Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
YarisBlazer

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Visiblity Question

Hi, new here; I dont own a Yaris yet but planning on getting a Liftback in near future; I havent been able to test drive a Liftback (only a sedan) as the dealers here in Tampa ,Florida sell them right off the truck; However where I work I spotted a silver Liftback in the parking lot yesterday and was able to get a closer (exterior) look; everything looked great but I have a question re: size of windshield and visibility; I am 6'2" and had no trouble fitting in the sedan; however I noticed my field of vision was stopped at the top as the windshield was low with respect to the ceiling; is the Liftback the same way? I am used to having a field of vision that includes a fair amount of sky at the top of the windshield; I couldnt tell from the LIftback if this was true on it or nor; any ideas/testimonials? Thanks !
YarisBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
I test drove the sedan and own a liftback. I can tell you the LB is much better, but then again it doesnt have a seat height adjuster, so they would probalby end up being about the same once you found a comfortable position in the sedan.
I am coming from an old 93 truck with great front windshield visibility, i loved it and miss it terribly. I am only 5,9 and coming from my my that truck the yaris front windhshield visibilty pisses me off. I imagine if you are anything like me, then with your additional height it will be unbearable within just a few weeks. I chose it in hopes of good gas mileage, but I didnt look into the scions (dealers around here kept trying to steer me away from them and i was ignorant). Consequently i havent test driven one, but i would say go give the Xb a try. Also, the ford focus 5 door is on sale until january it has a seat height adjuster and would probably have better front visibilty than either yaris.

End result, the LB is not bad at all, about the same as others, but if you really love that open feeling when looking out the front windshield then you will want to seriously consider some other vehicles. Though the side windows are pretty damn massive and was what allowed me to sacrifice the overhead front windshield visibility.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I am 5'10" and it seems like there is plenty more windshield above my field of vision when I sit in a Liftback.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13
I am 5'10" and it seems like there is plenty more windshield above my field of vision when I sit in a Liftback.
6'0'' here and the hatch is no problem for me
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I can see how at 6'2 it might be a little cramped... But remember the windshield rakes back quite far, and I found that really helps with the forward-upwards visibility

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
I'm 6'3" / 200lbs AND THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

I think there is less in our 2006 4Runner.

I would say that backing-up visibility is less than what I am used to in both vehicles. We previously had a '98 ranger and a '97 Explorer. (Yes, we went from from two Fords to two Toyotas!) The ranger in particular, being a standard cab PU had a really good view backwards.

I realize I have to be very careful when backing up either of our new vehicles.

Last edited by 60 Somethings; 11-19-2006 at 03:00 PM.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13
yep... no visibility problems here!

Thats the first thing I noticed when I sat in the yaris, great visibility... the roof dissapears, the hood is completely gone, the side windows are nice and low... along with nice big side mirrors, there really isn't much more to ask for.

edit, I'm 6'1", 225... and fit comfortably... only issue is with the seat back all the way, the steering wheel is kinda far away, but its not exactly out of reach.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Well i just wanted to say, i dont think he was necessarilly talking about visibility problems so much as excellent visibility. You certainly dont have any problems seeing the road and you dont ahve any problems seeing redlights unless you are just about to go under them. You can see the sky, but the roofline is clearly there with the visor, there is no exceptional upward visibility and so if he truly wants exceptional ability then this one would not be it, though it would certainly be sufficient to live in and wouldnt have any actual "visibility problems". Except for me the rear view mirror is a little to directly in sight of vision so if i am looking for something it is occasionally hard to read signs on stores. But it also helps with rearward visibility where as my olds truck had the rear view mirror way up to the right because of the huge straight windshield which allowed great allaround and upward visibility--unlike the yaris' extremelly raked windshield.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
spkrman
Banned

if you need to see straight up, just lean forward :)
Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
I'm 5'10" and have no visibility problems with my sedan. In fact it's a heck of a lot better than the 2000 Saturn SL 2 I was driving. I drive with my seat eighth adjusted up and the top of the windshield is fine for me. Never drove a lift-back so I can't speak for them.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #11
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
6'4"ish great head room, pretty good visibility. I do find myself stopping a bit further back at red lights like I would in a sports coupe. My only real visibility complaint is the headrest, if I move it from 0 to 1 notch up I completely lose peripheral vision over the left shoulder. It has only been an issue on road trips a reach for me to call it a flaw...gnat like nuisance would work though!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
YarisBlazer

Thanks for all the info guys ! This forum is the best !
Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #13
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
What will become of your screen name once you have one?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
YarisBlazer

Guess it will be "newyarisowner" or "happyyarisowner"; should I start a poll here ?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #15
spkrman
Banned

lol
Old 12-09-2006, 06:07 AM   #16
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I'm 6'1 but more on leg side. I actually have to glance up at the rearview mirror, so, it's not in my face. Visibility for me is spot-on, except for the side pillars which can be an issue when you're making a left turn.

I also like the fact that when looking down on the road, the view is not marred by the car's hood...it's just you and the road or similar to looking out your bay windows from home. Well, the windshield wipers does protrude slightly at the bottom edge, but I'm planning to replace it with the Reflex wiper blades (they're fame-less and sit very flat against the windshield).

View is great, but there's not enough leg space for me to comfortable hold my foot over the accelerator, which isn't a problem for day-to-day driving, but for long distance trip, a cruise control would be nice.

Toyota should make the cruise standard on the the Liftback. Considering that the Dealer installed cruise control is a simple plug & play setup, It was probably only left out as a money grab. It definitely should be part of the power-package options.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #17
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
The seating position on this car is my only gripe. You sit too high and not far enough back. I am definitely going to look into fixing both of those problems with either aftermarket seats or by using aftermarket sliders on the stock seats.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #18
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
I am coming from an old 93 truck with great front windshield visibility, i loved it and miss it terribly. I am only 5,9 and coming from my my that truck the yaris front windhshield visibilty pisses me off. I imagine if you are anything like me, then with your additional height it will be unbearable within just a few weeks.
understandable, but your issue isn't with the yaris per se but more about seating/driving position. you're basically sitting upright, almost like sitting at the kitchen table in a pickup. as such u don't require the leg room that a car does when you're in more of a legs-up position, almost like sitting upright in a recliner with your legs out in front of you. just by the mechanics of it in a sedan, you'll be further back and won't have the angle to look up etc. that, combined w/ the slope of the windshield and yes indeed your visibility is different than what you'd get in a truck. technically you could make the argument that your 93's front visibility sucked because it had a hood, unlike a flat-front Isuzu utility/moving truck. ;)
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote