Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Tokico Blues and.......
Progress 7 36.84%
AOE TigerTec 5 26.32%
Tein S-Tec 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
minnyar

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan (5pd)
Tokico Blues and.......

1. Progress
2. AOE TigerTecs
3. Tein S-tecs

Since I don't think I will need post install adjustability, coilovers might be overkill. I would like some opinions on a Tokico Blue shock/springs noted above combo. I am looking for something that won't realign my vertebrae on expansion joints but something that will give a tight/balanced feel.

Garm, I will be buying from you so your opinion would be appreciated
minnyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
How are the roads out there?

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Stock springs and add a rear swaybar.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
minnyar

Sarcastic answer or for realsies? I have the UR 23mm sway bar. Are you suggesting the Blues and stock springs? I really want less roll, and wouldn't mind a stiffer ride.

ctrj: Interstates and highways are great in the summer, fall, late spring. But towards the end of winter they are miserable, massive chunks of concrete missing al over the place. City streets are hit or miss, when they are bad, there BAD.

*thanks for the votes so far*
Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
I have AOE Tigertec Springs and Tokico Blues, the ride is stiff but still very good for a DD, It won't knock your teeth out or beat you up while your going down the street. The car handles so much better but keep in mind I have V rated tires so they have a stiffer sidewall. It's a great set up plus you already have a rear sway bar, that is my next mod. Tigertec Springs+Tokico Blues+UR Rear Swaybar=
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Aoe = Understeer
Tein = bit of oversteer

Both are really good in my opinion but after owning both springs, I have to give the edge to the Teins overall. The ride, for me anyways, is more comfortable and the handling is a bit better. But I liked the look of the AOE's. The drop was perfect on them, not too high and not too low.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnyar View Post
Sarcastic answer or for realsies?
I was serious. Good adjustable dampers will allow you to fine-tune the amount of suspension motion to your liking. Stiffer and lower springs will decrease the ride quality, especially on the bad roads that you mention. With stock springs and adjustable dampers, you can always opt to soften the shocks for a smoother ride at any time. Once you've lowered the car and upped the spring rates, you can't easily change that!

Right now, I have the 23mm rear bar and adjustable rear shocks. I run the rear shocks at full soft (which is still stiffer than stock) on the street, and crank them stiff for autocross. Works great.

With adjustables on all four corners, you can set the stiffness wherever you want.

FYI, most adjustable shocks are adjusting the rebound damping, not the compression damping. So, when you set them stiffer, you're not resisting the compression of the suspension on the side that is on the outside of the turn, but resisting the LIFT of the suspension on the inside of the turn.

If you picture this happening on the rear of the car, you can see that it has the same effect as stiffening the swaybar. When you turn, a swaybar applies the upward suspension movement from the outside wheel to the inside wheel, causing it to lift and transfer that weight to the diagonally opposite (outside front) wheel. If you crank up the rebound damping on the rear of the car, when you turn, the inside wheel resists extending, transferring that weight to the outside front again.

Anyway. Yeah. If you want street comfort, keep stock spring rates and stock ride height. The rear bar, good adjustable dampers and good tires will give you plenty of body roll reduction and good handling.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
minnyar

So your recommendation might be the Tokico Reds or equivalent? Everything you said makes sense, the only bummer would be keeping stock ride height...I am willing to sacrifice some ride comfort for a conservative drop.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
FYI, I've got the Tokico Blues, Tein S-Techs, and TRD rear sway bar. I really like the combination.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Loren
What?

Tokiko HTS would be a great choice.

Everything is a compromise. Suspension travel (and thus ride height) is a major component of ride quality. TRD springs might be a good option to throw into the mix.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
bribri

Drives: white stock yris
Loren when you said you had adjustable shocks on the rear are the front struts stock? What shocks are you using?
Brian
bribri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribri View Post
Loren when you said you had adjustable shocks on the rear are the front struts stock? What shocks are you using?
Brian
The rear shocks from my K-Sport coilover kit. If I ever decide to sell the K-Sport kit, I'll get a pair of HTS to go back there.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
minnyar

I am a little suprised Progress is pulling up the rear I thought they sold pretty well, what do you Progress owners have to say? Not stiff enough?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
I run blues and Progress springs and I think it's pretty stiff. Our freeways are pretty bad here though. On smooth surfaces, it's really nice. If most of your commute is on bumpy roads, I would do as Loren suggests and run a stiff rear sway bar and the adjustable Tokiko's with the stock springs.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
I'm currently running the Blues/S-Tech combo. I loved it at first, but after a year and a half, I'm ready for change! It rides beautifully on a super-smooth road, but is effen horrible on everything else. Being too low doesn't help either. I was looking at either going stock, stock springs/tokico struts, or trying the K-Sport GT springs with stock struts.
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
minnyar

Excellent stuff, thanks all. Maybe I want to go softer than I think Garm, you out there? I demand your opinionplease
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
yeah I'm the one who will recommend the Progress for you. Teins are very low, and AOE are the stiffest of the ones I offer.

Progress is comparable to a TRD spring, only less expensive.

Stock springs = stock ride height = ugly, sorry but that's what I think. Loren doesn't care about aethetics so while his answers are usually correct, they are biased for function only.

I'm only addressing his comments for clarity, not to argue at all. He is almost always spot on with respect to function.

*** I have a special on Tokicos coming up, stay tuned....
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
minnyar

Awesome, I'll be all over it!