Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Mine did this but broke something down where it pivots. Dumbass shop put my dials on in upside down order and stressed the cables. They even had the audacity to tell me I was WRONG about the order of my dials! It broke a few months later when I moved far away, and that was when I discovered the jerk had shaved the clips off the knobs to make them fit (then glued them back in when I showed him a pic of a new on the lot yaris knob location.) I now just remove the glove box and flip it manually a couple times a year, recirculate for summer, fresh air for winter. Totally sucks but I'm not tearing my dash apart to fix it. If I ever did take the dash out it's getting fixed then.

Please try to post your threads in the correct thread section. It's getting old moving all the stuff from the "general discussion" when this was service related. I've moved it to the proper sections

Last edited by Astroman; 09-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
JoeMac

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris S sedan
Smile THANKS!!

WOW thanks a lot, I had an appt at the dealership tomorrow to fix this and decide to look real quick to see how hard it was to fix. You definitely saved me at least 60 bucks if not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post

Very easy to do. It only takes minutes with no tools to take the center stack apart. Starting with pic 1 snapping off the bottom piece.

Then pic 2 shows the two vertical pieces snapped off.

Pic 3 shows the climate control panel being pulled off.

Pic 4 I'm holding the control arm assembly that connects to the back of the top left knob that controls the circulation switch. That's what popped off. I simply re-attached to the back of the the fan speed assembly shown in pic 5.

JoeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #21
omertkhan
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2007
The same thing happened to my Yaris hatchback (it's called Vitz where I live). I thought I'd search for a solution online before going to the Toyota workshop. And boy am I glad I came across this thread!

The pictures posted above really helped a lot, although, the inside of the hatchback is a bit different than that of the sedan. The whole process took about 5-7 minutes.

I certainly saved some money by fixing it myself. The guys at the workshop would have definitely charged a high amount for such a simple problem!

Thanks to all the folks here!
omertkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Mine pops up quite frequently. Its easy enough to re-attach as I've done it several times now, but I will go to switch it over a few weeks later, and there is a lot of resistance -- and then you feel it pop off again. Not sure whats up.. but my inside windows are fogging up like crazy every single day lately even with it on 'fresh air' and I put the AC button down, so not sure if the 2 problems are related.
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_rice View Post
Mine pops up quite frequently. Its easy enough to re-attach as I've done it several times now, but I will go to switch it over a few weeks later, and there is a lot of resistance -- and then you feel it pop off again. Not sure whats up.. but my inside windows are fogging up like crazy every single day lately even with it on 'fresh air' and I put the AC button down, so not sure if the 2 problems are related.
When the guy filed down the tabs to make then fit in the wrong order he probably damaged the clips that hold the cable end to the knob.

The fogging issue may be because the condensate drain is plugged.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #24
nater6969
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Sport Sedan
Climate control connections

I had the same problem with the climate control selector knob (top right, the one with the AC button in the middle) cable slipping off. I repaired it twice myself, but the cable is fraying now. I can get the part, but does anyone have diagrams or pics of the exact location where the module plugs into the blower stack?
Thanks!
nater6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #25
yours_falsely

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I just had the same problem happen, can't switch from fresh air mode and the illumination seems to go in and out. So glad I found this thread
yours_falsely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 AM   #26
Yoda2014
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris 4 door sedan manual
Me too. This must be the first thing to go, but mine happened at 112,000 miles. Thanks Kal-El. This is the reason I joined this forum.
Yoda2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #27
frankinwales
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
My thanks also for the advice in this thread........

My wife's 2006 Yaris diesel auto had the same problem, the mechanical cable had detached from the selector. It was easy enough to gain access ( once I had been shown how the dash came apart for access, via the photo's.)

thanks once more.

Frank
frankinwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
crbennett
I've made a post!

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Same issue with 2011 Yaris Sedan. Pics helped me disassemble and re-assemble in the stated 5 or so minutes. I am tempted to put a dab of crazy glue in a strategic place to prevent the cable/switch assembly from popping off next time. BTW - mine popped off on the first colder day here - not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.
crbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Based on this thread and others on this topic, whenever I turn those knobs, any of them, I do so ever so slowly.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
scaninky
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 yaris
I always turn the fan speed all the way down before changing the recirculation knob. I think it puts less pressure on it.
scaninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #31
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
This whole thing of people solving problems with the internet just gives me a warm and fuzzy!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #32
BCtogian
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Thanks for the pictures Kal-El! Just had this happen to me a few weeks ago, decided to finally take a look at it and found this place! Still relevant in 2015.
BCtogian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #33
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
bumping this just happened to me so im going to take a look and see whats going on
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #34
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
yep, same thing.. fixed it! :)
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #35
Martywells777
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post

Very easy to do. It only takes minutes with no tools to take the center stack apart. Starting with pic 1 snapping off the bottom piece.

Then pic 2 shows the two vertical pieces snapped off.

Pic 3 shows the climate control panel being pulled off.

Pic 4 I'm holding the control arm assembly that connects to the back of the top left knob that controls the circulation switch. That's what popped off. I simply re-attached to the back of the the fan speed assembly shown in pic 5.

Just was searching for how to fix mine which popped off a month ago and all the steps worked great, thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Martywells777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #36
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Is this a sedan only issue?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote