Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
opinions

Recently I have been thinking of trading in my Pt cruiser for a 3 door Yaris.
I really cannot say why I feel the desire to do this. The only real reason I can come up with is that its small and i'm assuming pretty nimble. Gas mileage is always a plus, but I only put 12k miles a year on tops. The PT gets 20mpg and drinks premium. It looks cool and is damn fast, but it handles like garbage in stock form.

I guess i'm most worried that its going to be too slow. That wouldn't bother me so much if I knew it was a competent handler (which I don't know).

Im gonna head over to the dealer on Sunday to check them out up close without the sharks bothering me. I suppose most of my questions will be answered if I decide to test drive one.

I was hoping someone who went from something decently quick to the Yaris could make me feel better about the prospect of driving a 100hp car.

I actually had a 83 Omni a few years back that had a 1.7l 63HP engine. It was brutally slow, but the 4 spd manual helped it out a bunch. I planned on turning it into a GLH clone so I didn't really drive it much before I eventually sold it.
acrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
well i didnt come from anything fast, buti can tell you the handling is best described as so-so. It is difficult to make it go straight, and braking and accelerating affect its steering pretty badly.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
best overall car for my usages... not so low you feel like your getting up off the floor everytime to step out/high enough to see over some sedans when making a left turn... great MPG on regular gas... and plenty of leg and headroom.

As far as handling, I don't have any issues holding a straight line, I'm not sure what everyone else is driving that has to use 2 hands on the highway - I can let the wheel go and let it cruise even when moderately windy.

I'd describe handling as nimble... I like it alot more than ford focus, which was a recent test drivebefore the yaris purchase. There is some body roll due to higher stance, but its not unbearable, and if you push it past its limits you were likely driving way too fast to begin with.

I dont have any control issues braking or accelerating either.

Its definitely not the fastest car on the road, but you can drive "aggresively" and still get over 30mpg, very few cars can do that!

IMO, get a test drive of a few cars you like... get what you like the most after doing some reliability research.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
acrbill

After reading through these forums I came to the conclusion that even if the car is below my expectations in any area there is enough aftermarket support of remedy any situation.

I was excited to read about all the forced induction choices. Seems as if I could build a nice turbo kit to pep it up some.

I was even more amazed about the size of tire you can fit under the car.

I might be able to get back into auto-x with the Yaris. Its so small it would be like riding a bike through the cones.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Sounds like youve decided but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Mods for better performance are cheap and easy and would turn the Yaris into a pretty quick and nimble ride. Coilovers, a turbo and a nice set of 15in rims and youd have a nice ride for under 20k. Depending on the model maybe almost 17k in the US.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
I have to chime-in on this one!

We have had a lot of experience driving under 2.0L stickshift cars. They are by far the "funnest" cars we have owned over 40 yrs. Those cars include three Alfa Romeos ('71 Berlina, '74 Spider & '76 Alfetta Sedan). The other favorite - becuase you could run it flat out on the Coast Highway (Malibu to Pt Mugu) was our '79 Ford Fiesta. Now added to this group is our '07 Yaris LB.

The trick with small cars/engines is to take larger cars in the corners/curves - we love to watch on the transition roads as soooooo many drivers brake going into just about every curve at 60+ MPH. The trick is to drive smoothly and use your gears and the road.

The Yaris's brakes are excellent (yes, we have ABS) and we can usually get all the speed/acceleration we need, and only occassionally exceed 4000 RPM (per our Scan Gauge II).

And, YES, acceleration can affect steering - use it to your advantage to get the backend around coming out of a turn/curve.)

The only place you are at a disadvantage is on the highway at high speeds, but that's what our V8 4Runner is for - put your foot into it at 70 MPH on an uphill and it takes off like a rocketship. (and you get the gas bill to prove it........lol)

Around here there are so many folks in the 50-60 yr age range driving PT Cruisers - It's nice being different!

Last edited by 60 Somethings; 11-19-2006 at 03:54 PM.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
acrbill

So I went to the dealer today. I found the exact options and color I wanted at a dealer that was a few miles away. It seems to be geared pretty well so 1st gear felt pretty zippy. Steering wheel felt a bit light, but it was responsive. The little bit of turning I was able to fit in the test drive felt nice. The ass raping they attempted on my trade in was enough to make me walk away. Its a shame too since it was nicer than I anticipated. I might give them a call back on monday and see if we can try and make it work.

Here is my review of the Yaris hatch.

Seats look uncomfortable, but really arent that bad.
If your tall your out of luck, i'm 5'11" and with the seat all the way back my knees where bent up pretty good.

Hatch space was actually good enough for a medium sized grocery shop.

Interior design was sparse. Just the way I like it.

Shifter has a long rubbery feeling throw.

Gearing made 106 HP livable in 1st gear.

The car felt very very solid. A close of the door greets you with a tight thwump.

Fit and finish is top notch. Pictures of the car do not do it justice. With a set of bronze 17s the polar white hatch would look really sharp.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like giving in and letting the dealer have its way with me.

Last edited by acrbill; 11-26-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno
So I went to the dealer today. I found the exact options and color I wanted at a dealer that was a few miles away. It seems to be geared pretty well so 1st gear felt pretty zippy. Steering wheel felt a bit light, but it was responsive. The little bit of turning I was able to fit in the test drive felt nice. The ass raping they attempted on my trade in was enough to make me walk away. Its a shame too since it was nicer than I anticipated. I might give them a call back on monday and see if we can try and make it work.

Here is my review of the Yaris hatch.

Seats look uncomfortable, but really arent that bad.
If your tall your out of luck, i'm 5'11" and with the seat all the way back my knees where bent up pretty good.

Hatch space was actually good enough for a medium sized grocery shop.

Interior design was sparse. Just the way I like it.

Shifter has a long rubbery feeling throw.

Gearing made 106 HP livable in 1st gear.

The car felt very very solid. A close of the door greets you with a tight thwump.

Fit and finish is top notch. Pictures of the car do not do it justice. With a set of bronze 17s the polar white hatch would look really sharp.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like giving in and letting the dealer have its way with me.
...when trading in, you just have to bend over and learn to like it... lol

I have had mine 3 weeks and love more each day . Your observations I would agree with; I was just driving the other day and was thinking about how uncannily comfortable the seats are, and I am 200lbs+. I seems that the reviews that dis the car seem to expect sports car performance out of a subcompact. I just remember what I am driving and what it is giving me and it feels great - including the handling.

All this to say, if you have the right attitude about driving this type of car, I am sure you will love it and never look back (after the soreness in your rear goes away)
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
acrbill

I did some number crunching today and if I keep my current car I will be upside down on it for 80% of the remaining loan term.

If I go with the Yaris, even with the horrid hit I'm taking on the trade I will break even a lot sooner. I looked up how much a 2 model year old Echo goes for and that pretty much was the deal maker.

I was your typical "I only buy American and if you don't your an asshole". Its the mentality that lead me to buy shitty cars that put me in a deep hole.

The only reason American manufacturers are still in business is because they know they have a customer base of people who refuse to buy foreign.

There is no motivation to build better cars.

Not sure how many Chicago Cubs fans are here, but its exactly the same situation. The owners don't feel the need to build a championship team since the ball park is full every game. (yes I know they recently dropped major coin on some good talent but look at the past 10 years)

I hope to work out a deal tomorrow and have some pics of a polar white hatch to show everyone.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
acrbill

Picked up my polar white hatch today. Its a great little car. Will have some pics up tommorow.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Quote:
Not sure how many Chicago Cubs fans are here, but its exactly the same situation. The owners don't feel the need to build a championship team since the ball park is full every game. (yes I know they recently dropped major coin on some good talent but look at the past 10 years)
Hey Geno... we White Sox fans don't have that problem!

Sorry... had to rub it in...

Hope you enjoy your new Yaris! Mine is due in February.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Recently I have been thinking of trading in my Pt cruiser for a 3 door Yaris.
I really cannot say why I feel the desire to do this. The only real reason I can come up with is that its small and i'm assuming pretty nimble. Gas mileage is always a plus, but I only put 12k miles a year on tops. The PT gets 20mpg and drinks premium. It looks cool and is damn fast, but it handles like garbage in stock form.

I guess i'm most worried that its going to be too slow. That wouldn't bother me so much if I knew it was a competent handler (which I don't know).

Im gonna head over to the dealer on Sunday to check them out up close without the sharks bothering me. I suppose most of my questions will be answered if I decide to test drive one.

I was hoping someone who went from something decently quick to the Yaris could make me feel better about the prospect of driving a 100hp car.

I actually had a 83 Omni a few years back that had a 1.7l 63HP engine. It was brutally slow, but the 4 spd manual helped it out a bunch. I planned on turning it into a GLH clone so I didn't really drive it much before I eventually sold it.
Well, guess what i went from a 2003 pt cruiser Gt, dyno'd at 250 whp, and yep the yaris is damn slow, but actually feels very peppy (it weigh a bit less then the pt) also i own the sedan yaris, and at highspeeds its nothing compared to the pt, it scary, handles like s$$T, I miss my PT cruiser GT.

But I am saving on fuel, and insurance rates.

Last edited by punch; 09-27-2007 at 07:45 PM.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
acrbill

I was undecided about trading the PT in until I started looking down the road and how much the PT would be worth. I doubt I will ever miss my PT, save for those few moments when I floor it and am not met with squealing tires from a 50 MPH roll.

After putting around town for a day I decided to fill up the tank so I could get an accurate mileage test. The dealer said they filled the tank but who knows what their definition of full is.

Gas was 2.239 and it took .85 cents before clicking off.

I force fed it until it started coming up the neck so I could reproduce the amount of gas when I refill it.

Sox sure did a good job this year! NOT!!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:

I force fed it until it started coming up the neck so I could reproduce the amount of gas when I refill it.

Sox sure did a good job this year! NOT!!
over filling is a bad idea, it even says in the manual to stop at the first click, you can damage your (vapour something or the other purge filter?)
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
There is a coal filter type thingy that can be damaged if you overfill the tank.

Congrats on the purchase. My other (older) car is a Saab Viggen, and while the power is much less, the yaris is just as fun to drive.