Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Any unexpectedly high maintenance expenses?

I'm finally getting ready to buy, and I just thought I'd ask if anyone has run into any unexpectedly high service/maintenance items.

After all, one of the main reasons to buy a Yaris is that it should be cheap to run and maintain, right?

I'm planning on doing things like oil changes myself (keeping receipts of course). I saw the Toyota DIY website (http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pa...rvice/diy.html) which bodes well for me -- I prefer to do things myself if possible.

Any other tips appreciated.
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i'm over 40,000 miles, the only expense so far has been oil changes, and I finally got my first set of replacement tires. I was planning on going another 10,000 miles on the tires, but the parents wanted to give me some rubber for a christmas present. Can't beat free, so I took them up on it.

I had an axle seal issue at 13,000 miles... totally my fault, hit a 4-6" deep ditch at about 40mph on a dirt logging road while camping. Was fixed free of charge, and the dealership even noticed the problem before I had a chance to notice it (was getting the oil changed the day after I returned from camping).

If you are buying new, you can expect a great car... if buying used... pay to have it taken to a mechanic... and expect the mechanic to say its in great shape.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
i've got about 27,000 on mine and i have yet to have a problem. my check engine light went on once and then went back off by itself a while later, i had to plug a tire because i drove over a nail, and i spend money to change my own oil (i want synthetic in it instead of whatever the oil change place puts in there), and that's about it for me. the oil change is super easy too... although i would recommend buying one of those small strap filter wrenches to get the oil filter off (it's on tight).

like taln said, expect a great car... i love mine more than i thought i would so far
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
37k mi no expenses except gas and oil and filters
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I've got 71k mi and not a single problem so far.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
40oz

Drives: 240sx want a yaris
My GOD, hearing this makes me want to get a yaris quiick. Too bad I gotta wait 1-2 years untill I transfer into a good university. Just saving my money now. I just hope the newer model yaris are going to be just as good as the old ones.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
yeh mate i am at 50,000 km and i had an axle back muffler seal brake at 25,000 was fixed free only cost $5 any way--> go get one my only comment is i got the 1.3 and wish i got the 1.5 there is a difference mate other then that get into it
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
My GOD, hearing this makes me want to get a yaris quiick. Too bad I gotta wait 1-2 years untill I transfer into a good university. Just saving my money now. I just hope the newer model yaris are going to be just as good as the old ones.
What year is your 240. I used to have a 92 back in the day. I think when i got it this was maybe 99 so it was only 7 years old at the time. Still new to the scene and not really too much aftermarket parts available as they are now. I had it lowered on eibachs, with cusco front and rear swaybars and strut bar. Car did handle insanely well. But my yaris tuned as it is now i believe outhandled my 240. Its almost as fun to drive as my 240 too. I do miss the power the 240 had and the ability to drift on turns in the rain but jsut a easy tap of the gas. But still the yaris is a real fun car to drive for what it is. I think the power assist steering helps attribute to that. Its simular to the power assist of the 240. It lets you feel the road more. I never regret buying my yaris. The only regret i might have is that there are times i wish i got the 5 speed. But im sure if i had a 5 speed there would be times that i wish i got the automatic.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Only problem in 50k was a faulty throttle position sensor,replaced under warranty
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
a thread like this is likely to be filled with responses from only those who had a problem... so to balance it out: I've had no problems other than those caused by my bad driving. It is even very durable in little crashes.
edit: oh, check engine light came on at 56,000 miles, but went away after about 20 miles. I tightened the gas cap.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
thepoche

Drives: Toyota Yaris CE
100,000km (~60,000miles) and close to 2000km on a race track and only expenses is oil, brakes and tires. Once I thought the washer fluid pump failed but I just forgot to reconnect it after installing coilovers
thepoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
56k - no problems.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
40oz

Drives: 240sx want a yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
What year is your 240. I used to have a 92 back in the day. I think when i got it this was maybe 99 so it was only 7 years old at the time. Still new to the scene and not really too much aftermarket parts available as they are now. I had it lowered on eibachs, with cusco front and rear swaybars and strut bar. Car did handle insanely well. But my yaris tuned as it is now i believe outhandled my 240. Its almost as fun to drive as my 240 too. I do miss the power the 240 had and the ability to drift on turns in the rain but jsut a easy tap of the gas. But still the yaris is a real fun car to drive for what it is. I think the power assist steering helps attribute to that. Its simular to the power assist of the 240. It lets you feel the road more. I never regret buying my yaris. The only regret i might have is that there are times i wish i got the 5 speed. But im sure if i had a 5 speed there would be times that i wish i got the automatic.
Its a 1990 hatchback. I bought it two years ago with near 100k miles, then installed Kts coilovers last year.

I am looking for a yaris for my DD. As a commuters car I don't care if it has any performance attributes. When I transfer in the next 1.5 years Im gonna keep the 240 at my moms place so yea... When I want to go to the track, Im still gonna have a fun car to drive.

Im really aching to get a new car but I must wait. I love my 240 but its not really a good DD. Its still semi stiff with coilovers at lowest settings. NO ac, I think my speakers are somewhat blown, bad sound quality( don't really want to replace). Also water leak in the trunk. The weather stripping on the tail lights are deteriorated. Also on the single cam version I have, WORST positioning of the oil filter... I think I spoke too much of something irrelevant to the yaris.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
No worries man, the Yaris will be waiting for you when you get out...
They'll likely even have a hybrid model that gets 50MPG by then..

I had my eye on a Yaris for over a year, even though I was working full time, there were other priorities that I had to spend my money on (student loans, paintball, building an investment portfolio, repairs to my old car to keep it running, etc. etc.)..

Though in retrospect, I spent so much money on that old Saturn I probably would have been better off just getting a loan to buy a Yaris my first year of working.. But then that's risky with how the job market is and everything.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I have a 2009 with 13,000mi on it. So far the only large expense I've incurred is buying the car :D

Oh, and all the money I spend on modifying it
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
My '06 Hatch 5-speed has loose CV joints and possible slack in the transmission due to the defective design of the dead pedal and fly-by-wire throttle advance.

I reported this within the first six months and three other subsequent times. Now, at 55K miles they told me to go fly a kite and will not cooperate on any kind of repair.

This is my third Toyota and I had no problems until now. If you need Toyota they ARE NOT THERE FOR YOU.

I will be going to my state's AG office and pursuing other options. Those a-holes lied to me time and time again.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Had my yaris for 14 months now(bought new) has 24,xxx miles and spent under $100 so far on maintance (dealer serviced too ) and no major problems yet . Yaris is the cheapest , most reliable and funnest car I've owned and i've had 3-e30 bimmers , 2-mk3 turbo supras full bpu modd and 3 - 1g eclipse turbo's(built) and the yaris pwns them all for cost/miles driven/fun factor
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
My '06 Hatch 5-speed has loose CV joints and possible slack in the transmission due to the defective design of the dead pedal and fly-by-wire throttle advance
Funny how you are the only one with the defective design..