Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
How many seconds do you think such a mod will help acceleration ?

Currently, I'm on 195/50R 16s, 16x7" rims. Probably 11 pounds or so a rim. I'm also on stock pulleys.

I have little to no intention of compromising reliability, so I will not go forced induction, whatsoever. WHat I'm keen in is, to increase efficiency of power delivery to increase acceleration.

SO...

What if I went, 195/55R15, 15"x6.5JJ 9lb rims. This will reduce rotating mass by over 6 lbs inclusive of a lighter tyre. I will also change the pulleys to one of those lightweight aluminum variants. I will change my engine oil to 0w-40w Mobil 1. And if need be, thicken my autotransmission oil, and remove the 20kg or so sitting in my boot.

Do you think I will be able to reduce my acceleration from the current 11. something seconds to a sub ten ?

I have no intention of a cold air intake, because frankly, I've got that route before and I think in an automatic, it sucks. A big torque hole.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Hey, I raced my auto on the quarter mile and had a blast, even though I lost every time. I went with a NST CR-lite pulley and a TRD exhaust and I got a 17.356. No intake either. I did remove my extra seats, spare tire, jack, etc. A good thing to do with this car is ditch the weight.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
No I dont race professionally in any sense. But I do take the car on the track when I can. I admit automatics are pretty senseless to track, but still it is great fun.

I do not have much issues keeping Swift Sport drivers in manual transmission behind. Not saying that I'm good, but on the track, transmission is only one out of the many factors to a good track time.

I bought an automatic only because my mum or my gf can take the car out anytime, and I'll have a peace of mind that they dont stall and cause an accident.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote