Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
badmofo

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback, Basic
Yaris engine noise (Video)

I had trouble starting the Yaris this morning, 2 times it ran rough for a few seconds then died. Now it has this growl/whine that is tied to engine speed. I loosened the belt checked the ALT, AC, Water Pump - they seem ok. What else could this be?

http://youtu.be/od1V63stgEQ
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Sure sounds like a bad bearing
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It sounds like the alternator has a bad bearing. You could take the belt off and run it for a few seconds (not too long since the water pump won't be running) to verify that it is one of the things driven by the belt as opposed to the engine itself.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I have a similar noise.. i was hoping it was the water pump personally.. I did install NST pulleys on alt and water pump.. When I took the belt off, The noise went away.. let us know what you find
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
badmofo

I removed the belt and started the engine for a few seconds, the noise is definitely something driven by the belt. I cant tell which one by spinning them with my hand, but the alternator has a little more resistance when turning. Any way to tell for sure? Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
ilikerice

I was just thinking.. If you had a battery powered drill at your disposal, you could take the alternator off and put the correct socket on it, and pull the trigger, see if it makes that bearing noise a little bit.. Id try this now but im at work.

I will prob try this this weekend
Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
badmofo

Derrick, good idea. I'm going to try that right now, errr after a cup of coffee.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
badmofo

Well the coffee gave me another idea that actually worked. I wrapped about 5 feet of paracord around the alt pulley and gave it a hard pull. It did not sound good, so the official diagnosis is the alt bearing. Is the bearing replaceable or am I looking at a new alt?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
Well the coffee gave me another idea that actually worked. I wrapped about 5 feet of paracord around the alt pulley and gave it a hard pull. It did not sound good, so the official diagnosis is the alt bearing. Is the bearing replaceable or am I looking at a new alt?
Toyota only breaks the alternator down as far as replacing the entire rotor assembly (with the bearings already pressed on) for about $200, so it would be a case of having to find the correct sized bearings or simply buy a low mileage junkyard alternator.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
badmofo

Would you recommend an aftermarket part? CTScott and Derrick, you have my respect and admiration.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Would you recommend an aftermarket part? CTScott and Derrick, you have my respect and admiration.
I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket alternator, as others who have use them have had issues with the charging warning light flickering. I would stick with an OEM one and try to find an 08 or newer one to avoid a potential issue with the voltage regulator corroding (of which there was a TSB on for 07).
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
ilikerice

Quote:

Better idea than I had.. Coffee always makes you think smarter and faster. 1 cup a day for me every morning. I think I just drink it for the taste now, I can literally drink coffee to fall asleep.

I will try your idea this weekend also..
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post

Better idea than I had.. Coffee always makes you think smarter and faster. 1 cup a day for me every morning. I think I just drink it for the taste now, I can literally drink coffee to fall asleep.

I will try your idea this weekend also..
I have to give you some credit for the idea, you got the ball rolling. Well the stealership is $635 richer and Im broke, but at least the Yaris rus perfect now and I am the owner of free camo Toyota hat. I didn't even complain about the price! Thanks again guys!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
$635.00 for the alternater or that includes installation.
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Wow that is obscene for just an alt..
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote