Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchin View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I should mention that I have reviewed an excellent thread on this forum (with pictures) about changing the water pump. That's what make me somewhat confident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
i have not done this on a yaris yet, but if I can do it on the last few cars I've had (325i, Mustang GT, and Lancer Ralliart) I'm fairly confident that this should be an extremely easy job.

anybody have a link to a DIY for the benefit of the OP?

Let me know if you have any questions http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...1NZ?highlight=
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I bought my oem pump for about $78usd. I have an AC Delco pump as a spare part..

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
maui

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback in white
water pump replacement

Comments below barryware's very accurate and useful post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
I replaced my pump twice in the last three weeks because the new pump (new, not a rebuild) was leaking around the shaft. There is one bolt that is difficult to get any "turn" on.
Removing the alternator makes it easier to access. Make sure you get a good gasket with the pump. My 1st pump came with basically a piece of paper for the gasket.

The 3 bolts that hold the pulley to the shaft are 10mm. You need a wrench (not a socket) to remove these bolts as well as having to lock the pulley. I used a large screwdriver through one of the holes in the pulley.

There are 3 bolts and two nuts that hold on the water pump. These are also 10mm. You will need a combination of wrench and socket to get these off.

The top bolt on the alternator is 12mm. The bottom bolt on the alternator is 14mm. A wrench works fine for both. To get to lower bolt out all the way so you can remove the alternator, you need to remove one 10mm bolt that holds an AC line in place. Remove the bolt, and wiggle the bracket up the ac line (toward the front of the car) a couple of inches so it is not in the way of removing the lower alternator bolt. It is a long bolt.

The last pump, was the third pump I have installed on the car.. 1st pump was at about 38k miles. The second was at 73k, and the third was the next weekend after the 2nd pump.

Start to finish, about 3 hours but there was a lot of coffee sipping.

Even though you drained the radiator, when you remove the pump, there will be a substantial amount of coolant that comes out. Put some cardboard on the floor with some kind of catch pan. I used a plastic 1lb coffee container. Besides what made it to the floor (cardboard), I caught 6 ~ 8 oz of fluid in the container.

Good luck.. It is not difficult. Well.. it is not like hauling rocks in a wheel barrel for three hours but it is kind of a pain.
barrymore has give very useful information for anyone considering this DIY

I was looking for torque specs for the 5 pump bolts and was only able to find 18 inch pounds for those 10mm nuts and bolts

Taking the alternator out makes it much easier!!

You will need to use a screwdriver or in my case a screwdriver with a hook end to put through the pulley so it won't turn, otherwise it will spin.

I also loosened the motor mount, and the one A/C line mount and finally used a pry bar to get enough clearance to wrestle the pump out. This is the hardest part, just not enough room, really need an extra 1/4 inch. Also the bottom most bolt on the pump is a pain as under the pump are two bolts the TOP one is for the waterpump and they are situated vertically, you want the topmost one. A retractable mirror is useful here but it can be done by feel.

Ours lasted 115K on a '07.

ASIN OEM waterpump available on eBay for $45 including Priority shipping and it has the proper metal gasket!!!

Aloha
maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #22
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui View Post
Comments below barryware's very accurate and useful post:

barrymore has give very useful information for anyone considering this DIY

I was looking for torque specs for the 5 pump bolts and was only able to find 18 inch pounds for those 10mm nuts and bolts

Taking the alternator out makes it much easier!!

You will need to use a screwdriver or in my case a screwdriver with a hook end to put through the pulley so it won't turn, otherwise it will spin.

I also loosened the motor mount, and the one A/C line mount and finally used a pry bar to get enough clearance to wrestle the pump out. This is the hardest part, just not enough room, really need an extra 1/4 inch. Also the bottom most bolt on the pump is a pain as under the pump are two bolts the TOP one is for the waterpump and they are situated vertically, you want the topmost one. A retractable mirror is useful here but it can be done by feel.

Ours lasted 115K on a '07.

ASIN OEM waterpump available on eBay for $45 including Priority shipping and it has the proper metal gasket!!!

Aloha

Torque for the pump is only 8.1 lbs and 11 lbs for the pully wheel as per toyota spec ...just did my wp this week .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #23
maui

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback in white
Water Pump Torque specs

thanks for those torque specs, I went with about 95 ft #'son the waterpump, no leaks should be good to go... BTW used almost exactly one gallon of Toyota Pink premix antifreeze just draining it out the bottom of radiator. The stuff looked perfectly clean and clear pink even after 115K but replaced it anyway...
maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui View Post
thanks for those torque specs, I went with about 95 ft #'son the waterpump, no leaks should be good to go... BTW used almost exactly one gallon of Toyota Pink premix antifreeze just draining it out the bottom of radiator. The stuff looked perfectly clean and clear pink even after 115K but replaced it anyway...
That is 8 lbs as in 8.1 lbs not 95 lbs ....snug thats all ...hope that is a typo on ur part at u mean 9.5 lbs hehe and ya it will take a jug of pink stuff just make sure u get all the air out of the system
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #25
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
My OE water pump went out at 30 some thousand miles I installed an ASC water pump (branded "Tough One" from Autozone). After hearing Asin may only last another 30,000 or 200,000 I just opted for the Autozone part with life time warranty.
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #26
jared_a_washburn

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Water Pump Replacement

I know this is an old thread, and am not sure if any one will get this....

But I was curious at how many of your water pumps failed so early on in the car's life. I am at 148k miles on my '08 Yaris, and have just now ran into problems with the WP. Gonna replace it this weekend, and I am deciding to go with a Duralast from AutoZone over ordering an OEM part. I guess I am just fortunate that I was able to go so long without problems.

The main problem I'm getting now is noise, lots of noise, almost like a grinding or rattle. I don't seem to have a lot of leakage. I saw a previous poster mention the shaft might be damaged and that could be what causes the grinding sound.

Anyway... I'm set to do the job myself, but definitely am going to try to have some assistance from a helper. I always foul things up when I don't have a second opinion near by.
jared_a_washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Just get a lifetime warranty one. That way you'll never have to pay for one again if it ever goes out. My OEM pump went out at around 130,000km and a new Parts Source lifetime warranty one has given me no problems so far w/ 20k km on it now.

It's not hard to do but you'll want to loosen the passenger side motor mount and use a jack under the oil pan to help get access to one of the wp bolts
Old 02-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #28
jared_a_washburn

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Thanks for the tip!!! Headed to the auto parts store right now. Wish me luck
jared_a_washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #29
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good luck and we are here to help.

I think your we is really toast if it's noisy. My just leaked but I replaced it cause it was under warranty.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #30
Exiwolfman

Best way if u have a hoist is to go through the pass side wheel area and have the engine drop after removing the engine mount, you can have it done under 30 min.
Or go through the top by lifting engine and removing the alt ... Works too just takes longer and more of a pain.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #31
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^ good point. I can't remember if I accessed it from below or up top. Either way being able to move the engine up and down really help access that bottom wp bolt.

If your wp is sqealing then change it now before it strand you on the side of the road or over heats your car. If it's squealing then the bearing is usually toast and it's just a matter of time.

The wp in my Echo went out at 300,000km and it never leaked. Just squealed like a banshee. The wp in my Yaris never made any noise but it left a pink streak under my hood. So I didn't feel like seeing how long I could go until it gave way and started leaking a ton of coolant.

Fwiw, I drained the coolant before doing this job. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this w/ out draining the coolant but i'd recommend it.

Tags
water pump changing