Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
aerock19

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan - Polar White
Aftermarket Keyless Entry - How does it affect the Warranty?

I'm considering going to BestBuy to get the Viper keyless entry system installed into my Yaris Sedan. I wanted to see if anyone knew how an aftermarket keyless entry system would affect the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty or the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. I'm here in LA, California, so needless to say, my American Yaris Sedan had the power package but didn't come with keyless entry.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
ALY
TOYOTA Product Advisor

Drives: 2007 YARIS RS 3DR LB "B" PKG
after market security has nothing to do with either warranty and should not effect it in any way.
ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Drives: '75 Mini, '08 xB2
If they can link any damage to electronics from a poor install, it would effect the warranty coverage for that specific part or piece of electronics damaged, but that'd be it...

The only circumstance would be if some idiot installer fried your wiring or such by reversing wires, shorting something out, etc... of course Toyota warranty wouldn't cover that, as it's the installers mistake...

But, even if something went wrong... it'd be only that little specific thing that wouldn't be covered (if the install caused it), not the whole car, or other components covered under warranty.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
aerock19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCarGuy View Post
If they can link any damage to electronics from a poor install, it would effect the warranty coverage for that specific part or piece of electronics damaged, but that'd be it...

The only circumstance would be if some idiot installer fried your wiring or such by reversing wires, shorting something out, etc... of course Toyota warranty wouldn't cover that, as it's the installers mistake...

But, even if something went wrong... it'd be only that little specific thing that wouldn't be covered (if the install caused it), not the whole car, or other components covered under warranty.
Hey, thanks for the "heads up"! I feel better now about going to purchase an aftermarket keyless entry system! Does anyone own any of the Keyless Viper systems from Best Buy?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
Viper/DEI suck
bestbuy is ridiculously overpriced
those are about the only comments i have...

oh and as smallcarguy said, should you have any warranty issues the dealer may try to pin it on something electrical, but they'd have to prove that your upgrade caused it before denying you service.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
aerock19

duck, what keyless/alarm would you recommend besides Viper @ Best Buy?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Drives: '75 Mini, '08 xB2
DEI are consistently the highest recommended, I've loved everyone I've gotten... but they are overpriced at Best But For Sure... Try a smaller shop for better prices.

But, DEI owns so many brands.... Viper, Hornet, Clifford, Python, etc.... so you'll see a lot of DEI everywhere.

I loved my 791 xv two way viper, but the lower end ones are nice too... I think I've had a 550ESP as well...

Try the security sense forum of www.sounddomain.com (in the forum areas) for good information from some super knowledgeable guys about alarms and installs... as it's the place to go for help for sure.

This is from the most knowledgable alarm installer guy I've found (he's been around for YEARS)...

Quote:
This post is for installers to recomend their favorite alarms.
Do not post questions here. They will be deleted.
Use the search button first. Then if you still have a question, start your own post.
Here is a chance for all the installers to recomend alarms. Everyday someone asks the same question. What alarm is the best? Well here is your chance to recomend. I will sticky this if it goes well.

Prices are just what I have seen them for. Please give warnings of alarms to stay away from. Example, stay away from Ungo.

Here are my picks.

Inexpensive DIY systems
Audiovox alarms

Directed Electronics has cracked down on internet sales. New in the box alarms are getting harder to find on ebay.
www.directed.com

Top of the line remote start alarms. $499 installed
Python 881, Viper 791 and Clifford RS3.5 are the same alarm. All the same options of the other remote starts. Excellent range.

Just like the above models there are 2 way LED systems from all lines. We sell the Viper 771 at work. Nice alarm with less range.

If you want two way with no remote start. The Viper 3000 is the new choice.

The Viper 5000 is a two way LCD am alarm in the am band.

Viper 350 is a great entry level alarm with keyless, siren, led, shock sensor and door protection. $249 installed
Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
I had a DEI Clifford and loved the features but didn't think them or the alarm worked well enough.
I've always heard great things about Compustar and always wanted one.

Doing some research just now it does seem like DEI has stepped up and their Clifford, and even Viper, lines are much better, so I retract my prior claim. I haven't had an alarm in a few years.

The bad thing about best buy is they way inflate prices and installation. The good thing about best buy is that when they have a sale or otherwise drop to more reasonable prices, you can get a price match within 30 days of your purchase.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote