folks, I'll be here tonight.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #40
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Smaller tires-less wide tires whatever you want to call them can wander more frequently due to the type of road surface---it happens with motorcycles alot.Also, the speed your traveling makes a difference/contact patch.In SW Ohio a couple of years back,the office jockeys upstate decided to use a different material/paving method...OMG,what a disaster.This "method"---thats all I know to refer to it as---seems to have tiny grooves(micro) incorporated in it----talk about sway or wander.On four wheels it's bad enough,but, on two wheels it's !!!!!!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #41
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
I constantly change lanes so wander isn't a problem

Seriously though, maybe my car is unusual but I don't seem to have any issues with wander unless the road has noticeable ruts.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #42
Snubba
snubby wubba

Drives: '09 silver 5-door
Its time to rise this thread from death. "Old thread, heed me, ARISE!"

OK, I just got my car aligned. The rear was a tad out of spec. The shop did all 4 wheels. They used EZ-Shims in the back. So before, I had a rear thrust angle of 0.24, now its 0.08. They gave me 0.28deg toe-in rear and 0.14deg toe-in front which is pretty close to factory specs. They have a nice alignment system. I haven't noticed any difference except maybe its more twitchy above 70mph and that could be due to the increased toe-in the front (changed from 0.07 to 0.14deg). I took out the EPS fuse and steering still feels disconnected at 55mph. Its no fun for cruising.

So I delved into the problem and found that EPS uses a torsion bar in the steering column to sense steering effort. So basically, Yarii are driving down the road with a torsion spring between your wheel and the road!

I made a whole post about it found here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #43
g.q.vios
jqueza@microimage

Drives: 2010 vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubba View Post
Its time to rise this thread from death. "Old thread, heed me, ARISE!"

OK, I just got my car aligned. The rear was a tad out of spec. The shop did all 4 wheels. They used EZ-Shims in the back. So before, I had a rear thrust angle of 0.24, now its 0.08. They gave me 0.28deg toe-in rear and 0.14deg toe-in front which is pretty close to factory specs. They have a nice alignment system. I haven't noticed any difference except maybe its more twitchy above 70mph and that could be due to the increased toe-in the front (changed from 0.07 to 0.14deg). I took out the EPS fuse and steering still feels disconnected at 55mph. Its no fun for cruising.

So I delved into the problem and found that EPS uses a torsion bar in the steering column to sense steering effort. So basically, Yarii are driving down the road with a torsion spring between your wheel and the road!

I made a whole post about it found here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719
i lowered my ride and im going to add sway bar the lowering helped on in rims wheels....sedan 10
g.q.vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #44
RikBakke

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Dr LB
TRD rear sway bar, baby. First part I ordered after I got delivery on the 2010 hatch. The sway bar makes a world of difference on the highway wandering. The red is a sorta close match to the Yaris Absolutely Red, too.
RikBakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #45
Snubba
snubby wubba

I have a TRD sway bar too. It made the car more stable in corners and is great for the handling. I like how its red and can be seen from behind and even through the spaces between my rim spokes. Its even easy to install and not very expensive for how much it improves the handling.

I think my wandering problem is confused with another kind of wander when there are grooves in the road and the tires follow them. The wandering I'm talking about is when you are cruising along a straight, flat, highway. When you make fine corrections, very minute ones, to keep the car straight, its difficult because at that sensitivity, the twisting springyness of the steering shaft muddles the corrections I'm trying to make. I'm pretty sure if I move the wheel a little (a tiny bit) it will twist the spring and if I wait a while without moving the steering wheel it will correct itself as the spring slowly untwists.

This is due to lack of steering feedback and a springy steering shaft. If I do the same steering corrections on my Crown Vic it is easy and immediate.

I don't know what to call the wander because I am WANDERing down the road. Maybe I should refer to it as "minute steering correction induced wander." ? Or just lack of feedback. Numb road feel. Disconnected.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #46
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
how about electro car symptons? when your controls are connected to electrons and not machines.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #47
Snubba
snubby wubba

Electro cars are the precursor to cyborg cars.