Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
What mileage would you consider selling your Yaris?

I created this thread just because I like to plan big changes, years in advance.

We bought the wife's 09 Yaris sedan in 2011. Had 40k miles on it. Now it has 200k. I was thinking we will probably sell it when it has 450k miles on it. And just buy another low mileage Yaris sedan, and start the process all over again. What are your thoughts on this? We change the oil with a high quality synthetic every 7500 miles, religiously. We also use a high end oil filter that I researched thoroughly before selecting which one we were going to use for the life of the car.

But at 450k miles, you begin to question how much longer an engine will last. I've known some cars that have very high mileage like that, to just finally die one day and need a new engine. Sometimes when the mileage gets that high, a connecting rod will just let go one day. Its not like you can complain if a connecting rod lets go, in an engine that has 450k miles. Most cars would have been crushed and melted 250k miles before that.

But that was just an example, you can insert whatever major expensive engine repairs you want. So at what mileage, would you consider selling your yaris? Even if you were just going to go out and buy yet another Yaris to replace it. Is there some general knowledge of when these engines typically fail? Even if maintained properly.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
450,000 miles is a lot of use. I would personally run the car until it dies at that point since people don't really want to spend any money on a car with mileage like that.

Unless if rust starts to eat away at my Yarii, I will be running them literally into the ground, patching them back up, and running them some more.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Mines at 320k and I'm about to refurb it after a minor accident and continue driving it!

Last edited by firebird1999us; 02-01-2018 at 09:09 PM.
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
450,000 miles is a lot of use. I would personally run the car until it dies at that point since people don't really want to spend any money on a car with mileage like that.

Unless if rust starts to eat away at my Yarii, I will be running them literally into the ground, patching them back up, and running them some more.

Well I don't thin we'll run it till it dies, as we don't want the wife to be stranded at some point on her way to work. But I think you're right about the selling part. Few people would pay for that. Probably be a $500 car at most. So I'm trying to get some idea of when these engines are generally spent, when they're well maintained. My guess would be somewhere in the 400k-450k miles area.

How much does a low mileage engine cost for these things? When I say low mileage, I mean 30k-60k miles. I would think they'd be fairly cheap for a low mileage engine and transmission combo.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
If it gets to the point where you'd sell it for $500, I'll come get it haha.

For engine and trans prices, try www.car-part.com and see what the yards want for them. I haven't looked recently but I remember the engines not costing too much since they don't go bad almost ever.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #6
BennyLava

If I ever did replace the engine, I'd want to reset the odometer to display the mileage of the new engine. So I could easily keep up with that. Don't know if its possible though. Well I'm sure its possible, just don't know how big of a pain it is.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:42 AM   #7
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I don't see the point in selling once it has that kind of mileage. I'll run mine till its scrap and then strip it for parts and get another lower mileage/rust one.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post

How much does a low mileage engine cost for these things?
Check out https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ngine&_sacat=0

Older model years engines may have similar mileages and be less expensive. The above link is to a search produced by entering "2010 Toyota Yaris Engine".

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I don't see the point in selling once it has that kind of mileage. I'll run mine till its scrap and then strip it for parts and get another lower mileage/rust one.
Agreed. Since the newer models share the same parts you can either keep the hole one as a parts car or strip it to save space and store the parts. Then buy another cheap used yaris and have another excellent car for the next 10 years.

I've started Krown anti rust spraying my car every year when I bought my '08 in 2012 and the sub frame and body look astonishingly rust free. I see myself 3rd painting the car before I'll ever have to scrap it due to rust.

In my neck of the woods a large auto recycler sells 1nz's for $400-$600 plus tax, I bought my 2zr from them for $600 with only 89k km on it and they have a good reputation
Old 02-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Agreed. Since the newer models share the same parts you can either keep the hole one as a parts car or strip it to save space and store the parts. Then buy another cheap used yaris and have another excellent car for the next 10 years.

I've started Krown anti rust spraying my car every year when I bought my '08 in 2012 and the sub frame and body look astonishingly rust free. I see myself 3rd painting the car before I'll ever have to scrap it due to rust.

In my neck of the woods a large auto recycler sells 1nz's for $400-$600 plus tax, I bought my 2zr from them for $600 with only 89k km on it and they have a good reputation
I'd strip mine to save space. Probably the only thing left would be a few dented body panels and the cars chassis and crusty old suspension components and a few plastic interior pieces and the stripped down engine (if it was high mileage/near death/dead). I looked on ebay a few weeks ago and there are quite a few Mk2 Yaris's for sale. Even if they had something wrong with them it wouldn't bother me. I'd just fix it. Plenty of people seem to want to chuck them at 10 years/<100,000 because conventional wisdom says that's when a car wears out.

I've seen 1KR-FE engines for sale with low mileage for £300. They are in several other cars beside the Yaris. Its not entirely simple to swap them. I would have to swap the oil sump with the one on my car and seen as mine is a Japanese made engine but all the others in Europe were made at the Engine/Gearbox plant in Poland i'm not entirely sure if my cars ECU will run one of the Euro engines and if I'll run into wiring issues but i'm certainly going to try.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 AM   #11
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Check out https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ngine&_sacat=0

Older model years engines may have similar mileages and be less expensive. The above link is to a search produced by entering "2010 Toyota Yaris Engine".
Looked around, and wow these engines are cheap lol. Hard to beat this car, and this engine. Imo toyota really knocked it out of the park when they came up with the yaris. 30+ mpg and an engine that just doesn't like to die. And is cheap if it ever does die.

Found an engine that has 6k miles on it for $950.

So yeah, probably won't ever sell it lol. I'll just retire it and use it as "the loner" for when people I know need a car to use for a bit.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^one of the reasons amoung many that Toyota has kept the 1nz for so darn long even though others companies like Honda have brought new power plants to their cars in the same class.

I personally wouldn't buy a new model in the first couple years as there is always issues that need to be ironed out when major changes are made.

I recently helped my sister in law buy her first car as she is now in her last year of Uni. It was of course an a/t '07 Yaris 4dr LB in black. 225k km on it and it was clean. I feel like a toyota fan boy but seriously there isn't a better value/reliable car out there for her in her price range (she paid $2300). The trans will last the life I'm the car and if it ever starts burning through oil I can just throw a new engine in the for $500 and a weekend of work.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
zoidberg444

It's a shame. In the UK I've never seen a 1NZ MK2 Yaris. There were a few MK1's with them but the most popular engines were the SZ engines which aren't as good and oddly enough the Corolla only ever came with the ZZ engines which came in 1.4-1.6-1.8 and there was never a 1.5 option and the NZ engines weren't up to snuff with emissions and were to thirsty for our market so never really became widespread.

Honda have some good engines, but despite their habit of drinking oil quite a few Toyota engines have longer life spans. Plus the Yaris is more comfortable than it's Honda Jazz/Fit equivalent and I've driven both extensively. Only negative on the Yaris is cabin noise.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
As others have said, there is no number of miles high enough to make me sell my Yaris. I plan to keep it even after eventually getting another car. Only way I'll part with it is if someone totals it for me, or something structurally goes wrong that would make it unsafe and would cost a lot to repair.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #15
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
^ I'm with you!

I'm slowly nearing 100k, but have barely hit 92k miles since October 2007. I'll drive this thing forever.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
^ I'm with you!

I'm slowly nearing 100k, but have barely hit 92k miles since October 2007. I'll drive this thing forever.
Yes, sir!

I'm approaching 74k...

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #17
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Yes, sir!

I'm approaching 74k...
I'm jealous lol
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I guess I've got a different take on this. As any car approaches 100K miles, I start thinking about replacing it. It doesn't matter if I love the car, it's in excellent condition, and has given me zero problems. Sad to see it go, but the relationship is over.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote