Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
touroxin

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5M Blazing Blue HB
How are you guys jacking up your Yaris?

The goal is to jack my Yaris up so I can rotate all four tires at once.

I have four 3-ton jack stands, Harbor Freight Model 38846
One 2-ton low profile racing jack, Harbor Freight Model 92782
The jack stands minimum height in 11-3/4 inches
The max lifting range of the jack is 18-1/4 inches
and a 2008 Yaris.

The problem is that when I jack up the car from the rear I can not get the driver's side of the car high enough to place my jack stand. I can on the passenger side if I take off my protective rubber pad, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to. As you probably know, the rear jack point is off center that is why the passenger side is higher than the driver's side.

What are you guys using to jack up your Yaris?
I have not even tried jacking up the front of the car. I think I know where the jack point is from looking at the 2007 service manual, but I'm not sure exactly where the front jack point is.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
- Touroxin
touroxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
I use the center front jacking point to get the front end up, then I jack up the back just forward of the rear-sidesill jacking points on each side. There is very little weight in the rear of the car(at least in my HB) so the wear and tear on the side sill is very low.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by touroxin View Post
The goal is to jack my Yaris up so I can rotate all four tires at once.

I have four 3-ton jack stands, Harbor Freight Model 38846
One 2-ton low profile racing jack, Harbor Freight Model 92782
The jack stands minimum height in 11-3/4 inches
The max lifting range of the jack is 18-1/4 inches
and a 2008 Yaris.

The problem is that when I jack up the car from the rear I can not get the driver's side of the car high enough to place my jack stand. I can on the passenger side if I take off my protective rubber pad, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to. As you probably know, the rear jack point is off center that is why the passenger side is higher than the driver's side.

What are you guys using to jack up your Yaris?
I have not even tried jacking up the front of the car. I think I know where the jack point is from looking at the 2007 service manual, but I'm not sure exactly where the front jack point is.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
- Touroxin
I jack up the back of my Yaris and put a jack stand on each side. Then I jack up one of the front sides, do a tire change. Then I jack up the other front side and do another change. So LF goes to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, and RR to LF. Takes about 10 minutes to do the whole job.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
So LF goes to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, and RR to LF. Takes about 10 minutes to do the whole job.
Correct me if I am wrong but dosen't the Owners Maunal suggest LF to LR, LR to LF, RF to RR and RR to RF. Using this method I only have to jack up one side of the car at a time.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but dosen't the Owners Maunal suggest LF to LR, LR to LF, RF to RR and RR to RF. Using this method I only have to jack up one side of the car at a time.
This is one of those questions there is no right answer to unless you have unidirectional tire tread or a staggered setup. Some people never rotate their tires and have no issues.

Since my tires are bidirectional and not staggered on the Yaris I like to go FL to BL and FR to BR, but there is no wrong answer. All you are doing by rotating is hoping to wear the tires more evenly so you can replace all 4 tires at once instead of replacing the front tires first in FWD and the rear tires first in RWD and then having a mixed setup with 2 new tires and 2 old ones.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
b_hickman11

Quote:
No it doesnt.....The way you mentioned is for rear wheel drive vehicles, which are usually trucks. The way I mentioned is what is recommended by the tire manual for front wheel drive vehicles like the Yaris.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
My Papa says it is not good to rotate tires so - now I have one less thing to forget about. Some thing about the " carcass set"
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

My brother says WHAT IS THIS "carcass set"?
is that The Dead Girl's Boobs?

sick boy
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
touroxin

jkuchta I think you are right. I was thinking about this last night.

If I jack up the front of the car first I should be able to get the jack stands in place.
I should then be able to jack up the back of the car high enough to put the second set of jack stands in place.
I'll find out on Saturday!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I always rotate my tires back to front as the fronts wear faster.
I would never jack up all four corners of a unibody car.
Even though the car is light,stressing the whole unibody is not something I'm willing to attempt.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
touroxin

I do plan on rotating my tires as per my 2008 US manual that reads "back to front" so you are right floydisrock, I only need to jack up one side at a time.

After I prove to myself that one can jack the car up and set it on four jack stands, I'll probably only jack up one side at a time!
Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
nemelek
DWEED

Quote:
No it doesnt.....The way you mentioned is for rear wheel drive vehicles, which are usually trucks. The way I mentioned is what is recommended by the tire manual for front wheel drive vehicles like the Yaris.
Page 252 of my 2008 Yaris Hatchback Owners Manual has a rotation diagram of what I stated previously. Maybe the sedan's manual shows a different rotation pattern. On my old 88 Toyota 4X4 and 04 Dodge Ram 4X4 the rotation suggests crossing the left and right sides.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
hmmm He's correct according to my 08 liftback manual.

just rotat front to rear, and rear to front.

I did rotations at 5k, then 9k, and am now at 18k and have skipped the last two rotations because tread wear is so similar it makes no difference. I actually still have slightly more tread on my fronts than rears. Go figure.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
b_hickman11

Quote:
Page 252 of my 2008 Yaris Hatchback Owners Manual has a rotation diagram of what I stated previously. Maybe the sedan's manual shows a different rotation pattern. On my old 88 Toyota 4X4 and 04 Dodge Ram 4X4 the rotation suggests crossing the left and right sides.
Toyota makes cars and Bridgestone makes tires. Dont follow Toyota's manual. You need to look at your tire manual. It says "Tire Maintenance, Safety and Warranty Manual" on the front of it. Refer to page 6. I am attaching a copy of this page but it might not work......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TIRE.pdf (559.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #15
touroxin

Guys, it all comes down to the tread. If you have a tread pattern that requires that the tire rotate in a certain direction you then have to do back to front.

Can someone post a good picture of what the front jack point looks like?
I think I know where the jack point is from looking at the 2007 service manual, but I'm not sure exactly where the front jack point is.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
nemelek
DWEED

Quote:
Toyota makes cars and Bridgestone makes tires. Dont follow Toyota's manual. You need to look at your tire manual. It says "Tire Maintenance, Safety and Warranty Manual" on the front of it. Refer to page 6. I am attaching a copy of this page but it might not work......
Thanks for proving my point!

On page 6 of the Bridgestone Tire Safety and Warranty Manual it clearly states "For maximum mileage, rotate your tires according to the vehicle manufacture's recommendations (consult your vehicle owner's manual)."

I'll use the Bridgestone's recommendation to use the Yaris Owner's Manual guidelines on tire rotation. This will save me time and effort by only having to jack up one side of the car at a time.

In the long run, it probably doesn't matter which rotation pattern is used. What matters is that it is done in a timely and consistant manor.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Good luck in getting miles out of the Bridgestones. I look at mine and they are worn out at 15 thousand miles. I dont kniow how bad the guy drive befor me - he was old guy so I think not too badly. My Papa said you could delaminate the cap if you rortate back to front on a car that has big diffrence in "camber" betwixt axles fore and aft. This is well known in racing circles.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
b_hickman11

Same here. I rotated mine every 5000 miles and they were bald at 25,000. And I drive like a grandpa. Too bad the mileage warranty is void on our cars....