Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Lightbulb Highland Roof Racks(?)

I know a lot of people have been wanting to get a roof rack for their yaris but theres usually a lot of hassle and money involved with getting the right fit (especially with the hatch)! Soooo I was searching for alternatives that will still get the job done and came across this system.

The Highland Roof Rack

"Highland Universal Fit Car Roof Racks are an economical load bar carrier. These light duty racks are great for carrying luggage, a ladder, lumber, and more. Designed to fit compact cars, minivans, and SUVs, these racks also fit cars and vans with curved roofs, as well as vehicles with or without rain gutters. The load bars are constructed of steel tube with a powdercoat finish. The vinyl coated gutter hooks can either hook onto rain gutters or the car roof, or around the door frame just inside the door. Buckle straps between the hooks and rack feet cinch down to hold the rack on your car. Load capacity depends on vehicle roof. Choose the Universal Fit Rack with 48" long bars, or the Telescoping Rack that has adjustable bars from 45" to 60" long. "

http://dooranchors.com/highland%20racks.htm
HOW IT FITS ON THERE:
http://www.cargogear.com/infolib.asp...ofrackCar1Bjpg

HOWEVER!!!!
"The mounting clips are designed to fit door frames with a ridge less than 3/4" wide. Does not fit newer vehicles with wide door frames, such as Saturn Vue, Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Honda Accord, Mazda 3, Mazda 5, Mazda 6, Nissan Versa, Scion Xb, Hyundai Sonata."
Wonder if the yaris would be included in there????

any insight???
I know the scion runs very similar to the yaris as I would imagine the corolla, camry, and prius would too?
but could you modify the hooks in such a way to make them work? Im thinking they are the same platic coated hooks used with the typical BELL bike rikes that grab the corners of your car's trunk or hatch....

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"

Last edited by YAR1S; 12-06-2009 at 12:14 AM.
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
it does not look stable to me, my thule cargo rack holds on tight. I would hate for all my stuff to end up on the road. plus many of the thule pieces can be found for cheap on craigslist, most thule most pieces are universal.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
02isjw

Drives: IS300
All of the stuff is universal for either the Thule or Yakima kits. The fit kit is what makes it specific to each vehicle. I have a thule rack for my girls sedan. I'll get pix up when I can. I bought everything but the fit kit used. I have about $275 in it all together so far.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
02isjw

Drives: IS300

Here's mine... There have been some updates as far as the stickers go for the fairing and I bought her a Thule basket for Christmas. I will get some new pix up after the holidays.