Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Transmission filter?

Hi all, Just thought I'd ask if any of you have had your Auto trans filter out? If so, is it a filter or a screen? Can it be cleaned or is it one time use?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Filter, not a screen. See my very recent post elsewhere in this forum, and many others' comments too. Use the correct fluid!
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Filter, not a screen. See my very recent post elsewhere in this forum, and many others' comments too. Use the correct fluid!
I tossed my oem filter last year when I changed it out. I only asked about it because I'm about to do the change for a friend, and she found a post somewhere about the filter being a screen that could be cleaned.

I never gave mine a close look. It's odd that Toyota charges $85. for the filter, but the WIX I installed in mine about a year back cost me $11. from rockauto.com.

I'm glad to hear I did not toss a cleanable OEM filter/screen.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Make sure your "filter kit" (filter, o-ring, gasket), comes with a cork gasket not a rubber one.

Mine came with a rubber gasket. Cork is better in this application.

I did a drain & fill 1st. Then drove it for a few hundred miles, another drain, replace filter, and fill.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
UberSilver

I'll bite, why not the rubber gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
Make sure your "filter kit" (filter, o-ring, gasket), comes with a cork gasket not a rubber one.

Mine came with a rubber gasket. Cork is better in this application.

I did a drain & fill 1st. Then drove it for a few hundred miles, another drain, replace filter, and fill.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
I'll bite, why not the rubber gasket?
Compresses too much. No feel for how tight the bolts are. Using a torque wrench I still ended up breaking one bolt. Bad bolt or crappy torque wrench.. Dunno. PITA though.

Your supposed to re-tighten / re-torque all the bolts after everything heats up with rubber. Not necessary with cork.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
Compresses too much. No feel for how tight the bolts are. Using a torque wrench I still ended up breaking one bolt. Bad bolt or crappy torque wrench.. Dunno. PITA though.

Your supposed to re-tighten / re-torque all the bolts after everything heats up with rubber. Not necessary with cork.
Thanks for the warning!

The rubber on mine has been good for the last year. I did use Toyota Black caulk on the pan side, and Low Strength Loctite 222 on the bolts.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Changed out my auto filter last night and a lot messier then I was expecting. I used a Beck Arnley and it came with a rubber gasket.

So far so good. But I would have preferred cork also for the gasket.

I paid $17 for the kit, and I decided to give the dealership a call and see what they would have charged for the filter and gasket.. I was shocked!.. $145 for the filter, and $25 for the gasket.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote