Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quick question re: revolutions per mile

If my OEM tire (goodyear eagle ls) was rated at 880 revs per mile, and my new tire (hankook rs-2's) are rated at 915 revs per mile, then does that mean that i've been calculating my MPG's incorrectly?

So hypothetically lets say a round number like 400 miles on a fillup, of 10 gallons of fuel. This would net me 40mpg's.

So the ratio of the new tire (915/880= approx 1.03977% change) would change it to 400 milesx1.03977= 415.9 miles? So then that would change my MPG from 40 to 41.59?

What i'm trying to aSK is does the speedo recalibraTE for my new tires, or do i need to multiply it (1.03977) every tank in this case?

thank you!

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
speedo does not recalibrate.

you do have to factor in your new wheel circumference.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Thanks Tamago, then that means i have been "underestimating" my mpgs for all my cars (not that it matters much when i get 13 MPG in the wrx coming out of a straight at 130 entering a chicane..haha)

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Tamago

actually, overestimating.. if you went with a smaller overall diameter, your actual GROUND mileage is less than your odo tells you. odo says you've traveled 400 miles when you've actually only gone 384.7 miles.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
tire size....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
If my OEM tire (goodyear eagle ls) was rated at 880 revs per mile, and my new tire (hankook rs-2's) are rated at 915 revs per mile, then does that mean that i've been calculating my MPG's incorrectly?

So hypothetically lets say a round number like 400 miles on a fillup, of 10 gallons of fuel. This would net me 40mpg's.

So the ratio of the new tire (915/880= approx 1.03977% change) would change it to 400 milesx1.03977= 415.9 miles? So then that would change my MPG from 40 to 41.59?

What i'm trying to aSK is does the speedo recalibraTE for my new tires, or do i need to multiply it (1.03977) every tank in this case?

thank you!
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html try this site for the info you want....
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If your tires are turning more times per mile, your speedometer is now reading faster than you're actually going, and your odometer is showing more distance than you've actually gone.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
I agree with Yaris Hilton, that you have been showing more distance than you've actually gone. What I do suggest is this......next time you go a long distance on a highway that has mileage markers, keep track of your odometer and what the highway markers shows. Very likely they will show different distances. The highway will show less miles than your odometer.
GL, Roadrunner

Last edited by roadrunner; 07-20-2009 at 06:24 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Another option, If you have a portable GPS, most will show your realtime MPH and you can use that instead of your speedometer. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w and it shows my MPH on the main screen.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Can't you just change your speedo gear?
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Can't you just change your speedo gear?
It's electronic, not mechanical. I am not sure if the ECU is reprogrammable and it has always made me wonder as I have larger wheels on my Yaris and my speedo is spot on according to my GPS.

That means either the dealer reprogrammed the ECU/speedo when they put the wheels on, or the stock settings on the speedo are off.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
It's electronic, not mechanical. I am not sure if the ECU is reprogrammable and it has always made me wonder as I have larger wheels on my Yaris and my speedo is spot on according to my GPS.

That means either the dealer reprogrammed the ECU/speedo when they put the wheels on, or the stock settings on the speedo are off.
there IS an actual speedo gear in the transmission though... just not sure how you'd shim it since it's fed from the end of the speedo sensor and top loaded on the differential.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
You are actually decreasing the value of your car with every mile your odometer shows. If you car is going a mile but shows 1.2 miles (for example) you are racking up more miles that are going to make the value of your car less in a few years.

Also your car insurance might be over charging you for insurance if they are rating your coverage by the miles your odometer is showing for annual mileage.

Of course if you keep the car until the wheels fall off, it doesn't matter what size the wheel is.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Tamago

LOL you are actually decreasing the value of the car by driving it no matter what the odo reads..
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

It may be even easier then, just give the ECU the new diameter and you're good to go.

There has to be a way to make it work though, as popular as it is to change wheel and tire sizes these days. I'm thinking that a dealer might have legal issues with changing the diameter without recalibrating the speedo.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I agree with Yaris Hilton, that you have been showing more distance than you've actually gone. What I do suggest is this......next time you go a long distance on a highway that has mileage markers, keep track of your odometer and what the highway markers shows. Very likely they will show difference distances. The highway will show less miles than your odometer.
GL, Roadrunner
I do this check myself. I drive 10 highway miles ane compair that to the odometer. If the odometer showes 11 miles for every 10 miles driven than it is now 9% fast. If your speedometer showes 110 mph you are actually doing 100 mph.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
LOL you are actually decreasing the value of the car by driving it no matter what the odo reads..
True, but the value decreases at a greater rate the more mileage the car has.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
True, but the value decreases at a greater rate the more mileage the car has.
i wasn't arguing that point.

but it's a car.

and econocar

it's not an exotic.

use it for what it was meant to be. basic transportation.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #18
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
Try this for better understanding: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote