Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Yarisaur

Drives: 07 Yaris
What Oil weight do you run?

What is the factory recommended oil weight for an 07 yaris... and what type do you all run?
Yarisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
1. what does it say in your manual?

2. i run what it says in the manual.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
WE HAVE NO ENGINES TED....what do you think is good, 30 weight.... 40 weight?!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Kiss my shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
WE HAVE NO ENGINES TED....what do you think is good, 30 weight.... 40 weight?!
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Tamago

i never narc'd on nobody!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?

Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.

Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

In hindsight this movie was so lame the acting was horrible and the cars were super rice
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?

Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.

Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

In hindsight this movie was so lame the acting was horrible and the cars were super rice

did you ever see the email that circulated that was something like "fast food or furious"... just a burger/fastfood themed parody of the movie. I remember one of the quotes was something like...

Last night, somebody came into happymeal, upsetting the fries, and you no what? It was RONALD!

think of when the Asian guy had his place raided by the feds.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Recommended weight is 5W-30.

A TSB was issued recommending ILSAC GF-4 and ok-ing the use of 5W-20.

I have used 20 wt exclusively. I currently am running (and intend to stick with) Renewable Lubricants BIOSYN 0W-20.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I switched to 5w-20 after 10,000 miles. Recommended should be 5w-30 like above post said. Definatly noticed an engine response and fuel economy benefit when switched.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
10w40 shell rotella!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
ran 5w30 for the first 41k, now i'm doing 5w20 for at least the next 9k. Synthetic of course.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
10w40 shell rotella!
No such thing. RT-5 or RT-6.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Recommended weight is 5W-30.

I have used 20 wt exclusively. I currently am running (and intend to stick with) Renewable Lubricants BIOSYN 0W-20.
It is not "back spec'd". All yaris are spec for 5w-30 or heavier in severe service. Warning on TSB says to run what is on the oil fill cap and thats 5w-30.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Actually... no. That TSB has been widely misinterpreted in this forum. Read it carefully, paying close attention to the *title* of the TSB, and particularly to the text in the *second red box*.

The TSB was OK'ing GF-4 rather than GF-3, and further stating that certain future engines would be OK with 5w20 and/or 0w20. So far as I know, no current Yaris engines are really supposed to be using Xw20 oils.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Tamago

gotta love oil threads..
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
gotta love oil threads..
If nothing else, they are entertaining. You get to hear which brands make people's engines "run smoother". As if certain brands got lumpy over time. I've had the best luck with Aunt Jemima 20w50. :-P

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
I've had the best luck with Aunt Jemima 20w50. :-P

-Steve
Notice that Aunt Jemima has a new "current" hairdo - no mo, "Yes, Miss Sally", she's movin on up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt_Jemima.jpg (3.6 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 03-13-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: add img
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
Actually... no. That TSB has been widely misinterpreted in this forum. Read it carefully, paying close attention to the *title* of the TSB, and particularly to the text in the *second red box*.

The TSB was OK'ing GF-4 rather than GF-3, and further stating that certain future engines would be OK with 5w20 and/or 0w20. So far as I know, no current Yaris engines are really supposed to be using Xw20 oils.

-Steve
This was posted in the 5W-20 TSB thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenpatriot View Post
Hey all,

I don't post here regularly, but I wanted to share an email communication I had with a Toyota Customer Service representative regarding the EG018-06 bulletin. Below are both the email I sent and the email I received back. Looks like it is A-OK to use 5W-20 in the Yaris.

Subject
Toyota Service Bulletin EG018-06

Customer (Joshua Smith) 10/16/2009 08:42 PM

Greetings,

I have a question regarding the correct oil type to use in a 2007 Yaris Hatchback. Unless I'm mistaken, my car has a 1NZ-FE engine, which is listed in the Toyota Service Bulletin EG018-06 as an engine that can use 5W-20 oil. My oil cap and manual both say 5W-30 is recommended, but in the service bulletin, Toyota says that 5W-20 may be used -- and a direct quote from the service bulletin states the following: "This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance." Please let me know if 5W-20 is safe to use, and if it is not, I'd like to know why. I'd prefer to use 5W-20 for the better fuel economy and cold weather starting performance, as my car sometimes hesitates to turn on when it's very cold out.

There are a lot of people who have discussed/debated the EG018-06 issue on online message boards and none of us can come up with a solid answer. I'd like to get an official response from Toyota and put this to rest. Please also include a list of which specific Yaris models/years (broken down by VIN# range or some similar method) this covers so I can give some people a definitive answer for their Yarises. Thanks very much in advance for your time and effort.

Regards,
Joshua Smith

Response (RTou) 10/22/2009 08:00 AM

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Toyota recommends the use of ILSAC multigrade, 5W-30 Toyota Genuine Motor Oil or equivalent for the 2007 Yaris. Toyota also recommends, due to its superiority in terms of fuel efficiency, engine protection, and cold starting performance, the use ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20 engine oil for the 2007 Yaris (no specified VIN range).

Thank you again for contacting Toyota.

If we can answer any further questions, please feel free to http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html.

Renee Toussaint
Toyota Customer Experience

Note the words used are recommended, not required.

The NZ series is listed in the column for engines that can use 5W-20.

For those folks who are scared of 20wt oils, some of the conventional 5W-30's people use shear down to 20wts in short order anyway, it just goes unnoticed because most people don't have their used oil analyzed. Not a big deal under most circumstances.

Also for clarity I realize that 0W-20 is not recommended. It stands to reason however that there is in reality no difference between 5W-20 and 0W-20 to the engine except for improved cold performance as long as the 0W-20 is a quality, shear stable formulation.

SilkySmooth is not wrong for running a 10W-30 HDEO if he is really running his car hard for long periods of time and elevating the oil temp. I don't think the particular 0W-20 I choose to use in my Yaris is a bad decision either given the fact most of my trips are under 10 mi in cold weather, and the oil hardly has time to reach normal operating temperature. Plus I drive like an old lady.

People should use what they are most comfortable using in there own cars. It is your car after all. In reality this is all really splitting hairs.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote