Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Over40

Drives: SilverYaris
Turbo Charged Normal Engine Temp.

Hi you all,

I feel that turbocharged engines have higher temperature compared to N/A. Is this true?

Mine's felt hotter after installing the turbo. Even on easy daily driving conditions.

Would an effort to lower this heat (i.e. by installing an oil cooler, extra fans) have a benefit in increasing performance?

Appreciate your opinions and pointers.

tks.
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Increasing performance... NO

Increasing the life of the engine... YES

First you should install some temp gauges (oil , water) to determine how hot are you really running...
An oil cooler would be a nice addition for your turbo set up.

Radiator and stock fan on the Yaris are quite capable... unless you are tracking your car, they should hold up.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Engine temp won't affect power, I think - but the temp of incoming air/fuel will. Might affect longevity though.

Do you have a water temp gauge installed? These little motors run pretty hot anyway. An oil cooler is an excellent mod to add to your car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ haha, we were both typing the same stuff at the same time...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
actually, engine temp does affect power

i've not seen any overly-hot temps in either my oil or water temp gauges.. yes it's warmer but not THAT much warmer

(i have a twin cooled turbo, i actually run the coolant for the turbo THROUGH the heater core so this may be why my car stays cool)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Over40

CASTREX & CALI YARIS: OK, I'll install Temp gauges first to determine how hot.

I agree with CASTREX on proper cooling prolongs engine life.

BTW, why do we need both Oil & Water temps ... wouldn't either one represent the condition of the engine itself. I'd hate to clutter my A-pillar with to many meters.

Tamago: twin cooled turbo ... interesting? Do you have the thread showing the application?

O yes guys, oil cooler is already installed.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated ... I'll update after gauges are installed.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over40 View Post
Tamago: twin cooled turbo ... interesting? Do you have the thread showing the application?
almost all OE turbo applications are twin (oil and water) cooled

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...943&highlight=
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
CASTREX & CALI YARIS: OK, I'll install Temp gauges first to determine how hot.

I agree with CASTREX on proper cooling prolongs engine life.

BTW, why do we need both Oil & Water temps ... wouldn't either one represent the condition of the engine itself. I'd hate to clutter my A-pillar with to many meters.

O yes guys, oil cooler is already installed.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated ... I'll update after gauges are installed.
you could get a gauge display like this..

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

that would cut down on clutter

oh and i installed my water temp sensor at the radiator outlet, not at the point the water comes out of the block..

my rationalization is, there's already an OE sensor at the outlet, why not keep an eye on how hot the water is going back IN to the engine?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Hi you all,

I feel that turbocharged engines have higher temperature compared to N/A. Is this true?

Mine's felt hotter after installing the turbo. Even on easy daily driving conditions.

Would an effort to lower this heat (i.e. by installing an oil cooler, extra fans) have a benefit in increasing performance?

Appreciate your opinions and pointers.

tks.
In theory Turbos can really reach high temps. There are many things to consider like the:

- turbo position (if its at the front and moving at 80km/h it will recieve a good amount of airflow, if its at the back, air is mainly restricted by the engine itself)

- if turbo is water cooled

- model & tech of turbo (Consider the smaller the turbo is, the more is activated with lower revs)

- Engine capacity (Consider temp of engine + turbo temp + ambient temp = total temp)

There are things one can do to reduce temps:

- Bigger radiator combined with a well branded water coolant
- Oil cooler with dual circuit to cool the engine and turbo in a separate link
- Consider upgrading hood and front bumper with vents appropriate for your setup
- Upgrade of water and oil pump for better flow

Altough some seems extreme I am quite more relief to have an engine with stable temperature which can cause future problems. Also agree with caliyaris about the gauges, a must to have oil and water temp at least.

Cheers!
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
Over40

to Parmas: your suggestions are appreciated.

At the moment I am installing an oil temp gauge, and I am constructing an hood air scoop to vent the turbo (the turbo manifold is behind the engine block)

My assumption of getting temp lower comes from my experience, that on hot afternoons, I can only run my car max of 180kph, but on cool nights, I can get it to 200kph (same road...). Aside from other aspects (cooler air) and engine lifetime, I just want to assure that cooler engine provides better power.