Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
mtiberio

Drives: 2012 3 door LE
seat belt alarm defeat

Any tips on how to do it on a 2012?

I assume there are a number of options:
1) put a dummy clip into the seat belt clasp
2) disconnect the alarm
3) disconnect and or put a jumper across one or more of the 3 connectors under the seat

I'd prefer a solution that doesn't muck up the air bag weight sensing system (if that is even active on the drivers side).

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mtiberio; 05-03-2012 at 03:01 PM.
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
#1 works.

#2 means removing the beeper from inside of the instrument cluster (or having someone with a Toyota Techstream tool turn off the parameter for seat belt chime).

#3 No, because the seat belt sensor is an active device, so you can't bypass it with a jumper. MicroImage sells a device that I created for arming/disarming the passenger airbag and optionally bypassing the passenger seat belt, but unfortunately Toyota changed the Occupant Classification ECU for the 2012, so the device is currently not compatible.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
mtiberio

thanks for the quick reply... I wanted to ask my Toyota dealer about defeating the need for the proximity key switch (I'm finicky about the size of my key ring). Looks like I'll have something else to add to the list...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
thanks for the quick reply... I wanted to ask my Toyota dealer about defeating the need for the proximity key switch (I'm finicky about the size of my key ring). Looks like I'll have something else to add to the list...
The transponder is in the key itself, so you only need the key in the ignition.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
mtiberio

I want to be able to use a flat hardware store duplicate. If that would work with the key in proximity (in the glove box), that might be ok.

on the original note, I think the techstream overide only works on the passenger alarm...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I want to be able to use a flat hardware store duplicate. If that would work with the key in proximity (in the glove box), that might be ok.

on the original note, I think the techstream overide only works on the passenger alarm...
You can't use a flat metal key, but you can use the type with the rubber area on the end (which is where the transponder lives). If you don't care about the security of the engine immobilizer you can cut a key with the transponder and attach the transponder end inside of the steering column cover, near the ignition switch. Then, you could use a flat key on your key ring.

For 06-11 the TechStream override is for both passenger and driver (separately configurable). I haven't had my hands on a 2012 to see if it is the same.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Beba

Drives: Yarris
Some times me and my mom sit into the car and drive across the village to my grandmothers house. The distance is no more than a half a mile and there seems no reason for us to use the seat belts.

So I was wondering if there is any way to make at least the sound alarm stop or make it less persistant. The dummy clips seem like a lot of hassle to me.
Beba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Just put the seat belts on. Half a mile is plenty of time for some drunkard to ram your car and kill you.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Just put the seat belts on. Half a mile is plenty of time for some drunkard to ram your car and kill you.
This. x1000.

It takes all of what? 3 seconds to put a seat belt on?

I fail to see how that is inconvenient. It's far less inconvenient than being dead.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Beba

Drives: Yarris
That is all very true. In fact my grandmother almost died just a mile from her home once when a junkie rammed into her and had she not been wearing her seat belt she would not of have been alive today.
Beba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
My co-worker was just rearended by an SUV. He has or had a Magnum. It was totaled.

What would happen if that SUV hit one of us? What would happen if we weren't wearing a seatbelt?
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Okay, that is a bit extreme. I've been rear ended several times, the worst by a moron in a large suv on a cellphone who literally didn't brake at all. She hit at about 45 mph. Rear enders are not usually bad accidents injury wise.

The Yaris would be totaled, but as has been demonstrated repeatedly by people who have been in accidents with their Yaris on this board, the Yaris is a very safe car.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I'd put the seat belt on. Even half a mile is enough risk. You can't control some idiot driving towards you at a high rate of speed, who drifts into your lane, perhaps around a blind curve, or pops up over the top of a hill. Even a large rock sliding down the hill, a deer jumping out of no where. Most of the time there is nothing to worry about, but if you start leaving your belt off because the drive is so short you might forget to put it on on a longer drive. I started wearing my seat belt years ago, and just days after doing so I had a wreck, and the belt saved my life.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Quote:
I'd prefer a solution that doesn't muck up the air bag weight sensing system (if that is even active on the drivers side).

Thanks,
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beba View Post
Some times me and my mom sit into the car and drive across the village to my grandmothers house. The distance is no more than a half a mile and there seems no reason for us to use the seat belts.

So I was wondering if there is any way to make at least the sound alarm stop or make it less persistant. The dummy clips seem like a lot of hassle to me.

Why you worried about airbags if you're not going to wear a seatbelt? Unless you installing a 3 point harness/racing seat.

If you just don't want to wear a seatbelt more power to you but i wouldn't leave this post up so somebody could possibly injure themselves.

Or if somebody does have the know a how pm these people and don't post it publicly. Liability is the magic word here.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 05-06-2013 at 09:05 PM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I never used to wear my seat belt in my 04' Kia Rio. Luckily nothing ever happened but I actually don't mind the seat belt reminder. I think it's helping me create better habits than I had previously.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
This. x1000.

It takes all of what? 3 seconds to put a seat belt on?

I fail to see how that is inconvenient. It's far less inconvenient than being dead.
I thought we were past the age of old fuddy-duddies not wearing seat-belts because of inconvenience/comfort. Its been proven enough by now they are life savers. Just wear them, sheesh. heh

PS> The accident that totaled my last yars was a rear-end collision by a woman exiting the highway at high speed and didn't see us stopped on the off-ramp due to traffic. She hit me which threw me into the back of the person in front of me. I was tossed around so hard if I hadn't been wearing my seat belt I would have been in a world of hurt. (more than I already was)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
Blakethesnake

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
You guys arguing about seatbelt use. Yes on a roadway all ways wear it. But what about us that have land. I drive on my own property with no other cars. Should I have to hear that annoying buzzer. F... no!! It should be my choice. And there’s no reason for a seatbelt because there’s no chance of any accident. Period. So Toyota should disable this thing if i desire. Make me sign a waiver if they are worried about me not wearing it on the road. But it’s my vehicle. And I should have the choice without any argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #18
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakethesnake View Post
You guys arguing about seatbelt use. Yes on a roadway all ways wear it. But what about us that have land. I drive on my own property with no other cars. Should I have to hear that annoying buzzer. F... no!! It should be my choice. And there’s no reason for a seatbelt because there’s no chance of any accident. Period. So Toyota should disable this thing if i desire. Make me sign a waiver if they are worried about me not wearing it on the road. But it’s my vehicle. And I should have the choice without any argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you bother reviving a thread from 2013?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk