Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #19
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
and I have worked at a couple shops and new at a parts store and you would not believe how many fuel pumps we sell, first question I ask is "do you run it below a 1/4 tank often?" 99.99999% of the time they say yes

you must of had that one hardy fuel pump that was like the lil engine that could... I think I can, I think I can... choogga... choogga... CHOOO CHOOOOO
i hear what everyone is saying, but i'm having trouble really believeing it. all my family drives til the gas light comes on. my mom,dad,sister,aunt, grandmother, all of them. as far as i know, no one has ever had a probelm with the fuel pump. and they all had their cars for at least two years. then again, none of them have toyotas. i'm the first. so, i ask again, is this mainly a toyota problem?
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #20
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I normaly gas up before "O Shit" light, but tried out my new 07 LB just for personal satisfaction. When the lights started to blink I burned 9.3 gallons. So, if the 11.1 capacity is correct I still had a little bit to go.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #21
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I think it's most important to not let the fuel ever run out completley. I don't know if it's true for the Yaris, but many fuel pumps, especially diesels, use the fuel as a lubricant, and when you run out you are running a pump without lube. I've never heard the fill up a 1/4 tank thing, and I've never had to replace a fuel pump. I think that's more of a safety issue recommendation; don't want people running out of gas on busy streets.

Back on topic, my blinking light works great. It starts off relatively slow and steadily increases to a rapid blink. The most fuel I've ever put in after the rapid blink was 10.68 gallons. It holds 11.2 so I got pretty close to empty. That was 27 miles past the beginning of the blink.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
NimbleYarisOwner
Yaris my baby

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2007
Low fuel light

I have a 2007 yaris M5.

Concerning the fuel level display:
I know that the last square starts to flash when you reach it on the elctronic fuel level display.

But does the gas tank light up when you are real low?

I looked in the manual but it doesn't specify.

thanks!
NimbleYarisOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #23
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleYarisOwner View Post
I have a 2007 yaris M5.

Concerning the fuel level display:
I know that the last square starts to flash when you reach it on the elctronic fuel level display.

I looked in the manual but it doesn't specify.

thanks!
'Light up'? You mean blow up LOL? Do you mean is there a gas pump icon that appears? No. That one rapidly flashing light is all the warning you get.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
NimbleYarisOwner
Yaris my baby

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2007
Yep i meant gas pump icon lighting up,blinking ,etc
Glad u got a laugh out of it though.
NimbleYarisOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Yep i meant gas pump icon lighting up,blinking ,etc
Glad u got a laugh out of it though.
I dont take too much on here seriously. Its good therapy. Another newbie thats wound too tight.

By the way when did Toyota start making M5s?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #26
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
if u read that little book that came with your new car it would inform you that the last bar in fuel level display starts blinking slowly at 1st and speeds up the blinking the lower your fuel level gets..
SOO when it's blinking like a Cop on yer ass for speeding, your about to run out of fuel ... also bad things can happen if you run out of fuel , some of which are not what is talked about below

NOW here's the rub , You should NEVER ! & i do mean Never ! let your fuel level get to the point of blinking ..

WHY you ask ?

the fuel pump is electric & is located in the bottom of your fuel tank . The fuel in the tank keeps the motor & pump assy. COOL as in not overheating while in a bath of cold fuel , when real low on fuel this exposes the fuel pump to air & air don't dissipate heat very well inside a closed fuel tank

If your one of those types that let's it run all the way down to a flashing bar, "I ani't got the time right now to fuel" on every tank of fuel . then a replacing the fuel pump assy chore is in yer future

AND it's NOT CHEAP to replace it , as the pump assy is very expensive & the labor is even more (they have to drain & pull the fuel tank off to get the pump out ) not to mention the tow bill

Soo to all you BUZI people out there in YARI land , who don't have the time to fuel when you got 2 bars on the fuel display , all that fuel & money yer saving getting out of your Yari at 40mpg is going to the guys replacing the fuel pump .. been there, done that , didn't even get the TeeShirt from the service dept.

the tow truck driver asked me if i let run down all the time , i say yes, he laffs & looks out the window

the service dept. manager asks the same question ,he just nods when i say
yes
I finally ask why do i keep getting asked the same question about low fuel when i picked up the car .. this was after the mind numbing shock of the HIGH service bill !

Warranty HAH ! not if you say yes to the above question , as they call it abuse
I'm L O L now but it was not Funny at the time !!!
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #27
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Actually, if you take a glance under your car right before you fill up, your tank will have a slight luminescence to it...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Quote:
Warranty HAH ! not if you say yes to the above question , as they call it abuse
I'm L O L now but it was not Funny at the time !!!
why oh why did you tell them that you always let your car run on fumes? I applaud you for being honest... but I'm sure you paid around $1000 at the stealership.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #29
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeteyjtx View Post
why oh why did you tell them that you always let your car run on fumes? I applaud you for being honest... but I'm sure you paid around $1000 at the stealership.
i'm only STUPID once ! had the towtruck driver told me what he was laffin' at then i ' d been wise to it ..

but then agin if i was in his shoes i'd done the same ,he makes money off stupid people doing stupid things .. Ya don't educate yer money makers
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #30
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
i try to fill up the tank when i'm at 2 bars.. only once did I do so at one bar. since i'm so good about fillin' up, my car hasn't glowed yet

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #31
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
well u learn something new everyday! good thing i havent gotten my yaris yet so its not too late :D hehe
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #32
MarkBen

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Met. Meteorite
Sweet Christ... I've only had 6 fill ups so far on my Yaris, and all but once went down to the blinking bar. Glad I read this post, as that will never happen again...
MarkBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #33
RTW YARIS

Drives: 4x4 EGG
blah...I just recently put gas in my Yaris for the first time. I let it get down to the blinking bar...then the blinking bar started blinking FASTER. so i was like ok NOW ill get some gas. so when I went to fill it up, it only put in 10 gallons meaning I still had a good gallon or so still left in the tank! I was pissed because I could have kept going lol. Im wondering if you let it go far enough if the blinking bar will just disappear entirely. Ill try to test this at the end of this tank :P And Im not worried about the stupid pump failing.
'07 Yaris LB
RTW YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #34
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
this was a repost..... so I was kind enough to merg the post so you do not have to click any links or day any searches to see what ppl had to say about this subject b4
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #35
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

You give so much to us everyday Black Yaris. We are grateful.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #36
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
this was a repost..... so I was kind enough to merg the post so you do not have to click any links or day any searches to see what ppl had to say about this subject b4
Wow, you didn't lock it?