Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Tokico Blues... Something ain't Right

I just installed tokico blues and tein springs earlier today. Was just out on the maiden voyage and was not happy one bit with the ride. VERY VERY bumpy/bouncy, and something doesn't seem right. I don't think it's the springs/ struts, but I'm not sure what to blame. My number one concern is with the bump stops...

For about the last year I've been driving around on DFs and stock struts just fine. At the time of that install I cut the bump stops to the bottom of the white urethane piece. Could that be the issue?

It also seems like the ride is better at highway speeds. Anyone got ideas?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I have TRD shocks and Tein S.Tech springs. I can tell you that everyone who rides in my car complain that "it's too bumpy/bouncy." I can't remember where we cut the bump stops when we installed everything (I think it might have been to the top of the white part), but I don't think that's the problem. I think it's just its nature.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
I have the same set up the blues and the tein springs, for now I am pleased with the ride and can't complain about a thing, I love it maybe its because you are not used to it yet and it feels weird but that will pass plus its awesome on the corners
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Bumpy-bouncy ride is the nature of the beast.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
if you JUST installed them, you need to give them a couple of weeks to fully settle in.

I had the same issue, it was so bouncy that I thought I was on a Cedar Point ride. They'll feel 10x better once the shocks and springs settle in.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
If you've gone from stock dampers to Blues then chances are you're not compressing anywhere near the bumpstops so that shouldn't be a concern.
You'll just need to adjust to having the increased damping. And yes, the springs may soften up a bit once broken-in. The dampers shouldn't change though.
Don't worry. In a couple weeks you'll be used to it and will not want to go back to spongy-rate OEM damping.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I still have my stock dampers however my ride improved greatly I think once I installed my AMR springs. I didn't cut the bumpstops, then again no one informed me that I needed to? My ride isn't more bouncy/bumpy than stock springs...much less actually. I will be interested to see what you figure out.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I know it's a dumb question, but are you sure the springs are correct -- right side up and fronts on the front?

The Teins are the lowest aftermarket spring, but you said you cut the bumpstops so you should be ok there.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Focus_Sh1ft

I'm gonna be pretty bummed if something isn't wrong, because this was not what I was expecting at all.

Anyways, I just checked the back springs and shocks and everything seems to be in order. The only oddity I noticed was on the front. The top of the strut doesn't sit flush with the chasis now, however I have a feeling that isn't a cause for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I know it's a dumb question, but are you sure the springs are correct -- right side up and fronts on the front?
I know the backs are fine, but you have me second guessing myself on the fronts. I'll double check sometime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strut.jpg (58.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
^ Is that a UFO?
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
^ Is that a UFO?
Lmao

Either that or the top of my strut. I think the latter is more likely.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've seen quite a few people here on the forum that have had that after installing new springs and shocks, not really sure why it's that way but it hasn't caused any harm to anyone that I can remember. I myself think my setup looks a little bit like that but no issues
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Dude, there's nothing wrong with your set-up. Was it professionally done? Did you get your wheels aligned? What did you expect, a super comfortable ride? Keep in mind that those tokico's are stiff ass shocks, and the tein's have a 1.9 inch drop. They are not the most comfy of shocks/springs, but they handle pretty damn good. I know, because that's what I had on my car for almost 2 years. Just get some other springs(nf210n stock,etc) that aren't so low, and you shouldn't have a problem. Enjoy!
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
I had DF210s with stock shocks/struts and after installing the blues my ride was bumpy/bouncy on the freeway or at high speeds. After a couple weeks it got better or I just got used to it. The handling difference was night and day though so it was totally worth it.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Focus_Sh1ft

I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS

... I need Recaro style seats

Seriously though, I've gotten used to the ride and the handling difference is definitely noticeable. Clearly I just wasn't expecting such a stiff ride.